From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The terms Stone balls, "stone ball", "stone spheres", and "stone sphere" have been used to designate spherical stone objects of both natural and artificial origin. Different types of stone balls include:
- Natural Stone Balls
- Artificial Stone Balls (Petrospheres)
- Kugel balls
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stone spheres.|
|Wikibooks has a book on the topic of: A Researcher's Guide to Local History Terminology|
- Stone round shot (cannonballs)
- Ruffell, W.L., 1996, The Gun - Smoothbore Era 1550-1860: Projectiles Royal New Zealand Artillery Old Comrades' Association, New Zealand.
- Stone balls (spheres) of Costa Rica
- Hoopes, J.W., 2005, The Stone Balls of Costa Rica University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas.
- Carved stone balls of Scotland
- Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery, nd, Carved Stone Balls A gallery of carved stone ball photographs & information
- Marischal Virtual Museum, nd, ball, carved stone Aberdeen Museum's virtual gallery of their Carved Stone balls
- Baird, Bill, 1990, Stone Spheres, The Edinburgh Geologist, no 24 (Spring)
- Heinrich, P.V., 2007, Megaspherulites. PDF version, 1.4 MB BackBender's Gazette. vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 8-12.
- Rodríguez, E.A., 2002, The fantastic balls in el Cerro Piedras Bola (Jalisco), México desconocido # 305, July 2002. Last visited February 11, 2008.
- Smith, R.K., R.L. Tremallo, and G.E. Lofgren, 2000, Megaspherulite Growth: Far From Equilibrium Crystallization, GeoCanada 2000 - The Millennium Geoscience Summit, Canadian Society of Exploration Geophysicists Annual Meeting.
- Smith, R.K., R.L. Tremallo, and G.E. Lofgren, 2001, Growth of megaspherulites in a rhyolitic vitrophyre, American Mineralogist. vol. 86, pp. 589–600.
- Cannonball concretions
- Hanson, W.D., and J.M. Howard, 2005, Spherical Boulders in North-Central Arkansas PDF version, 2.8 MB Arkansas Geological Commission Miscellaneous Publication n. 22, pp. 1-23.
- Heinrich, P.V., 2007, The Giant Concretions of Rock City Kansas PDF version, 836 KB BackBender's Gazette. vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 6-12.
- Irna, 2006, All that nature can never do, part IV : stone spheres
- Irna, 2007a, Stone balls : in France too!
- Irna, 2007b, Stone balls in Slovakia, Czech Republic and Poland
- Leo Gav, 2007, Underwater stone balls
- Hokianga Tourism Association, nd, Koutu boulders Really nice pictures of cannonball concretions.
- United States Geological Survey, nd, cannonball concretion