|2nd Prime Minister of Curaçao|
29 September 2012 – 31 December 2012
Adèle van der Pluijm-Vrede (acting)
|Preceded by||Gerrit Schotte|
|Succeeded by||Daniel Hodge|
|Born||1 November 1951|
Stanley Mario Betrian (born 1 November 1951) is a Curaçaoan politician who served as the second Prime Minister of Curaçao, in an interim capacity. He was sworn in on 29 September by Acting Governor Adèle van der Pluijm-Vrede. He led the government until a cabinet was formed, following the elections of 19 October 2012.
From 1983 to 1992, Betrian was executive vice-president of the Bank of the Netherlands Antilles and from 1992 to 1994 Lieutenant-Governor of Curaçao, when the island was still part of the Netherlands Antilles.
The appointment of Betrian followed a period of political turmoil in Curaçao that started upon the creation of the new status of Curaçao as a semiautonomous "country" within the Kingdom of the Netherlands. After Gerrit Schotte submitted the resignation of his cabinet to Governor Frits Goedgedrag on August 3, 2012, the parliament was dissolved. However, the parliament remains in function until the elections. After a majority in parliament requested the governor to form an interim cabinet until an elected cabinet takes office, he appointed Dito Mendes as formateur. On his advice, acting governor Van der Pluijm-Vrede (Goedgedrag was abroad for medical treatment) accepted Schotte's resignation, which he had submitted in August, and appointed Betrian as Prime Minister in an interim capacity. Nonetheless, Schotte calls this a coup d'état and refused to leave his post.
Elmer Raynold Wilsoe
|Lieutenant Governor of Curaçao
Lizanne Marie Richards-Dindial
|Prime Minister of Curaçao
- "Profiel Stanley Mario Betrian". versgeperst.com (in Dutch). 30 September 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "Breaking News: Interim Government Was Just Sworn In". Curaçao chronicle. 29 September 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "PAIS en DP/Laboral door naar verkiezingen". Versgeperst (in Dutch). 9 September 2012. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- Press release on the information assignment to Mendes de Gouveia by the Governors Cabinet]
- About the stay abroad of the governor, Governors Cabinet
- 'There is no coup on the Curacao, Curaçao Chronicle
- Crisis op Curaçao na "Staatsgreep", nos.nl (dutch)
- "Curaçao". Worldstatesmen.org. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
|This Curaçao-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|