Shontelle at the 15th Annual Arthur Ashe Kids Day on August 28, 2010 at Billie Jean King Stadium in Queens, New York.
|Birth name||Shontelle Layne|
|Born||4 October 1985|
|Origin||Saint James, Barbados|
Shontelle Layne (born 4 October 1985), known professionally as Shontelle, is a Barbadian singer-songwriter. She released her debut album Shontelligence in November 2008. Her second album, No Gravity, was released in September 2010. Her singles, "T-Shirt", and "Impossible", achieved modest international success.
Shontelle began work on her debut studio album in early 2008, and completed the album in six months. The album's title was given to her by the album's engineer who used the word "shontelligence" as a joke after Shontelle and her producers were playing a game that involved making up words from her name. "T-Shirt", Shontelle's debut single, was released in July 2008 and reached number thirty-six on the US Billboard Hot 100, becoming a moderate hit. However, it peaked within the top ten of the charts in Belgium and the United Kingdom.
Shontelle's debut album, Shontelligence, was released on 18 November 2008. The album reached number 115 on the US Billboard 200, selling 6,200 records in its first week, and reached number twenty-four on the R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart. It was re-released on 10 March 2009, and has since sold 30,000 records in the US.
The second single from the album, "Stuck with Each Other", featuring Akon, was released in February 2009 in the US and May 2009 in the UK. The single failed to chart in the US, but reached number twenty-three in the United Kingdom. Shontelle toured as a supporting act for the UK leg of the New Kids on the Block World Tour in January 2009. Shontelle was also Beyoncé Knowles' opening act for her I Am... Tour from May to June 2009 during the British leg.
Shontelle was also the host of My Prom Style! and Universal Motown's 2009 Ultimate Prom fashion reality series. She performed at a high school prom in New York City in June 2009, but first she led three students in a competition to design the dress that singer Kat DeLuna, the headliner, wore at the Ultimate Prom concert.
As of 2012, Shontelligence has sold 50,000 copies in the US.
No Gravity (2009–2010)
Shontelle's second album, No Gravity, was released in the US on 21 September 2010. Shontelle stated that the album would be experimental and that she wanted to change her original sound for the record. While the title 'No Gravity' symbolises a mantra, Shontelle states she has adapted to her life and to her career, to motivate herself to keep climbing higher and to have nothing hold her down or hold her back. Shontelle collaborated with Bruno Mars, Tony Kanal and Darkchild among others for the record. In the first week of release, No Gravity placed at number eighty-one on the Billboard 200, selling 7,000 copies. Later that year Shontelle would co-write Rihanna's song "Man Down" from her fifth studio album, Loud (2010).
The lead single from the album, "Impossible", was released in February 2010 for digital download, but failed to garner success until May 2010, when it debuted on the Billboard Hot 100. It has since become her most successful single to date, reaching number thirteen on the Billboard Hot 100. The second single from the album, "Perfect Nightmare", was released in August 2010. "Say Hello to Goodbye" was sent to pop radio on 15 March 2011, as the third single. Both failed to chart on the Hot 100, however both managed to chart on the Pop songs chart. No Gravity has sold an estimated 150,000 copies in the US as of 2012.
Move to Republic Records and third studio album (2011–present)
Shontelle played at GUMBO @ The Canal Room in New York City on 15 July 2011, where she revealed news about an upcoming single and third studio album. It was also revealed that she had departed from Universal Motown and had joined Universal Republic. The lead single from the upcoming album is called "Reflection" and it premiered on SoundCloud in September 2011. Songs from the album were expected to be previewed at Shontelle's birthday bash. Amongst those confirmed to be working on the album were Rockwilder, Tony Kanal, and The Runners. Following a restructure at Universal Music Group whereby Motown Records was separated from Universal Motown Republic Group and merged with The Island Def Jam Music Group. Subsequently left as a stand alone label, Universal Republic was shut down and instead all artists were transferred to the newly revived Republic Records. Shontelle is now recording for Republic Records. In December 2012, Shontelle confirmed that "Put Me On Blast" would be the lead single from her upcoming third studio album, and that she has already filmed the music video for the single in Los Angeles, California. Her third album was scheduled for release in 2013, but, was not released, and no future dates have been announced.
Shontelle is also known for her involvement in some charity work. She has lent her talent in raising funds for patients with Alzheimer's in the Together for Care concert, girl's education for She's the First, VH1 Save the Music Foundation, and breast cancer research charities.
- Studio albums
- 2009: I Am... Tour (supporting act)
- 2010: To the Sky Tour by Kevin Rudolf (supporting act)
- 2010/11: Jason Derulo World Tour (supporting act)
On 27 February 2011, Shontelle played a headlining gig at 90 Degrees Pub in Southampton.
On 28 February 2011, Shontelle played a headlining gig at Glam Nightclub in Cardiff.
On 15 May 2011, Shontelle played a co-headlining show at Star 102.1's Star Jam in Pigeon Forge, TN.
On 3 July 2011, Shontelle performed in Altamonte Springs, Florida at Red, Hot and Boom.
- "Shontelle". Republic Records. Retrieved 18 November 2012.
- "Shontelle". Discogs. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- Pete Lewis Interviews Shontelle 'Blues & Soul', February 2009
- "Shontelligence - Shontelle". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2010-09-27.
- "HITS Daily Double: Upcoming Releases". HITS Daily Double. Retrieved 2010-09-27.
- Shontelle going on UK tour with Beyonce Shonetelle Online.
- "No Gravity: Shontelle: Music". Amazon.com. 9 September 2009. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- "Shontelle plans new music direction". Digital Spy.
- Shontelle interview by Pete Lewis, 'Blues & Soul' September 2010
- "Shontelle Talks New Album, Dream Collabo & Rihanna | This is RnB - Hot Music News, Latest R&B Videos, Hip Hop Charts". This is RnB. 12 April 2010. Retrieved 2011-03-18.
- "Shontelle ‘No Gravity’ Debuts At…". 29 September 2010. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- "Rihanna loves ‘Man Down’ (co-written by Shontelle)". Shontelleonline.com. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- "Impossible [Main] - Shontelle". Billboard.com.
- "Shontelle - Say Hello to Goodbye Lyrics and Video". musicloversgroup.com. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- "Exclusive: Shontelle reveals new album details + New single ‘Reflection’". Shontelleonline.com. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- "Shontelle moves to Republic Records". Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "Actor aids fight against Alzheimer's". .tbo.com. 3 December 2010. Retrieved 2011-03-18.
- "Rising Pop Stars Jam at Girls Who Rock Benefit Concert". NBC New York. Retrieved 2011-03-18.
- "Vangarde Girl Nelle with Fashion Guru Phillip Bloch". Vangarde Girls. Retrieved 2011-03-18.
- "Asher Roth, Melanie Fiona, Ray J, and Shontelle, along with Pitbull, 50 Cent, Nelly, Flo Rida and DJ Cassidy to Perform at the Third Annual Think Pink Rocks Concert on October 9 to Benefit Breast Cancer Research Charities". Premier Guide Miami. Retrieved 2011-03-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shontelle.|