|Born||December 12, 1946|
|Residence||Santa Monica, California|
|Known for||Playboy magazine
Principal photographer of Pamela Anderson in Pictures: Photographs
Early life and education
Wayda was born in Los Angeles and grew up in Southern California. After high school, he attended the University of Utah where he majored in journalism and political science. Wayda hoped to join the Navy ROTC and fly jets, but when his grandfather died and left him a camera collection, he taught himself photography.
Wayda worked as a newspaper reporter at the The Salt Lake Tribune for seven years, where his photographs accompanied the stories he reported. While working for the Tribune, Wayda was honored for saving the life of Salt Lake City police officer Brent Elcock. Having developed a method to enhance the reproduction of photographs in the letterpress newspapers, Wayda began his commercial photography career taking newspaper photographs for Zions Cooperative Mercantile Institution (ZCMI), a Salt Lake City based department store, working with models from a local agency.
Wayda was introduced to Playboy editor Marilyn Grabowski through photographer Dwight Hooker. For forty years, Grabowski was the woman behind the centerfolds, defining the pages of Playboy. Playboy publisher, Hugh Hefner said "…from an inauspicious start, he has become the most published photographer in the history of Playboy. His iconic images have helped change the way the world looks at women, and the way women look at the world. His influence on photography can not be overstated. […] His contribution to photography will live on for generations to come." Wayda's photos have been featured on the cover of Playboy more than any other photographer. He was the principal photographer for Pamela Anderson and his photographs are found in the book Pamela Anderson in Pictures.
Over his photography career, Wayda has photographed such celebrities as Jack Nicholson, Denzel Washington, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Danny DeVito, Tom Selleck, Demi Moore, Claudia Schifer, Linda Evangelista, The Game, Kid Rock, Travis Barker, Kim Kardashian, Brooke Burke and Jenny McCarthy.
Wayda's photographs have been featured in fashion, lifestyle, and sport magazines.
- Stephen Wayda and Bibi Jordan (1996). Pamela Anderson in Pictures: Photographs by Stephen Wayda. General Pub Group. ISBN 978-1881649946
- Abbey Hood (May 28, 2010). "Behind The Lens Of A Playboy Photographer". Beverly Hills Courier. Retrieved December 17, 2013.
- "From Dali To Marilyn Monroe: Playboy Auctions Art". CBS New York. Retrieved December 17, 2013.
- "Inside Ashley Dupré's Smokin' Playboy Shoot". People. Retrieved December 17, 2013.
- "Our Photographers". Electra Star Models. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Jessamyn Cuneo (March 31, 2007). "Playboy Photographer Stephen Wayda Has Dream Job". American Superstar Magazine. Retrieved December 17, 2013.
- Jeff Ferrantino (31 March 2007). "How To Shoot The Perfect Playmate Pictorial". American Superstar Magazine. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "Inside Photography". American Photo. Sep–Oct 2005. p. 7.
- "Police Honor Newsman". The Salt Lake Tribune.
- "Jake Gyllenhaal Would Like to Thank His Abs". New York Magazine. 4 June 2010. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Amy Wallace (13 March 2005). "The Woman Behind the Centerfolds". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Liz Smith (28 March 2013). "Liz Gets "Intimate" ...". New York Social Daily. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "Kim Kardashian much easier to shoot for Playboy than 'guarded' Ashley Dupre". New York Daily News. 24 April 2010. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Ben Kaplan (12 May 2010). "Playboy 3-D: ‘Like Avatar because of how the thing pops out’". National Post. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Juan Carlos García (15 January 2012). "Pilar Montenegro mostrará todos sus encantos en EU". Ticket. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "Stephen Wayda - Fotografo Playboy". numerof. 13 February 2007. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "Stephen Wayda, Playboy Photographer". Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "Stephen Wayda". Retrieved 11 June 2014.