Doumit with the Atlanta Braves
April 3, 1981 |
Moses Lake, Washington
|June 5, 2005 for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through 2014 season)
|Runs batted in||413|
Ryan Matthew Doumit (born April 3, 1981) is an American professional baseball catcher who is a free agent. He played the first seven years of his career for the Pittsburgh Pirates, and then with the Minnesota Twins for two seasons and Atlanta Braves for one season.
After six seasons in the minor leagues, Doumit made his major league debut on June 5, 2005, against the Atlanta Braves. During his rookie season, Doumit played primarily as a backup catcher but also served as the Pirates' designated hitter in interleague games.
In 2008, Doumit played exclusively as the Pirates' starting catcher. He was once again plagued by injury and missed three weeks with a broken thumb. He returned to the lineup and consistently kept his batting average above .330 throughout the rest of the summer. Doumit shared the National League's Player of the Week award for the week ending June 16, 2008, hitting .400 and 4 home runs during the week. On September 26, Doumit attempted to throw out Willie Harris trying to steal 2nd base, but instead plunked Pirates pitcher John Grabow; see 
On December 22, Doumit agreed to a three-year contract with the Pirates to avoid arbitration.
Doumit began the 2009 year strongly, starting 11 of the first 12 games and hitting .244 with 2 home runs; however, he sustained a wrist injury in a game against the Atlanta Braves, later diagnosed as a fracture in the scaphoid bone. Doumit had surgery to repair the bone, and missed roughly 8–10 weeks. He finished 2009 with 16 doubles, no triples, 10 home runs, 38 runs batted in, 4 stolen bases, to go along with a .250 average, .299 on-base percentage, a .414 slugging percentage, in 280 at bats.
Doumit played in 124 games during the 2010 season with the Pirates. He batted .251 with 13 home runs and 51 runs batted in. His season ended due to injury.
For the 2011 season, Doumit was limited to just 77 games, in which he batted .303 with 10 home runs and 38 runs batted in. He became a free agent after the 2011 season, ending his tenure with the Pirates.
On June 29, 2012, the Twins signed Doumit to a two-year extension through the 2014 season. The extension is worth $7 million, and Doumit will make $3.5 million per year in 2013 and 2014.
- No more DH for Doumit
- Pirates Player Profile
- Doumit Earns National League Honor - Sports News Story - WTOV Steubenville
- Associated Press (2008-12-22). "Pirates, Doumit reach 3-year deal with options". sportingnews.com. Retrieved 2008-12-23.
- Doumit out with broken right wrist, Pittsburgh Pirates. Published April 21, 2009. Retrieved April 22, 2009.
- Crasnick, Jerry (November 18, 2011). "Ryan Doumit, Twins agree on deal". ESPN.com. Retrieved March 21, 2014.
- Bollinger, Rhett; Garretson, Jordan (June 29, 2012). "Twins sign Doumit to two-year extension". Twins.com. Retrieved March 21, 2014.
- Axisa, Mike (December 18, 2013). "Braves acquire Ryan Doumit from Twins for Sean Gilmartin". cbssports.com. Retrieved March 21, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ryan Doumit.|