Summer XO Performing in Paris in July 2012
|Birth name||Summer Rose Virshup|
|Genres||Pop, Indie pop|
|Occupations||Musician Songwriter Visual Artist|
|Instruments||Vocal, Guitar, keyboards|
|Associated acts||Jeremy Gloff|
Summer XO, (born Summer Rose Virshup on August 12, 1985) is a Los Angeles-based American singer-songwriter who plays guitar and piano. She is also a visual artist who creates poster-size pastel drawings of abstract emotive female faces.
Musical Career Biography
Before renaming herself Summer XO in 2013, she performed under the names "Summer" and "Summer The Artist."
In June 2013, she released the song "Invented The Word", which was accompanied by an official music video. It was produced by Henry Strange and Uri Djemal.
Summer released the album Timing And Lighting  on LossLess Records in September, 2008. It was produced by Henry Strange, with the exception of the song, "Messed Up," which was produced by Jess Stroup.
In October, 2006, Summer was recognized as one of the “Top Ten Songwriters of 2006” by the Portland Songwriting Association.
Summer XO exclusively plays handmade Wechter brand acoustic guitars that have a visually unique double cutaway body style. She owns three Wechter Pathmaker Elite series. She often performs with all three on stage because of her use of different guitar tunings.
Visual Art Biography
Since 2005, Summer XO has been regularly continuing her work on a series of pastel drawings of abstract female faces that depict a clear emotion. She sells them online through her website. Due to the subject matter, Summer XO refers to the pieces in this series as "The Girls." She also often displays her drawings on stage during music performances.
From December 2011 to January 2012, Summer XO lived in Paris, France. While there, she busked in the Paris metro and played live shows.
Summer XO is just over 6' tall.
Summer XO's marital status as of 2014 is unmarried.
Summer XO is the eldest of five children. She spent most of her youth in the small town of Bridgeport, WV. Her father is an engineer and her mother is a homemaker. In her song “Pink Elephants,” Summer alludes to the fact that her mother has a mental illness. Though her mother is not known to be diagnosed with a mental illness, Summer believes her mother has a form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder called compulsive hoarding.
- Invented The Word (2013)
- True Colors (2012)
- 'Timing and Lighting (2008) LossLess Records
- Summer EP (2005)
- Summer Demo (2002)
- "UBL: artist profile - Summer". Ubl.com. Retrieved 2008-11-29.[dead link]
- "Invented The Word on iTunes" (website). iTunes.com. Retrieved 2013-06-01.
- "True Colors on iTunes" (website). iTunes.com. Retrieved 2013-06-01.
- "True Colors on iTunes" (website). iTunes.com. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "psa_newsletter_spring2007.FH10" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-11-29.
- "photo of Summer's live performance with Wechter Guitars". Facebook.com. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- "Summer to offer Paintings in Online Store". Fanbridge.com. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- "Pink Elephants". Sonicbids.com. Retrieved 2008-11-29.