July 1, 1966|
Sarnia, ON, CAN
|Died||August 5, 2013
St. Clair, MI, USA
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||215 lb (98 kg; 15 st 5 lb)|
|Played for||Detroit Red Wings
Tampa Bay Lightning
San Jose Sharks
|NHL Draft||7th overall, 1984
Detroit Red Wings
Burr was drafted in the first round (seventh overall) by the Detroit Red Wings in the 1984 NHL Entry Draft. Burr played 878 career NHL games with the Red Wings, Tampa Bay Lightning and the San Jose Sharks, scoring 181 goals and 259 assists for 440 points. He also garnered 1,069 penalty minutes.
Burr was the president of the Port Huron Icehawks IHL hockey organization.
Burr was born in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada and lived there until his hockey career began.
On February 27, 2011, it was reported that Burr was diagnosed with myeloid leukemia, which in some cases requires a bone marrow transplant. He successfully completed chemotherapy and was reportedly cancer free. However, it returned the following year.
Burr died on August 5, 2013 after a fall in his home caused massive brain trauma.
- "Former Red Wings Player Shawn Burr Dies At Age 47". detroit.cbslocal.com. August 5, 2013. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- Mitch Albom , Detroit Free Press, February 27, 2011
- Beard, Rob (August 5, 2013). "Former Red Wing Shawn Burr dies at age 47". The Detroit News. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- Sipple, George; St. James, Helene (August 6, 2013). "Former NHL player Shawn Burr dies at 47". USA Today. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- Shawn Burr's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Shawn Burr's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Legends of Hockey
|Detroit Red Wings first round draft pick
|This biographical article relating to a Canadian ice hockey centre born in the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|