Steve Berry (novelist)
|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2007)|
Steve and Elizabeth Berry in Prague
|Education||Juris Doctor (J.D.)|
|Alma mater||Walter F. George School of Law|
|Genre||Thriller, International Suspense|
Steve Berry (born in 1955) is an American author, professor and former attorney currently living in St. Augustine, Florida. He is a graduate of Mercer University's Walter F. George School of Law. He was a trial lawyer for 30 years and held elective office for 14 of those years. He is a founding member of International Thriller Writers—a group of more than 2,600 thriller writers from around the world—and served three years as its co-president.
Steve Berry first appeared in print with his historical thrillers The Amber Room and The Romanov Prophecy in 2003 and 2004. A practicing attorney (at the time), Berry had been writing since 1990, and it took him 12 years and 85 rejections (over five different editions) to finally sell a manuscript to Ballantine Books. Berry credits the nuns who taught him in Catholic school with instilling the discipline needed both to craft a novel and to find a publisher. His latest novel, The Lincoln Myth, was released May 20, 2014.
Today, Berry's novels have earned spots on The New York Times, USA Today, Publishers Weekly, and BookSense bestseller lists. He has more than 18 million books in print, which have been translated into 40 languages and sold in 51 countries. Berry focuses much of his time on writing or planning new novels, teaching the concepts of writing to audiences throughout the world, golfing or spending time on the beach.
History lies at the heart of every Steve Berry novel. It’s his passion, one he shares with his wife, Elizabeth, which led them to create History Matters, a foundation dedicated to historic preservation. Since 2009 Steve and Elizabeth have crossed the country to save endangered historic treasures, raising money via lectures, receptions, galas, luncheons, dinners and their popular writers workshops. To date, over 2,500 students have attended those workshops.
Berry is among several thriller writers who reside in the northeast Florida area.
In 2012 and 2013 Steve’s devotion to historic preservation was recognized by the American Library Association, which named Steve it’s spokesperson for National Preservation Week. Among his other honors is the Royden B. Davis Distinguished Author Award; the 2013 Barnes & Noble Writers for Writers Award given by Poets & Writers; the 2013 Anne Frank Human Writes Award; and the Silver Bullet, bestowed in 2013 by International Thriller Writers for his philanthropic work. He was also appointed by the Smithsonian Board of Regents to serve on the Smithsonian Libraries Advisory Board to help promote and support the libraries in their mission to provide information in all forms to scientists, curators, scholars, students and the public at large. A 2010 NPR survey named The Templar Legacy one of the top 100 thrillers ever written.
- The Amber Room, Ballantine Books, (August 26, 2003). ISBN 0-345-46004-9
- The Romanov Prophecy, Ballantine Books, (August 31, 2004). ISBN 0-345-46006-5
- The Third Secret, Ballantine Books, (May 17, 2005). ISBN 0-345-47613-1
- The Columbus Affair, (May 15, 2012). ISBN 978-0-345-52652-6
Cotton Malone novels
- The Templar Legacy, Ballantine Books, (February 21, 2006). ISBN 0-345-47615-8
- The Alexandria Link, Ballantine Books, (January 30, 2007). ISBN 0-345-48575-0
- The Venetian Betrayal, Ballantine Books, (December 11, 2007). ISBN 0-345-48577-7
- The Charlemagne Pursuit, Ballantine Books, (December 2, 2008). ISBN 0-345-48579-3
- The Paris Vendetta, Ballantine Books, (December 1, 2009). ISBN 0-345-50547-6
- The Emperor's Tomb, Ballantine Books, (November 23, 2010). ISBN 0-345-50549-2
- The Jefferson Key, Ballantine Books, (May 17, 2011). ISBN 0-345-50551-4
- The King's Deception, Ballantine Books, (June 11, 2013). ISBN 978-0345526540
- The Lincoln Myth, Ballantine Books, (May 20, 2014). ISBN 978-0345526571
- The Patriot Threat, Ballantine Books, (March 31, 2015).
Berry has released four short stories in eBook-only form featuring side characters from the Cotton Malone novels. These stories act somewhat as prequels to The Emperor's Tomb, The Jefferson Key, The Columbus Affair, and The King's Deception, respectively. The first three are available in Three Tales from the World of Cotton Malone: The Balkan Escape, The Devil's Gold, and The Admiral's Mark (Short Stories). Each short story is also included in the paperback edition of the book it precedes.
- The Balkan Escape, Ballantine Books, (September 13, 2010). ASIN: B003MQMZ2K (Featuring Cassiopeia Vitt)
- The Devil's Gold, Ballantine Books, (April 18, 2011). ASIN: B004U33GCW (Featuring Jonathan Wyatt)
- The Admiral's Mark, Ballantine Books, (April 2, 2012). ASIN: B007EED534
- The Tudor Plot, Ballantine Books, (April 29, 2013). ASIN: B00C4BA3V4
- The Cotton Malone Series 7-Book Bundle, Ballantine Books, (October 8, 2012). ISBN 978-0-345-54109-3
- Three Tales from the World of Cotton Malone: The Balkan Escape, The Devil's Gold, and The Admiral's Mark (Short Stories), Ballantine Books, (December 3, 2012). ISBN 978-0-345-54451-3
- "Steve Berry Biography". BookBrowse Biographies. BookBrowse LLC. 15 August 2010. Retrieved September 12, 2010.
- "The Lincoln Myth".
- Official Website of Steve Berry
- History Matters, the Steve and Elizabeth Berry foundation to preserve historical sites.
- Feature on The Emperor's Tomb in SHOTS Crime & Thriller Ezine May 2011
- Steve Berry Bio from Bookreporter.com, accessed December 26, 2005