Stefan Grabiński (26 February 1887, Kamionka Strumiłowa - 12 November 1936, Lwów), was a Polish writer of fantastic literature and horror stories. He is sometimes referred to as the "Polish Poe" or "Polish Lovecraft", although his works are often surrealistic or explicitly erotic in a way that sets him apart from both. He was an expert in parapsychology, magic and demonology and had an interest in the works of the German Expressionist filmmakers.
A number of his stories have been translated into English by Miroslaw Lipinski and published as The Dark Domain. His story, Szamota's Mistress, was adapted to film as part of a B Movie trilogy called Evil Streets.
After graduating from the local high school in 1905, he studied Polish Literature and philology at the University of Lwów. While a student there, he discovered that he had tuberculosis, which was hereditary in his family. Having been fervently religious since his childhood, this discovery significantly influenced his worldview and approach to writing.
After graduating in 1911, he worked as a secondary school teacher in Lwów. During this time, he also traveled extensively, visiting Austria, Italy and Romania. From 1917 to 1927, he was a teacher in Przemyśl. His tuberculosis worsened and he was forced to retire. In 1931, he settled in Brzuchowice where, despite some success as a writer, he increasingly fell into obscurity and died in extreme poverty.
- Salamandra (Salamander) (1924)
- Cień Bafometa (Shadow of Baphomet) (1926)
- Klasztor i morze (Cloister and Sea) (1928)
- Wyspa Itongo (Itongo Island) (1936)
- Na wgórzu róż (On Rose Hill) (1918)
- Demon ruchu (The Motion Demon) (1919)
- Szalony pątnik (Mad Pilgrim) (1920)
- Niesamowita opowieść (Incredible Story) (1925)
- Księga ognia (Book of Fire) (1922)
- Namiętność (Passion) (1930)
- Willa nad morzem (Ciemne siły) (Dark Forces)
- Zaduszki (All-Souls' Day)
- The Dark Domain (translated into English by Miroslaw Lipinski, ISBN 1-903517-41-9)
- The Motion Demon (translated into English by Miroslaw Lipinski, ISBN 1-5531-0084-0)
- In Sarah's House (translated into English by Wiesiek Powaga, ISBN 0-955728-53-3)
- On the Hill of Roses (translated into English by Miroslaw Lipinski, ISBN 978-1-908876-03-4)
- Details for all titles can be found at Goodreads. 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stefan Grabiński.|
|This article about a Polish writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|