|Origin||West Yorkshire, England|
|Genres||Contemporary Christian music, hymns, contemporary worship music|
|Occupations||Songwriter, worship leader, music publishing executive|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, guitar, banjo|
Stuart Townend is an English Christian worship leader and writer of hymns and contemporary worship music. His songs include "In Christ Alone", (2002, co-written with Keith Getty, Townend's first collaboration with any other songwriter), "How Deep The Father's Love For Us", "Beautiful Saviour" and "The King of Love". As of 2008, Christian Copyright Licensing International (CCLI) lists "In Christ Alone" in its Top 25 CCLI Songs list.
Townend, son of a Church of England vicar in Halifax, West Yorkshire, was the youngest of four children. He studied literature at the University of Sussex. Townend started learning to play the piano at age 7. At the age of 13, he made a Christian commitment, and began songwriting at age 22.
At university, he met Caroline, whom he married in 1988. They now have three children; Joseph, Emma and Eden. He has attended and regularly leads worship at the Church of Christ the King (CCK) in Brighton, one of the Newfrontiers network of churches headed by Terry Virgo.
Townend has led worship and performed events across the world at many conferences and festivals, including the Stoneleigh Bible Week in the early 90s to the early 2000s, Together On A Mission, Mandate, Mission:Worship, Keswick Convention, Spring Harvest and many more. He has also featured on Songs of Praise and worked alongside other high profile Christian musicians including Keith Getty, Lou Fellingham and Phatfish.
In 2005, Cross Rhythms magazine described Townend as "one of the most significant songwriters in the whole international Christian music field". The Christian website Crosswalk.com commented that, "the uniqueness of Townend’s writing lies partly in its lyrical content. There is both a theological depth and poetic expression that some say is rare in today’s worship writing".
- Classical Praise Piano: Come Holy Spirit (1995)
- Say the Word (1997)
- Personal Worship (2001)
- Lord of Every Heart (2002)
- Monument to Mercy (2006)
- The Best of Stuart Townend Live (2007)
- There is a Hope (live) (2008)
- Creation Sings (2009)
- The Journey (2011)
- Ultimate Collection (2012)
Audio - featuring Townend
- Stoneleigh Bible Week albums, 1994–2001
- Mandate - O Church Arise
- Mandate - See What A Morning
- Newfrontiers albums, 2004–2006
- Mission:Worship albums, 2006–present
- Phatfish - Hope - Unplugged Live (2002)
- Keswick Convention albums, 2007–present
- Spring Harvest albums
- There is a Hope (live) (DVD 2008)
- Creation Sings (DVD 2009)
Video - featuring Townend
- Mission:Worship - Just One Touch From The King (DVD 2007)
- Worship From The Abbey (DVD 2007)
- Phatfish - There Is A Day (DVD 2006)
- Phatfish - Hope - Unplugged Live (VHS 2002)
With Keith Getty
- The Apostles' Creed