Sonny Liew is a Malaysian-born comic artist/illustrator based in Singapore. He is best known for his work on Vertigo Comics' My Faith in Frankie together with Mike Carey and Marc Hempel, and Marvel Comics' "Sense and Sensibility" adaptation.
Born in Seremban, Malaysia, Liew attended school at Victoria School and Victoria Junior College in Singapore. He went on to read philosophy at Clare College in Cambridge University in UK and studied illustration at the Rhode Island School of Design in 2001. His first foray into comic illustration was with Singaporean tabloid paper The New Paper in 1995, contributing a comic strip titled Frankie and Poo. A compilation of the strips was published by Times Publishing in 1996. Shortly after his graduation from Rhode Island Liew met The Uncanny X-Men writer Chris Claremont who was impressed by his portfolio of work. Claremont not only showed him around the convention, he also gave Liew his first break into the comics industry, by letting him illustrate Iron Man for Marvel's Marvel Universe Millennial Visions title.
His work has appeared in the Flight Anthologies edited by Kazu Kibuishi, and in he has served as editor of the Southeast Asian comics anthology Liquid City  comics anthology Volumes 1 and 2 from Image Comics. He was nominated for an Eisner award in the pencilling/inking category for his work on SLG and Disney's Wonderland, written by Tommy Kovac.
He is also the creator of Malinky Robot, a Xeric Award recipient and winner of the “Prix de la Meilleure BD” (Comic Album of the Year) at the Utopiales International SF Festival in Nantes. He was a recipient of Singapore's Young Artist Award in 2010.
He is the illustrator of The Shadow Hero, written by Gene Luen Yang.
- Tse Ling, Lee (2004-12-13). "Sonny storms into international comics circle". The Star. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- Khouri, Andy (2008-12-26). "LIQUID CITY: Image Anthology Spotlights S.E. Asia". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 2009-03-02.
- Rédaction, La (2009-11-03). "Les 10es Utopiales cherchent des Mondes Meilleurs". Wartmag. Retrieved 2009-11-23.
- Nanda, Akshita (2010-10-13). "Young and arty". Straits Times. Retrieved 2010-10-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sonny Liew.|
- Official site
- Blog site
- Flight official site
- Slave Labor Graphics official site
- Liquid City official site
- Sonny Liew's interview on Kochipan(in French)
|This profile of a comics creator, writer, or artist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|