|Launched||December 4, 1993|
|Owned by||Nea Tileorasi A.E.|
|Picture format||16:9 (576i, SDTV)|
|Audience share||13.2% (23/9/2013 - 29/9/2013, AGB)|
|DIGEA||Channel 47, 29|
|NOVA Greece||Channel 107|
|OTE TV||Channel 108|
Star Channel is a Greek television network that broadcasts a mix of foreign and Greek programming. It launched in December 1993 and is owned by Nea Tileorasi A.E. The main news bulletin is called Star Eidiseis, which is currently hosted by Eleonora Meleti. The Star Channel logo is a row of six rhomboid-shapes (orange, red, magenta, blue, green and yellow) which form part of a stylized star. The word STAR is sometimes placed at the bottom of the logo.
Star Channel is mostly known in Greece for its programming style, both in terms of live shows and news content, with increased focus on lifestyle, showbiz, gossip and fashion news and on "comedic" presentation.
In 2010, Star Channel were escorted away from the Eurovision Song Contest by police after accusations of illegally transmitting footage from the dress rehearsal.
In 2013, Star Channel started combinining information with entertainment, resulting it to have a more serious tone as a channel.
1994 Star Channel began to exchange family/children's programs from Alpha, then known as Skai (Greek spelling of Sky) with Star's children's programming.
2005 Star Channel makes its debut Internationally, joining the UBI World TV platform, making Star Channel available to viewers in Australia as well as Asia - Africa region
2008 UBI World TV launches in New Zealand making Star International available.
2010 Forcibly removed from the Eurovision Song Contest and banned by the European Broadcasting Union for three years for illegally airing live feed from Norwegian broadcaster NRK of the Eurovision dress rehearsals.
2011 In March Star Channel started showing some of its programs in 16:9 (Mostly TV Series and Films) and since April it switched to 16:9 for all its programs, including all of its own shows and its news broadcast.
September 2013 Star Channel started adapting a more imformative in the news broadcasts profile while also holding its entertaining tone through its shows.
Star Channel airs 24/7 news, shows, movies and foreign series. Τhe network also airs a six-hour Weekend morning animation block named StarLand.
- Live U - Informative show focusing on social, political and financial news of the day. The show offers wide communication, through internet, of its viewers with the guests/congressmen answering to their queries. Hosted by Popi Tsapanidou.
- Meletise to (Study this) - Showbiz news and entertaining show hosted by Eleonora Meleti, with a more relaxing atmosphere, focusing on interviews and guests; airs weekdays at 13:00am (renamed and replacing Mesimerini Meleti)
- FM Live - Entertaining and sarcastic show featuring lifestyle issues from Greece and abroad. Hosted by Fotis Sergoulopoulos and Maria Bakodimou. airs weekdays at 14:45am. (It changed timeslot with Mila.)
- Mila (Talk) - Discussions about various issues based on woman's life (men, relationships, sex, kids etc.) with showbiz guests as well as informations about major news of the day. Hosted by Tatiana Stefanidou airs weekdays at 16:45am (It changed timeslot with FM Live.)
- Star Eidiseis (Star News) - Newscast featuring top headlines from Greece and abroad, entertainment & sports news, focusing mostly on financial, political & social issues; Airs at, 16:30am & 19:45am (Main newshost: Mara Zaharea, weekdays & Panagiotis Stathis, weekends.) (Main commentator: Nikos Hatzinikolaou.)
In October 2009, Star International officially launched in North America, available exclusively on RCN Cable in the United States. In June 2010, RCN Cable dropped the channel due to low subscriptions.
In May 2011, Star International re-launched in the US, available via satellite on the Home2US platform. In late 2012, Home2US ceased operations. The channel is currently available in North America only through IPTV provider Ellas TV.
- Official Site (Greek)