Dawson in 2015
|Full name||Stephen John Dawson|
|Date of birth||4 December 1985|
|Place of birth||Dublin, Ireland|
|Height||5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)|
|2005–2006||Republic of Ireland U21||2||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 11:18, 26 March 2015 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Stephen John Dawson (born 4 December 1985) is an Irish professional footballer who plays for English club Rochdale. He primarily plays as a central midfielder, although he has also been deployed in defensive midfield. He is noted for his aggressive and highly competitive style of play.
In his 13-year-long playing career, Dawson began his career with English club Leicester City, where he failed to make his debut. He instead made his debut for Mansfield Town where he would spend most of his career, and with which he signed in 2005, going on to appear in 114 official games. Apart from Mansfield Town, Dawson has previously played for Bury, Leyton Orient, and Barnsley. In 2014, he signed for Rochdale. Despite suffering with some injuries during his time at Spotland, Dawson has established himself as a regular part of the first team.
Born in Dublin, Dawson began his professional football career as a trainee at Leicester City, having joined from the Dublin schoolboy team Portmarnock AFC. Before that, he spent 7 years with St Malachys FC and although he became a regular in the reserve side, he did not graduate to the first team. He subsequently rejected an offer for a new contract on reduced terms in May 2005.
Dawson joined Mansfield Town in the summer of 2005, and scored on his debut against Stockport in August 2005. He signed a new one-year contract in August 2007, and by the end of the 2007–08 season had made over 125 appearances in all competitions for Mansfield Town.
After Mansfield Town were relegated to the Football Conference at the end of the 2007–08 season, he was out of contract and joined Bury on a two-year contract. Dawson made his Bury debut on 9 August 2008 on the opening day of the season with a 1–0 win over Brentford at Gigg Lane. Dawson scored his first goal for Bury on 18 October 2008 in a 3–1 win at Dagenham & Redbridge.
On 4 June 2010 he signed for League One side Leyton Orient. He then became Leyton Orient's Captain. Dawson scored his first goal for the O's in their 2–1 win against Tranmere Rovers on 11 December 2010.
On 31 January 2012 he signed for Championship side Barnsley for an undisclosed fee. Despite suffering with injuries during his time at Oakwell, Dawson established himself as a regular part of the first team. He was involved in an angry confrontation with Barnsley supporters after the team's 5–0 defeat at Huddersfield Town in March 2014, for which he apologised and made a small financial donation to Barnsley Hospice.
Just a month later, Dawson was named as one of seven footballers arrested in connection with alleged spot-fixing of football matches. When asked, Dawson said "They came at 6.30 a.m. Ten officers. They searched our house from top to bottom and seized some of our belongings – my mobile phones, my laptop, my girlfriend’s phone, documents. Then they said I had to go down to the station. We didn't know what was going on." "It nearly broke me." Dawson's statement came three days after the National Crime Agency ended his nine-month ordeal by confirming that the case against him has been dropped.
- As of 27 August 2011.
|Club||Season||League[A]||FA Cup||League Cup||Other[B]||Total|
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2010). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2010–11. Mainstream Publishing. p. 111. ISBN 978-1-84596-601-0.
- Rollin, Glenda; Rollin, Jack, eds. (2012). Sky Sports Football Yearbook 2012–2013 (43rd ed.). London: Headline. p. 418. ISBN 978-0-7553-6356-8.
- "Under 21–2005/2006 Squad Profile". Football Association of Ireland. 20 March 2006. Retrieved 29 April 2008.
- "Stephen Dawson". Soccerbase. Racing Post. Retrieved 29 April 2008.
- "Dawson snubs Foxes contract offer". BBC Sport. 17 May 2005. Retrieved 29 April 2008.
- "Dawson signs new Mansfield deal". BBC Sport. 10 August 2007. Retrieved 29 April 2008.
- "Games played by Stephen Dawson in 2005/2006". Soccerbase. Racing Post. Retrieved 29 April 2008.
- "Seven players to leave Mansfield". BBC Sport. 16 May 2008. Retrieved 17 May 2008.
- "Midfielder Dawson commits to Bury". BBC Sport. 30 June 2008. Retrieved 3 July 2008.
- "Dawson apologises".
- "Dawson named in spot fixing arrests".
- "A Statement From Stephen Dawson". rochdaleafc.co.uk.
- "Stephen Dawson Joins Rochdale". Rochdale A.F.C. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "Mansfield 2005/2006 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Mansfield 2006/2007 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Mansfield 2007/2008 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Bury 2008/2009 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Bury 2009/2010 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Leyton Orient 2010/2011 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Leyton Orient 2011/2012 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Barnsley 2011/2012 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Barnsley 2012/2013 player appearances". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stephen Dawson.|