||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2013)|
October 15, 1844|
Vrsno, Austrian Littoral, Austrian Empire
|Died||November 24, 1906
|Subjects||patriotic and love poems|
Gregorčič was born in the small mountain village of Vrsno above the river Soča in the County of Gorizia and Gradisca. In 1851, he attended primary school in Libušnje, but was in 1855 sent to school in Gorizia. After finishing high school he entered the seminary in Gorizia. He was ordained on 27 October 1867 and became a vicar in Kobarid in 1868. There he continued with his literary work and together with his friend Ignacij Gruntar in 1871 founded a public reading room, one of the first in the Slovene Lands.
In 1873 he was transferred to Rihemberk in the Vipava Valley. After that he was transferred a few more times before retiring in 1903, selling his house and moving into a flat in Gorizia, where he died on 24 November 1906.
As a student he began writing lyrical poetry which was published in many literary magazines (Slovenski glasnik, Zgodnja Danica, Zvon, Ljubljanski zvon). It is apparent from his work that he was inspired by Romantic poetic forms. Mostly he was writing love, patriotic, life narrative poems and even some epic poems.
His poems, such as the ode Soči ([To the] Soča), were patriotic in nature, but he also wrote love poems, such as Kropiti te ne smem ("I am not allowed to bless you"), and worked in other poetic genres. His most important works were Človeka nikar, Ujetega ptiča tožba ("The Snared Bird's Lament"), Moj črni plašč, Veseli pastir, Nazaj v planinski raj, Oljki.
He succeeded with his first collection Prvi zvezek Poezij (1882) and after six years he released his second collection Drugi zvezek Poezij (1888). In 1902 his third collection Tretji zvezek Poezij came out and then after his death the fourth collection Četrti zvezek Poezij (1908) was released.
- Poezije I (1882)
- Poezije II (1888)
- Poezije III (1902)
- Poezije IV (1908) - published after his death (koji kurac)
- Izbrano delo I-IV (1947–1951)
- Anton Burgar, Simon Gregorčič – Življenjepis, Ljubljana 1907
- Blaž Tomaževič, Simon Gregorčič – Poezije, Mladinska knjiga Ljubljana, 1979
- Ivan Pregelj, Simon Gregorčič – Izbrane pesmi, Družba sv. Mohorja Celje, 1934
- Janez Logar, Simon Gregorčič – Mojo srčno kri škropite, Prešernova družba Ljubljana, 1969
- Simon Gregorčič, Poezije I., spremna beseda; Mihael Glavan, Ljubljana, 1882
- Vinko Cuderman; Silvo Fatur; Samo Koler; Rajko Korošec; Boža Krakar - Vogel; Mojca Poznanovič; Adrijana Špacapan, Branja 2 - Berilo in učbenik za 2. letnik gimnazij ter štiriletnih strokovnih šol, DZS Ljubljana, 2007
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Simon Gregorčič.|
- Simon Gregorčič: Job in psalem 118 – Svetopisemska knjiga
- Simon Gregorčič: Poezije – izdaja Družbe sv. Mohorja v Celovcu – 1908
- Simon Gregorčič: Jeremijeve žalostinke