|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find links tool for suggestions. (April 2014)|
Scott Cole (born February 20, 1962) specializes in T'ai chi, yoga, general fitness, children's fitness, strength, and mobility training for the elderly and the physically challenged. Cole founded Get Fit America movement that seeks to reduce the incidence of childhood obesity in the United States.
As of 2012 Cole resided in Palm Springs, California, where he devotes his life to increasing America's overall "wellness literacy". He was named one of the "top 5 fitness instructors in the world" by IDEA and the Association of Fitness Professionals & Associates (AFPA) and was featured in The Wall Street Journal as one of the US' leading fitness experts in T'ai chi and qigong.
- 1 Professional life
- 2 Solo Videography
- 3 Additional Videos co-starring Jeff Vandiver
- 4 Bibliography (Books)
- 5 Bibliography (Publications- partial list)
- 6 Music Collections
- 7 Airings and Guest Appearances (Partial List)
- 8 Published works
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Born in Houston, Texas, Cole was an athlete in school, and he played basketball and tennis—in high school, Cole began studying acting. He later graduated from the McCombs School of Business (BBA, International Business 1984) at the University of Texas at Austin.
Cole was a Texas Longhorns Head Cheerleader, leading the squad to a 2nd place National finish at the National Cheerleaders Association College Championship in 1983. In 1987, he and his choreographed trio appeared on ESPN for their victory at the Crystal Light National Aerobic Championship—Cole's team was the first all-male competitor to win in the history of the championship. Following the ESPN coverage, Cole appeared in print publications USA Weekend, Men's Fitness, and Shape; Cole was photographed in a 1987 edition of Shape magazine carrying Jane Fonda onstage for her Fitness Lifetime Achievement Award.
Travel and video
After traveling to over 30 countries teaching aerobics, health and fitness as an American Council on Exercise and Aerobics and Fitness Association of America certified fitness instructor, Cole starred in the Buns of Steel video series, starring in Abs of Steel 2 for Men and Buns of Steel Power Stretch. He is an AAAI-ISMA certified fitness trainer. Over the following years, the "Abs of Steel Guru" incorporated Eastern disciplines such as T'ai chi and yoga into aerobics-based workout routines. Scott landed the starring role in the Discover Tai Chi series that he now owns and produces video and DVD programs including dance, martial arts, yoga, t'ai chi, qigong, strength, cardio, stretching, mobility, flexibility, and child and senior fitness.
Scott has trained a host of celebrity clients including singer Barry Manilow, actor Christian Bale, actress Stefanie Powers, actor Gena Lee Nolin, actress Suzanne Somers, screenwriter David Lee and human rights activist/former National Football League running back David Kopay. He is currently training the photographer Michael Childers (Cole is also an accomplished photographer. He worked with Tunisian Olympic swimming gold medalist "Ous", Oussama Mellouli and trained Temptations bass singer Melvyn Franklin.
A number of corporations marketing fitness products such as Nike and LA Gear have worked with Scott Cole to bring their messages of fitness and wellness to the masses, as have food and beverage makers such as Snapple. Scott served as a Nike Fitness Athlete and was the co-creator of Nike Stretch. Scott choreographed Italy's Zegna Sport fashion show on Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills in the high-profile "Vogue Takes Beverly Hills" event.
Public speaking and consultancy
Cole's home base is the Well Spirit Fitness Center in Palm Springs. He gives keynote speeches, motivational lectures, seminars, workshops and classes on fitness, health, stress reduction, and organic living. His corporate clients include Cisco Systems, the United States Navy, Snapple, Northern Trust Bank, Zegna Sport, Starlight and the Cartus Annual Forum. Scott conducts Wellness Weekends at spas, resorts and spiritual centers, including Canyon Ranch (Lenox, Ma), Bacara Resort (Goleta/Santa Barbara, CA), Green Gulch Farm Zen Center, La Costa Resort and Spa, La Quinta Resort and Club, The Lodge at Woodloch Pines (Hawley, PA), Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health (the Berkshires, Ma, Lakewoods Resort (Cable, WI), and Lake Austin Spa Resort (Texas). Scott contributed to Frostburg State University's CHILL Campaign (Creating Healthy Informed Lasting Lifestyles) to improve health and wellness at the university level.
Get Fit America For Kids
Scott received an AFAA Aerobics and Fitness Association of America Notable Award in 1991 for his work with abused children (Free Arts for Abused Children) and AIDS patients (Strength for the Journey Camps). Cole remains committed the education of children, both in fitness and wellness, but also in the arena of childhood obesity. To this end, he founded the Get Fit America for Kids movement and wrote articles to provide guidance for kids, parents and educators.
Cole starred in and produced fitness videos beginning in 1989 with co-star Jeff Vandiver. His solo videos and DVDs include the acclaimed Abs of steel series Get Fit America for Kid's Workout was awarded the NAPPA award  for the Best Children's Fitness DVD.
Cole produced and published music for the fitness and yoga industries including over 20 collections of active and meditative music for group exercise primarily distributed through Dynamix Music with many soundtracks orchestrated by Daveed.
Cole appeared on television, internet, and radio shows including Live with Regis and Kelly, The View (U.S. TV series) and the The Early Show. He hosts a 'Weekly Wake Up To Wellness TV segment televised by CBS affiliate KPSP Local 2 in the Coachella Valley and is the co-author of the book, Athletic Abs.
In 2011, Cole became the Creative Editor of Going Organic Guide, seeking to teach organic lifestyle, food and product choices, with the goal of making the public aware and accountable that their actions, both as citizens and consumers, have a profound impact on our environment and on our society as a whole.
Modeling and acting
A print and runway model since age 18, Cole was represented by agencies such as Models of Houston, Kim Dawson Agency (Dallas), Wilhelmina Models West (Los Angeles) and as of 2012 was represented by CESD Talent Agency (Los Angeles). He is a member of SAG Screen Actors Guild and AFTRA.
- Scott Cole's Yoga Tai Chi. Dir. Scott Cole. Bayview Entertainment, August 2011. DVD. ASIN B0051F2AEI
- Scott Cole's Discover Tai Chi for Beginners. Dir. Scott Cole. Bayview Entertainment, February 2009. DVD. ASIN B001N4K6M4SC
- Scott Cole's Discover Tai Chi AM/PM Workouts. Dir. Scott Cole. Bayview Entertainment, March 2009. DVD. ASIN B001OSC4F6
- Scott Cole: Discover Tai Chi for Back Care Gentle Workout. Dir. Scott Cole. Bayview Entertainment, March 2009. DVD. ASIN B001OSC4EW
- Scott Cole's Discover Tai Chi for Weight Loss. Dir. Scott Cole. Bayview Entertainment, February 2006. DVD. ASIN B001N4K6LU
- Scott Cole's Discover Tai Chi for Balance and Mobility. Dir. Scott Cole. Bayview Entertainment, December 2010. DVD. ASIN B0046ZE30E
- Chair Strength and Stretch with Scott Cole. Dir. Scott Cole. Bayview Entertainment, May 2008. DVD. ASIN B0015RB6MI
- Scott Cole's Breath and Chi Kung. Dir. Scott Cole. Bayview Entertainment, May 2008. DVD. ASIN B0015RB6M8
- Scott Cole: Millennium Stretch. Dir. Scott Cole. Bayview Entertainment, September 2008. DVD. ASIN B001CO429I
- Scott Cole: Tai Chi Training (Gentle Chi). Dir. Scott Cole. Bayview Entertainment, September 2008. DVD. ASIN B001BR4Z1Q
- Scott Cole: Best Abs Workout on Earth. Dir. Scott Cole. Bayview Entertainment, August 2008. DVD. ASIN B001AUKUWW
- Scott Cole's Disco Dojo Workout. Dir. Scott Cole. Bayview Entertainment, January 2011. DVD. ASIN B004AE556G
- Scott Cole: Get Fit America for Kid's Workout. Dir. Scott Cole. Bayview Entertainment, January 2011. DVD. ASIN B004AGN9N0
- Scott Cole:Get Fit America for Kid's Workout-Live. Dir. Scott Cole. Bayview Entertainment, March 2011. DVD. ASIN B004J0Q6Q4
Additional Videos co-starring Jeff Vandiver
- Bodysculpt Plus
- Fitness A La Carte CIA 1007
- Jeff and Scott's Excellent Workout
- Jeff and Scott's Classic Cardio
- Jeff and Scott's Studio Jam
- Jeff and Scott's Step Factory
- Perfect Body [Germany]
- Cole, Scott. Athletic Abs. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 2003 ISBN 0-7360-4121-4
- Cole, Scott. Abdominales Atleticos: entrenamiento avanzado para un fortalecimiento muscular efectivo. Madrid: Tutor, 2003. ISBN 84-7902-405-4
- Cole, Scott. Addominali atletici : [il miglior core training per il fitness]. Figline Valdarno (Fi: Sandro Ciccarelli, 2004. ISBN 88-87197-80-6
- C. Коул. "БРЮШНОЙ ПРЕСС". <<Попурри>>, 2007. ISBN 978-985-483-832-8
- Schlosberg, Suzanne. Fitness for Travelers : the ultimate workout guide for the road. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2002. ISBN 0-618-11592-7
Bibliography (Publications- partial list)
- Cole, Scott. "Organic Food And Movement." Going Organic Guide, Spring 2011: 10-11
- Losefsky, Pam. "Lifting Spirits and Buttocks to New Heights." Texas: McCombs School of Business Magazine, Fall/Winter 2002: 29
- Cole, Scott. "Come Out And Play! Get Fit America for Kids." Obesity Help Magazine, 2005 Issue 3: 30-3
- Cassity, Jessica. "Get Slim; Beat Stress." SELF, December 2007: 152-57
- Bender, Michelle. "Walk Off Belly Fat." Prevention, April 2007: 148-57
- Cole, Scott. "Walk Off Inches, Stride Off Stress." Family Circle, 10 August 2004: 82-6
- Asp, Karen. "Stop Stress; Start Walking." Family Circle, 8 July 2003: 84-7
- Dennis, Regina. "Breathtaking Competition." USA Weekend, 17–19 April 1987: 15
- Cole, Scott with Seabourne, Tom. "Flat Abs Fast!" Family CIrcle, 17 February 2004: 114-18
- Cole, Scott. "Stretching the Limits." American Fitness, May/June 1994: 48-51
- Cole, Scott. "Relax." Palm Springs Life, January 2002: 182-3, 192
- Cole, Scott. 'Warning: Cranky Man Turning Forty Ahead." Palm Springs Life, February 2002: 52
- Cole, Scott. "Get Out There!." Palm Springs Life, March 2002: 50-2
- Cole, Scott. "The Beauty About Truth." Palm Springs Life, April 2002: 58-60
- Cole, Scott. "Epiphany, Driver, and Step On It!" Palm Springs Life, May 2002: 46, 73
- Van Essen, Michael. "It's a Buff Life." Palm Springs Life, January 2001: 60, 107
- Soet, John Steven. "Bruce Lee's Isometric Workout." May 1988: 54-7
- Cole, Scott. "It's A Buff Life." Palm Springs Life, May 2001: 54-5
- Cole, Scott with ZaMoore, Debbie. "Partnered Yoga 2." Fit Yoga, February 2005: 74-7
- Cole, Scott with ZaMoore, Debbie. " Pose De Deux." Fit Yoga, August 2006: 48-53
- Cole, Scott. "The Art of Tai Chi." Fit Yoga, March 2004: 64-66
- Cole, Scott. "Journey to the Center of Yourself." Fit Yoga, March 2004: 38-9, 59
- Cole, Scott. "Calm the Mind." Fit Yoga, May 2005: 61
- Cole, Scott with ZaMoore, Debbie. "The Dynamics of Partnered Yoga." Fit Yoga, December 2004: 28-31
- Cole, Scott. "The Millenium Stretch-w Gena Lee Nolin." Fit, August 2003: 46-7
- Stein, Jeannie. "Footloose Fighting." Los Angeles Times 2 July 2007: p. F8.
- Hanc, John. "A Blend of Healing Arts." New York Newsday 7 April 2003: p. B23.
- Hellmich, Nanci. "Shaping Up For Summer." USA Today 1 June 2000: p. 8D.
- Omelianux, Scott. "We Can Work It Out." GQ, September 1995: 202-03
- Stacey, Michelle. "Fitness Your Body: Invisible Exercise of the Month." O: The Oprah Magazine, April 2003: 127
- Shelton, Linda. "Power Poses." Shape, October 1997: 116-121
- Foley, Kevin. "Five Minute Abs." Real Simple, February 2003: 69-72
- Wright, Bekah. "Healthy Start: Get Fit." Los Angeles Magazine, January 2004: 144-X
- Fazarri, Lori. "The Real Man of Steel." Toronto Sun, 28 April X: X
- Richmond, Joanne. "No Flab On These Abs." [interview with Triegen, Rita]; Toronto Sun, 30 May 1996: p. Lifestyle 66.
- Cole, Scott. "Male Order Aerobics." Men's Fitness, March 1988: 88-91, 119-120
- Cole, Scott. "Shoulder Holders." Men's Fitness, September 1996: 22
- Cole, Scott. "Delt Force." Men's Fitness, March 1997: 36-38
- Cole, Scott. "A Better Behind." Men's Fitness, May 1997: 32-34
- Cole, Scott. "Flexible Strength." Men's Fitness, July 1997: 74-79
- Cole, Scott. "Enviable Abs." Men's Fitness, October 1997: 38-41
- Cole, Scott. "Forgotten Leg Muscles." Men's Fitness, December 1997: 30-33
- "Abs For All: Fast Track Book Review." Men's Fitness, September 2003: 30
- Cole, Scott. "Fit To The Core: State-of-the-Art Core Training." Fitness RX for Women!, August 2003: 68-79
- Cole, Scott. "The Path of Least Resistance." Fitness RX for Women!, February 2004: 160-61
- Cole, Scott. "Fit To Be Outdoors." Fitness RX for Women!, June 2004: 142-43
- Cole, Scott. "Lifting Spirits and Buttocks To New Heights." Fitness RX for Women!, October 2003: 160-61
- Cole, Scott. "Flexibility in All Things." Fitness RX for Women!, December 2003: 164-65
- Cole, Scott. " Focus Is At the Core of Bankable Abs." Fitness RX for Women!, April 2004: 170-71
- Cole, Scott. "Doubling Up For Great Results." Fitness RX For Women!, August 2004: 132-33
- Cole, Scott. "Moving Slow in a Fast World: The Rise of Tai Chi in America." IDEA Fitness Journal, September 2004: Cover + 101-03
- Spencer, Jane. "The Next Yoga: A Sweat-Free Workout." Wall Street Journal 13 May 2003: p. D1.
- Schwartz, Abby. "Holistic Health." GLT, 23 June 2005: Cover, 41-44
- Cole, Scott. "Urban Rejuvenation." Benning's Health and Fitness Journal, March 2000: 24-28
- Cole, Scott. "Estira el cuerpo la mente." SHAPE Mexico, 1993 Octubre: 7, 36-43
- Cole, Scott. "El Alivio interno." SHAPE Mexico, 1994 Diciembre, 26-8
- Cole, Scott. " Tai Chi Energizante." Balance: Vida En Equilibrio; Mexico, 15 De Diciembre/15 De Enero, 2005-6
- Cole, Scott. " Survivor: St. Barth's." Destinations 111, March 2005: 84, 127-9
- Cole, Scott. "Should Only The Fittest Survive?" Destinations 111, January 2003: 48-50
- Cole, Scott. "Yin&Yang." Destinations 111, February 2003: 90-1
- Cole, Scott. "Wrestling with Self-Image." Destinations 111, March 2003: 64-5, 95-6
- Cole, Scott. "The Desert." Destinations 111, Holidays 2003: 100-05
- Cole, Scott. "Fit Tycoon." Brilliant: Texas Style and Substance, June/July 2004: 88-9
- Cole, Scott. "Tai Chi: Exploring the Evolution of Movement." Sun Wellness, June/July 2000: 24-26
- Neporent, Liz. "Get it Now: Flat Abs Fast." Fitness, June 2002: 165-8
- Allemann, Pius. "Weltmeister und Star-Choreographen: Jeff Vandiver und Scott Cole." Body in Shape, 92 Juni/Juli/Aug: 11-4
- Cole, Scott. "Let's Work Together." Aerobic Fitness, Ausgabe 1 1994 [im Deutsch]: 10-15
- Cole, Scott. "Hard Core." Frontiers, 1 August 2006: 51-2
- Bamberg, Matt. "Faith's Physical Focus." The Desert Sun 10 November 2001: p. D3
- Cole, Scott. "The Dune-Attuned Life." Dune, May/June 2007: p. 74-5
- Lucas, Christian. "Deux Americains a Marseille". Pleine Forme, Juillet-Aout 1992: p. 48-50
- Elam, Reid, Ph. D. "Best Warm-up and Cool-down Stretches". Joe Weider's SHAPE, December 1987: p. 55-60
- Green, Asante. "The Right Moves-Tai Chi May Become Part of School Gym Classes". The Stamford Advocate 14 January 2004: p. A1, A4
- Cole, Scott (with Valentin). "Stretching the Limits Masterclass: Nike Stretch Program". American Fitness, May/June 1994: p. 48-51
- Auger, Colette. "The Star of American Aerobics in Marseille". Le Provencal 19 Avril 1990: P. A1, A6
- "A Top Star With Heart". Shape Up, German Edition. 2/94: p. 42
- "Aerobica: Cole, destaque no fim de semana". Zero Hora 04.09.89
- Boa Forma (Brazil)
- Soul Dance
- Tangerine Green Music
- Tangerine Green Meditation
- Disco Dojo
- Yoga Tai Chi
- Yoga Tai Chi 2
- Body Meditations
- Retro Dance 2000
- Outer Space
- Mystical Music
- Tribal Madness
- Gypsy Fever
- Uncharted Territory
- Nanny Nanny Boo Boo [single]
- White Light Savasana
Airings and Guest Appearances (Partial List)
- CNN Headline News
- The Doctors (2008 TV series)
- Live with Regis and Kelly
- The View (U.S. TV series)--[4 seg]
- The Early Show--[4 seg]
- Soap Talk
- Hard Copy
- George and Alana
- Crook & Chase
- Later with Greg Kinnear
- ABC's Sounds of Summer Preview 1996 (Co-Host with Cory Everson)
- ESPN; National Aerobic Championship 1987 (National Champion) and 1988 (returning)
- TV Asahi; All-Japan Championship, Tokyo
- England's Big Breakfast
- GMTV - U.K.
- E!--Top 100 Hollywood Makeovers
- HGTV--Smart Solutions
- The Food Network (15 episodes as co-star on 'Weighing In', 2005)
- NBC's The Other Half
- AM Los Angeles
- Good Day New York
- Wake Up To Wellness
- Athletic Abs
- Staff (2012). "Info". Get Fit America For Kids. Get Fit America For Kids. Retrieved 21 May 2012.
- Spencer, Jane. The Next Yoga: a Sweat-Free Workout. The Wall Street Journal 13 May 2003: p. D1
- Van Essen, Michael. It's A Buff Life. Palms Springs Life. January 2001. p. 60, 107.
- Alumni Who's News. Texas, The McCombs School of Business Magazine. Fall/Winter 2002. p. 29.
- SHAPE Magazine, November 1987
- Cole, Scott. Delt Force. Men's Fitness. March 1997. p: 36-8.
- Weber, Carol Ann. Fit to the Core. Fitness RX for Women. August 2003. p:68-79
- Adams, Samantha. Editor's Picks. Brilliant. June 2008. p. 16
- Wilson, Rhonda (ed.). Stretching the Limits. American Fitness. May/June 1994. p. 48-51
- Weber, Carol Ann. Fit to the Core. Fitness RX for Women!. August 2003. p:68-79.
- United States. "Scott Cole In The Kabc Report of Zegna Sport's Vogue Takes Beverly Hills". Wn.com. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- "Palm Springs". Spa Resort Casino. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- "Frostburg State University Web". Frostburg.edu. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- "Fitness guru grooves at FSU for CHILL initiative » Cumberland Times-News". Times-news.com. 2009-03-06. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- "American Fitness". American Fitness. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- "Free Arts for Abused Children - Home Page". Freearts.org. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- From U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "California: "Strength for the Journey" HIV Retreat". TheBody.com. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- "Scott Cole Fitness Expert Yoga Tai Chi Meditation Martial Arts Wellness Weekends - Events". Scottcole.com. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- (D. Hansen, personal communication, June 20, 2011)
- "Get Fit America for Kids by Scott Cole". Getfitamerica.us. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- Cole, Scott. Children and the Mind-Body Link. IDEA Fitness Journal. April 2005. p:64-70
- "Group Fitness and Workout Music : Great Mixed Music For Aerobic Instructors and Exercise Enthusiasts : CDs and Album Download". Dynamix Music. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- "Daveed homepage". Daveed.com. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- Staff (2005–2012). "Biography". WebMD - Better Information. Better Health. WebMD, LLC. Retrieved 21 May 2012.
- "Welcome to the Going Organic Guide". Goingorganicguide.com. Retrieved 2012-07-24.