Steve Lehman (born 1978, New York City) is a composer and saxophonist in the genres of jazz and experimental music. His compositions have been performed by a number of international performers and orchestras. As a performer, Lehman leads a number of his own ensembles and performs frequently as a sideman with artists like Anthony Braxton, Vijay Iyer, and Jason Moran. His recording Travail, Transformation & Flow (Pi Recordings 2009) was chosen as the #1 Jazz Album of the year by The New York Times. Lehman’s work has been reviewed in Artforum, Down Beat magazine, The New York Times, Newsweek, and The Wire, National Public Radio, and the BBC. Lehman was a Fulbright scholar from 2002-2003. He holds a B.A.(2000) and M.A.(2002) in Composition from Wesleyan University and received his D.M.A. (2012) with distinction in Music Composition from Columbia University.
- Dialect Fluorescent (Pi Recordings, 2012)
- Kaleidoscope and Collage (Intakt, 2011)
- Dual Identity (Clean Feed, 2010) (with Rudresh Mahanthappa)
- Travail, Transformation and Flow (Pi Recordings, 2009)
- Door (Pi Recordings, 2008)
- On Meaning (Pi Recordings, 2007)
- Manifold (Clean Feed, 2007)
- Demian as Posthuman (Pi Recordings, 2005)
- Simulated Progress (Pi Recordings, 2005)
- Interface (Clean Feed, 2004)
- Artificial Light (FSNT Records, 2004)
- "Steve Lehman". stevelehman.com. Retrieved 7 June 2012.
- Chinen, Nate (December 18, 2009). "Free Jazz, Futurism, Funk and Ferocity". The New York Times. Retrieved 8 June 2012.
- Chinen, Nate (2012-03-23). "A Flamenco-Playing Sitar and an Asymmetrical Groove". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- Smith, Steve (2011-03-20). "A Complex Jazzman, Informed by His Classical Side". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- Chinen, Nate (June 9, 2009). "Finding an Asymmetrical Pulse With a Jagged Rhythm". The New York Times. Retrieved 8 June 2012.
- "Adventures In Sound And Music: Issues". The Wire. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- Jackson, Josh (2009-05-26). "The Checkout". The Checkout. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- "Steve Lehman, Finding A Computer-Assisted 'Flow'". NPR. 2009-09-23. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- Jackson, Josh (2012-03-27). "Steve Lehman Trio: Operating Inside The Matrix". NPR. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
|This article about a jazz saxophonist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|