|Single by Darude|
|from the album Before the Storm|
|Released||November 15, 1999|
|Format||CD single, 12" single|
|Recorded||JS16 Studios in 1999|
|Length||7:21 (Original Mix)
3:45 (Radio Edit)
|Darude singles chronology|
"Sandstorm" is a song by Finnish trance producer and DJ Darude. It was released on November 15, 1999 in Finland by 16 Inch Records, and re-released in Europe in 2000. "Sandstorm" was the best-selling 12" single worldwide in 2000. On March 1, 2010, over ten years after its release, the song was certified Gold in the United States by the Recording Industry Association of America for sales of over 500,000.
The song is also often used as background music for videos hosted on the internet, particularly on video sharing site YouTube, where uploads of the song's music video total over 30,000,000 views.
The video for the song features Darude with headphones (Sony MDR-F1 model) viewing two people (a man and a woman) chasing a woman with a case. It was filmed at Helsinki Senate Square. Darude seems to appear at every place the pursuers and the pursued go. Near the end, the woman with the case stumbles and one of her pursuers (the other woman) betrays her partner, knocking him out. The woman and the partner take the case onto a boat with Darude.
In video gaming
The song appeared as a licensed song on DDRMAX Dance Dance Revolution, UBeat, Jukebeat, Jubeat Knit and Dance Central 2. The song was also featured on the NHL 11 and NHL Slapshot soundtracks. The song also appears in Conker's Bad Fur Day.
Darude - Sandstorm is also used for the trolols in the League of Legends community when people ask what song is playing during live streams. i.e. "what remix of darude sandstorm is this"
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)|
||This article may contain excessive, poor, or irrelevant examples.|
In October 2006, Sandstorm was played for the first time, (on a trial basis and almost by accident), by The University of South Carolina Gamecocks Williams-Brice Stadium audio/video crew. The South Carolina Gamecocks are an American college football team and member of the Southeastern Conference. The song, on a whim, was being tried as a new 'pump-it-up' sound, and was met with approval by supporters, particularly the students in the North End-zone section of the stadium. USC students and fans, almost instantly, made Sandstorm an unofficial anthem. The song is now played over the Williams-Brice Stadium speakers before kickoffs and it is timed to end when the kicker makes contact with the football. Gamecock fans jump to the beat of the music while waving white rally towels rapidly above their heads in unison. (The genesis of rally towels at South Carolina is traceable to Carolina students, in 2007, who began ripping their shirts off and swinging them over their heads when Sandstorm was played. This practice led to obvious issues which eventually forced officials to hand-out smaller rally towels for the fans to use.) The tradition has grown to include the crowd chanting "USC!" in sync with the music. The song has since been added to Carolina Stadium for baseball after home runs. After Williams-Brice Stadium installed a new scoreboard in 2012, the sides of the video board were designed with lights that dance in a trance during the song. The Carrier Dome uses the song during Syracuse Football games and Syracuse Basketball games during kickoff and tipoff.
The Columbia Blowfish, a collegiate summer baseball in Columbia, play Sandstorm at the top of the ninth inning. The crew in the press box sync up a light show while jumping around waving rallying towels. The Blowfish currently play at Historic Capital City Stadium, which is located a mile from the The University of South Carolina's Williams-Brice Stadium.
The Chicago Blackhawks currently play this song at home games at the United Center when a penalty is called on their opponent, resulting in a power play. The Ottawa Senators, another NHL team, also play the song after a penalty is called on their opponents, usually right after a chime.
During the 2013 MLB season, Boston Red Sox closer Koji Uehara has used Sandstorm as his intro music at Fenway Park when entering games.
- CD single
- "Sandstorm" (Radio Edit) – 3:46
- "Sandstorm" (Original Mix) – 7:26
- "Sandstorm" (JS16 Remix) – 7:21
- Sandstorm (The Remixes) - EP (iTunes Download)
- "Sandstorm" (Radio Edit) – 3:49
- "Sandstorm" (Extended) – 7:26
- "Sandstorm" (Dallas Superstarts Remix) – 8:24
- "Sandstorm" (Komytea Radio Remix) – 3:54
- "Sandstorm" (Komytea Remix) – 7:40
- "Sandstorm" (DJ Ray Aka Tom Hafman Remix) – 7:13
- "Sandstorm" (Superchumbo's Sandy Storm) – 8:38
- "Sandstorm" (Jan Driver Remix) – 6:16
- "Sandstorm" (Ronyz Rework) – 6:20
Charts and certifications
"It Feels So Good" by Sonique
|Norwegian Singles Chart number-one single
July 27, 2000 – August 31, 2000
"Music" by Madonna
- DJ Ron Slomowicz. "Interview with Darude". About.com. Retrieved 2009-11-14.
- Ron Slomowicz (September 15, 2003). "DJ Ron's Dance Music Blog: Darude". About.com Dance Music / Electronica. About.com. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
- RIAA Sandstorm Certification. RIAA. Retrieved March 15, 2010.
- "Sandstorm", in various singles charts Lescharts.com (Retrieved July 2, 2010)
- Logan Smith (Nov 30, 2010). "USC students, fans make "Sandstorm" their unofficial anthem". WIS. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Profile". Dramatic Dream Team (in Japanese). Archived from the original on February 11, 2007. Retrieved November 30, 2012.
- "Australian-charts.com – Darude – Sandstorm". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Darude – Sandstorm – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Darude – Sandstorm" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Darude – Sandstorm" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Danishcharts.com – Darude – Sandstorm". Tracklisten.
- "Darude: Sandstorm" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Darude – Sandstorm" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- Italian peak
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Darude search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Darude – Sandstorm". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Darude – Sandstorm". VG-lista.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Darude – Sandstorm" Canciones Top 50.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Darude – Sandstorm". Singles Top 60.
- "Darude – Sandstorm – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart". UK Singles Chart. The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- "Darude | AllMusic". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Darude; 'Sandstorm')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "År 2000" (in Swedish). Swedish Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- "Certified Awards Search". British Phonographic Industry. 7 July 2000. Retrieved 9 February 2011.