Signpost Corner, Isle of Man
Signpost Corner, Isle of Man is a road junction situated between the 36th Milestone and 37th Milestone road-side markers on the Snaefell Mountain Course on the primary A18 Bemahague Road and the secondary B11 Avondale Road in the parish of Onchan in the Isle of Man.
The name derives from a signal station for the Isle of Man TT races and Manx Grand Prix. The signal station at Signpost Corner was connected to the TT Race Scoreboards in Glencrutchery Road in Douglas by a telephone land-line. Officials on TT Scoreboards will switch on a light above a riders individual scoreboard which will indicate to pit-crew and race-officials that a particular rider has passed Signpost Corner and may be shortly pulling into the TT Grandstand to refuel.
The corner was widened during the winter of 1953/54 and the road re-profiled. In recent years the signal station has been moved to a preceding position on the course at Cronk-ny-Mona as race speeds have increased.
George MacDonald Fraser, author of the Flashman series of books, lived on the Isle of Man and titled his 2002 autobiographical memoir of his experiences as a Hollywood scriptwriter, "The Light's on at Signpost".
- TT 100 The Official Authorised History of the Isle of Man Tourist Trophy Racing page 27 by Mick Duckworth (2007) Lily Publications Ltd ISBN 1 899602 67 4 - ".... I really like Cronk-ny-Mona, taking the four lefts in one sweep....Then your hard on the brakes to steady up and chuck it into Signpost (Corner).... Isle of Man TT winner John McGuinness.
- Isle of Man TT by Charles Deane pp10–11 (1st Edition)(1975) Patrick Stevens Ltd ISBN 0-85059-172-4
- Isle of Man Weekly Times dated 29 May 1954
- TT News pp 2 – Report 1 2006 Isle of Man Newspapers
- Prohibited Area Page 32 Signpost Corner Isle of Man TT Races/ Manx Grand Prix
- The Isle Of Man (IOMTT): Corner Guide (slow) and Scenery video, rider perspective (Signpost Corner at about 53:00), at YouTube
|This Motorcycle racing-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Manx location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|