Sunchon National University
|Sunchon National University|
|Latin: Universitas Nationalis Suntion|
|Motto||Veritas, Creatio (Latin)|
Motto in English
|Location||Suncheon, Jeollanam-do, South Korea|
|Campus||Urban, 95,999 m2 (23.7 acres)
2.545638 km2 (617 acres), including the arboreta and other campuses.
|Sunchon National University|
|Revised Romanization||Sunchon Daehakgyo|
SNU composes six colleges and five professional schools, and a student body of about 26,000. College of Life Science and Natural Resources, College of Social Sciences, College of Humanities and Arts, College of Engineering, College of Education, and College of Pharmacy.
Also various and differentiated programs such as human resources exchanges with overseas leading universities, global overseas training, overseas culture expedition, etc. The university maintains an undergraduate exchange program with the University of Sheffield, University of Oklahoma, and University of Missouri.
- 1 History
- 2 Facilities
- 3 International rankings
- 4 Notable alumni
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Sunchon National University was founded in 1935 as ‘Sunchon Public Agriculture School’ when U-Seok Kim Jong Ik donated a special land as an academic venue to cultivate talents and inspire national consciousness.
It then was renamed to Sunchon Agricultural Middle School (1946), Sunchon Agricultural High School (1951), Sunchon Agricultural Technical High School (1965), Sunchon Agricultural Polytechnic (1973) followed by an elevation to Sunchon Agricultural College in 1979 registering as a tertiary education institute. In 1982, it fully fledged into a four-year university, starting anew with ten departments. In 1987, it established graduate schools and evolved into a full four-year university with five colleges in 1991. Graduate School of Education (1993), Graduate School of Industries (1994), Graduate School of Business & Public Administration (1995) and Graduate School of Information & Science (1996) opened up in series and doctor’s course was newly added in 1994.
The same year, Sunchon National University received 10 billion Won in contribution from POSCO for local talent cultivation with which Lifelong Education Center under Sunchon National University Academic Scholarship Foundation was established to provide re-training to local residents and contribute to local economic growth alongside Language Institute and Farming Education Center.
In 2001, Sunchon National University opened state-of-the-art Central Library, Center for Information & Electronic Calculation and built e-library to serve as sources for knowledge and information. Drive for university reform and internal innovations led to Sunchon National University being designated as a specialized university in agriculture and awarded as party to government-run projects including BK 21. In 2005, Sunchon National University was ranked 17th out of 183 universities nationwide from the Ministry of Education, Science & Technology in the category of financial support and 10th among 44 national universities in school innovation.
In 2002, it was selected as a top-tier university in education and research attainments in assessment of national university’s own development plans, winning recognition as the education institute on the growth track.
Before College Status
- 1935. 04. 25 Approved as a provincial school with special land contribution of Kim Jong Ik
- 1935. 05. 15 Opened as "Sunchon Public Agricultural School"
- 1946. 11. 26 Approved to be reorganized as "Sunchon Middle School of Agriculture and Forestry"
- 1951. 09. 01 Reorganized as "Sunchon High School of Agriculture and Forestry"
- 1965. 01. 22 Approved for reorganizing as "Sunchon vocational school of agriculture and forestry"
- 1979. 03. 01 Approved to be reorganized as "Sunchon Junior College of Agriculture"
- 1982. 02. 15 Approved for reorganizing as "Sunchon college"
- 1982. 03. 10 Opened as "Sunchon College" and Mr. Lee Sang Rae was inaugurated as the first rector
- 1986. 03. 01 Dr. Park Myung Kyu was inaugurated as the second rector
- 1987. 11. 09 Approved for establishing Graduate School(the master's course)
- 1989. 03. 01 Approved for 5 department systems
(departments of Agriculture, Education, Humanities, Engineering and Natural Science)
- 1990. 03. 01 Dr. Kim Jin Ho was inaugurated as the third rector
- 1991. 02. 28 Approved to be reorganized as "Sunchon National University"
- 1991. 03. 01 Dr. Kim Jin Ho was inaugurated as the first president
- 1991. 10. 22 Approved for establishing College of Education
- 1993. 09. 03 Approved for establishing Graduate School of Education(the master's course)
- 1994. 04. 02 Academic scholarship foundation of Sunchon National University was established
- 1994. 10. 20 Approved for establishing Industrial Graduate School(the master's course)
- 1995. 03. 01 Mr. Choi Deok Won was inaugurated as the second president
- 1995. 10. 18 Approved for establishing Graduate School of Management and Administration
- 1996. 06. 21 Approved for establishing an in-service training institute under the college of education for the faculty
of middle school
- 1996. 11. 02 Approved for establishing Graduate School of Information Science
- 1997. 07. 14 Establishing a technology center for spice vegetables under the College of Agriculture
- 1997. 09. 12 Training Center of Sunchon National University opened
- 1998. 10. 21 Dr. Huh Sang Man was inaugurated as the third president
- 1998. 12. 17 Lifelong education center was established
- 1999. 06. 18 Comprehensive service center for students opened
- 1999. 10. 28 The second Humanity building was completed
- 1999. 11. 08 Establishment of sisterhood was contracted with Taiwan National University
- 1999. 12. 15 Enterprise inaugurating center was completed
- 1999. 12. 22 Center of regional agricultural information and technical assistance was established
Sunchon National University
- 2000. 07. 29 International academic interchange was contracted with Osaka University in Japan
- 2000. 08. 16 International academic interchange was contracted with Idaho University in USA
- 2000. 08. 18 International academic interchange was contracted with Central Washington Univer
- Association and Sunchon National University's Farming Education Centersity in USA
- 2000. 09. 25 Trade of Jeonnam agricultural pProduce(pear) was contracted between Taiwan Agricultural Training
- 2000. 10. 04 Student welfare center(management building of dormitory) opened
- 2000. 11. 14 Joint experimental practice center was completed
- 2000. 12. 02 Woo Jeong Won(examination center) was completed
- 2000. 12. 26 The second Educating building was completed
- 2001. 06. 13 Academic information center was completed
- 2001. 08. 16 International academic interchange was contracted with Guangxi College of Education in China
- 2001. 09. 15 International academic interchange was contracted with Zawaharlal Nehru University in India
- 2002. 08. 31 Natural education center was established
- 2002. 10. 10 Dormitory(HyangLimGwan) opened
- 2002. 10. 21 Dr. Kim Jae Gi was inaugurated as the fourth president
- 2003. 05. 01 In-service training institute for directors of practical physical education opened
- 2003. 07. 31 Re-agreement was contracted with Peking University of Science and Technology in China
- 2003. 08. 30 Science education center for talented youths was established
- 2003. 09. 20 e-Campus was constructed
- 2003. 12. 09 Industry-academy cooperation foundation was established
- 2003. 12. 10 Selected as the main university of Jeonnam Techno Park
- 2004. 01. 28 Technology transfer center was established
- 2004. 06. 16 Selected for New University for Regional Innovation(NURI)
- 2004. 07. 20 Selected as the main university of Industry-academic cooperation
- 2004. 07. 30 The third engineering center was completed
- 2004. 08. 10 Selected for Regional Research Center(RRC) business of 2005
- 2004. 08. 12 Selected for Gurye research institute for wild flowers business
- Agreement on the Specialized Regional Innovation Project for Boseong Green Tea Industry
- Agreement on Gimchi Producing Project, Gwangju-Jeonnam Province
- 2004. 09. 01 Agreement on Project Promotion, Core University of Industrial-Educational Cooperation.
- 2004. 11. 09 The renovation of the main administration building was completed : 293.27㎡
- 2004. 11. 10 Gwangyang task force of industry-academy cooperation university was established
- 2004. 11. 16 Interchange agreement was contracted with Choyang University of Technology in Taiwan
- 2004. 11. 25 Industry-academy cooperation agreement was made with Small-medium Business Technology Innovation
Center, Inc One company-one professor system agreement was made as an industry-academy cooperation university
- 2004. 12. 17 Interchange agreement was made with Whatcom Community College in USA
- 2005. 04. 11 Establishment of sisterhood was contracted with Buryatia University in Russia
- 2005. 04. 15 Establishment of sisterhood was contracted with Queensland Language Center in Australia
- 2005. 04. 18 Establishment of sisterhood was contracted with Oklahoma University in USA
- 2005. 04. 25 Establishment of sisterhood was contracted with Qinghai University in China
- 2005. 06. 07 Establishment of sisterhood was contracted with Beppu University in Japan
- 2005. 06. 16 Establishment of sisterhood was contracted with Language Center of Christ Church University in Newzealand
- 2005. 07. 14 Establishment of sisterhood was contracted with Plant Institute of Chinese Academy of Science in China
- 2005. 08. 19 Establishment of sisterhood was contracted with Oita University in Japan
- 2005. 08. 25 70th Year Memorial Hall was completed
- 2005. 09. 12 Establishment of sisterhood was contracted with Ryukyus University in Japan
- 2005. 10. 05 Estates and buildings of Suncheon branch court of Gwangju district court were undertaken
- 2005. 10. 07 Construction of Jirisan Cultural Research Institute was begun
- 2005. 12. 16 Synthetic support agreement on entry authority was contracted with Industrial Property Office
- 2006. 01. 25 Estates and buildings of Suncheon branch office of Gwangju district public prosecutor's office were undertaken
- 2006. 03. 13 Establishment of sisterhood was contracted with Taitung National University in Taiwan
- 2006. 04. 11 Establishment of sisterhood was contracted with Ningbo University in China
- 2006. 05. 01 Establishment of sisterhood was contracted with Hebei University of Technology in China
- 2006. 10. 21 Dr. Jang Man Chae was inaugurated as the fifth president
Sunchon National University Library is located in the middle of the campus. The library was established in 1979, and has collected and offered various data which are needed for investigations and studies. In 1992, the library was opened fully for more effective data utilization, and in 1996, database was constructed by academic informative system based on web. In December 2001, it was enlarged for increasing data, effective management of information and active services. Now, we are trying to construct electronic library and information supplying system, through hightech communication techniques (E-mail contents service (SDI), copy service of original texts, VOD service). To cope with demands of professional information and millennium era, various service systems are being constructed for supporting all sorts of academic investigations.
The museum collects, preserves and exhibits valuable materials of various areas including antiquities, humanities, history, ethnic customs, arts, natural science and folk culture. These collections can help faculty and students by offering investigation materials.
The institute calls in the best instructors for high-quality linguistic service, and operates various programs for linguistic studies. Foreign faculty are housed either in an on-campus dormitory or off-campus in apartments. Contracts typically run for one year at a time and faculty are given the opportunity to teach not only university students but working adults as well.
Life-long Education Center
Human Resources Development Center
The center has been operating various job-seeking programs such as job-seeking counseling, psychological counseling, and academic affairs.
The Language Institute was established in Apr.2008.
Academic-Indestrial Cooperation Organization
This is an agency founded for innovating regional industries by spreading technologies of SNU to industrial foundations. To lead this innovation, commercial ties would be strengthend and various associated programs are managed to support family companies. It also participates actively on various national enterprises managed by the government to complete practical foundation of industry-academic cooperation. It will furthermore supports not only enterprises but also regional innovation.
Sunchon National University boasts one of the finest dormitories in South Korea. The dormitories consist of 5 buildings(Cheongwoongwan, Hyangrimgwan 2, Changjogwan for male and Hyangrimgwan 1&3, Jinligwan for female) and 1 administrative building. Female dormitory is in the form of the latest apartment, and each room has LAN facility. Each dormitory buildings have computer room, resting room, laundry, and various convenient facilities, and also provide high speed internet access, communication systems, and support facilities.
URAP World University Rankings (2013) considered it 1351th in the worldQS World University Rankings (2013/14) considered it 201th in Asia 4ICU World University Rankings (2013) considered it 36th in Korea
Arts and literature
- Kim Sung-hwan, cartoonist
- Park Yong-je, cartoonist
- Kim Jae-hyeon, cartoonist
- Jung Han-na, cartoonist
- Son Gyu-ho, cartoonist
- Oh min-hong, cartoonist
- Youn Soe, cartoonist
- Park Yoon-young, writer and artist
- Choi Bo-ram, writer
- Han Sang-yong, E-sports coach
- Lee, In-hyuk, Professor at University of Georgia
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sunchon National University.|