Speedway (1968 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Norman Taurog|
|Produced by||Douglas Laurence|
|Written by||Phillip Shuke|
|Music by||Jeff Alexander|
|Edited by||Richard W. Farrell|
|Running time||94 minutes|
|Box office||$2,000,000 (US/ Canada)|
Racecar driver Steve Grayson's manager and friend, Kenny Donford (Bixby), has mismanaged his winnings and Steve finds himself in deep trouble with the Internal Revenue Service for back taxes. This proves to be a problem for him in his efforts to continue to race competitively and support those who require his generosity.
Susan Jacks (Sinatra) is an IRS agent assigned to keep tabs on Steve and apply his future prize money toward his $150,000 debt. But she ends up taking a romantic interest in him.
Elvis was paid $850,000 plus 50% of the profits.
Filming began on 26 June 1967.
Scenes were shot at the Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, North Carolina. The film features guest appearances by several of the top stock-car—better known now as NASCAR—drivers of the day including Richard Petty, Buddy Baker, Cale Yarborough, Tiny Lund and more.
This would be the final "formula" musical film of Presley's career. His later films would be less musical and more adult in tone.
Although the film was completed in the early summer of 1967, it was not released in theaters until the spring of 1968. It was a box-office hit, placing at #40 on the Variety weekly national box office list.
- Elvis Presley as Steve Grayson
- Nancy Sinatra as Susan Jacks
- Bill Bixby as Kenny Donford
- Gale Gordon as R. W. Hepworth
- William Schallert as Abel Esterlake
- Victoria Paige Meyerink as Ellie Esterlake
- Carl Ballantine as Birdie Kebner
- Ross Hagen as Paul Dado
- Charlotte Considine as Lori
- Sandy Reed as Speedway Announcer
- Michael A. Hoey, Elvis' Favorite Director: The Amazing 52-Film Career of Norman Taurog, Bear Manor Media 2013
- "Big Rental Films of 1968". Variety: 15. 8 January 1969.
Please note this figure is a rental accruing to distributors.
- Speedway at the Internet Movie Database
- Speedway at the TCM Movie Database
- Review of Speedway by Bill Treadway at DVD Verdict, 3 August 2004.
- Review of Speedway by Jeff Rosado at digitallyOBSESSED!, 1 August 2004.
|This article about a musical comedy film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|