Simon Says (The Outer Limits)
|The Outer Limits episode|
|Episode no.||Season 6
|Directed by||Helen Shaver|
|Written by||Scott Peters|
|Original air date||10 March 2000|
|List of The Outer Limits episodes|
"Simon Says" is an episode from the sixth season of The Outer Limits. It originally aired on 10 March 2000.
A man who lost his wife and his son in a car accident several years ago has built a robot which has his son's memories.
|“||There is no greater tragedy for a parent than the loss of a child. But when does grief become obsession?||”|
Gideon Banks, an electronic engineer, twenty years ago lost his wife Liz and son Simon in a horrific car accident. At that period of time he was working at so called the Neural Archiving Project — NAP for short. This technology was developed to create smart computers — transferring human engrams to computers.
The company eventually gave up on the technology, but Gideon didn't. After years of quietly perfecting it, he built at home a small robot, using parts he stole from Concorde Robotics, where he now works. Zoe, Gideon's niece, discovers Gideon's secret, that the robot contains actual neural engrams from the Gideon's dead son Simon, which Gideon has integrated into the robot in hope to re-create his son. And now, the robot actually has memories of the real Simon.
Zoe becomes worried not only about Gideon but also about the robot that sounds and acts a lot like her little cousin used to. And she immediately suspects that the "boy" may not be the lovable little angel that her late cousin had been.
|“||When we endeavor to fill a terrible void, sometimes the void can consume us.||”|
Nominations and Awards
- Scott Peters has been awarded in 2001 by WGC Award (Writers Guild of Canada) for the episode «Simon Says».
- John Van Tongeren won in 2001 the Gemini Awards in «Best Original Music Score for a Dramatic Series» nomination for this episode.
- Joel Grey as Gideon Banks
- Tammy Pentecost as Elise Banks
- Riley DeMeyer as Simon
- Cathy Weseluck as Voice of Simon
- Mikela J. Mikael as Zoe Kemp
- Hiro Kanagawa as Ron Hikida
- Rice Honeywell as Co-Worker
- "Simon Says" at The Outer Limits official website
- "Simon Says" at TV.com
- "Simon Says" at the Internet Movie Database
- "Simon Says (The Outer Limits)" at Hulu.com
- "Simon Says (The Outer Limits)" at YouTube