A spit-take is a comic technique in which someone spits a beverage out of his or her mouth when he or she reacts to a statement. In this context, the word "take" is used in the sense of taking in information. It is similar in construction to the phrase "double-take."
Spit take made it into the Oxford Dictionary, not to be confused with the Oxford English Dictionary, in a 2014 update.
||This article possibly contains original research. (March 2013)|
Two characters sit at a table. Character #1 has a cup of coffee in hand.
Character 1: Did they ever find that missing toxic sludge?
Character 2: Yes.
(Character 1 sips coffee.)
Character 2: Someone poured it into the coffee urn.
(Character 1 spits the coffee all over the table.)
In a spit-take, the reaction is usually one of surprise. The "spit" action is overly dramatized; performers will add lots of noise and spray liquid from their mouth in an exaggerated fashion.
The surprise need not be related to the substance being consumed; it is a vehicle to convey shock or surprise humorously with an exaggerated visual.
Example: Three characters sit at a table. Character #3, wearing a yellow sweater, has a cup of juice in hand.
Character 1: Hey, did you hear that laundry detergent can cause fatal psoriasis?
(Character 3 sips from cup.)
Character 2: Yeah, but only for people who wear yellow sweaters.
(Character 3 spits the drink all over the table.)
Example: Character 1 raises a glass and says "The King is dead. Long live the king!"
Character 2 cries out "The King lives!"
Character 1 spits out the drink, and says "The King lives?"
- Danny Thomas sometimes is credited with popularizing its use in comedy.
- Albert Brooks' short film, The Famous Comedians School, features a workshop on spit takes.
- Jon Stewart mentioned the spit-take on The Daily Show, Dec. 14, 2011, in the segment "Lowe's Balls of the Week." He also sometimes performs obviously-staged spit-takes as a running gag.
- "Spit Take Entry, Oxford Dictionary". http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/spit-take.
- The Daily Show spit-takes
- Spit Take. TV Tropes.
|This comedy or humor related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|