December 26, 1982 |
New York, United States
Shirley Braha (born December 26, 1982) is the adoptive owner of popular internet dog Marnie the Dog. She has also been a TV producer and creator of the music television show New York Noise (2003-2010). and MTV Hive's indie music video show Weird Vibes (2011-2013).
Braha is a native of Brooklyn. At 16 she started a record label called Little Shirley Beans Records. From 2001-2002 she was programming co-director for the streaming internet radio site indiepopradio.com  At Smith College, Braha was a DJ at WOZQ and their Events Director. In 2001, Braha was featured in YM Magazine as "One of the 21 Coolest Girls in America". The Village Voice named her "Best D.I.Y. Go Girl Under 21" in their 2002 "Best of NYC" issue.
New York Noise (2003-2010)
Braha created New York Noise , an indie-rock TV show, in 2003 while interning at NYC TV. " She produced & edited the series. The program showcased underground music in unusual ways. Her production style “brought much needed originality to her field” according to the Village Voice. According to the New York Times, it is "a groundbreaking show that has attracted a loyal following "
Weird Vibes (2011-2013)
Shirley Braha is creator & producer of "Weird Vibes," a 30-minute indie music video show that she developed for MTV Hive. The show ran from August 2011 to September 2013.
Marnie the Dog (2012- Present)
Braha adopted an elderly Shih Tzu dog on December 20, 2012 and named her Marnie. Braha began regularly posting photos on Instagram in February 2014.
- Dodero, Camille. "Is New York Noise a Victim of NYC-TV's Post-Scandal Rebranding?". Village Voice. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- Phillips, Amy. </ "Best of NYC 2002: Best DIY Go Girl (Under 21)- Shirley Braha". The Village Voice. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- Fanelli, James. "NYC Show Aims to Fill MTV Video Void". AM New York.
- Kramer Bussell, Rachel. "Best local music groupie - 2006: Shirley Braha". Best of NYC 2006. The Village Voice.
- Harari, Yvonne. "New York Noise Interview With Shirley Braha". Image Magazine.
- Carlson, Jen. "Shirley Braha, New York Noise". Gothamist.com. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- n/a. "Smith College People News". Smith College News. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- Katchen, Andrew (August 16, 2005). "Ch. 25's 'Noise' has its ear to the Underground Music Scene.". NY Daily News.
- Winnie, Hu. "Hour After Hour, One Station Is Devoted to Pulse of New York". The New York Times. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- Phillips, Amy. "Best Unnecessary but Totally Rad Use of the City's Money, Music Division - 2005 : New York Noise". Best of NYC 2005.
- McKinley, James (August 10, 2011). "MTV to Start Webcast Devoted to Emerging Bands". New York Times. Retrieved 18 August 2011.