Cover to Volume 1 of Tonde Burin featuring Tonde Burin and Karin Kokubu.
|Genre||Magical Girl, Parody, Comedy, Action|
|Written by||Taeko Ikeda|
|Original run||October 1994 – September 1995|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Hiroshi Nishikiori
|Produced by||Masahiko Kobayashi|
|Written by||Hiroshi Nishikiori
|Music by||Goro Omi
|Original run||September 3, 1994 – August 26, 1995|
Tonde Burin (とんでぶーりん Tonde Būrin?) is a magical girl parody manga series by Taeko Ikeda which originally ran in the manga magazine Ciao. An anime series based on the manga was created by Nippon Animation and broadcast on MBS stations in Japan from September 3, 1994 through August 26, 1995 under the name Pig Girl of Love and Courage: Tonde Burin (愛と勇気のピッグガール とんでぶーりん Ai to Yūki no Piggu Gāru: Tonde Būrin?). An English language-version titled Super Pig exists and was broadcast in South America with an English voice-over provided independently by each of the various networks that broadcast it. The English and Dutch episodes are very rare.
Other titles by which the show is known include Superświnka, Hiệp sĩ Lợn, Ba Bi Bu Be Buurin, Ba Be Bu Bi Boink!, Super Cerdita, Super Pig and Super Big. The anime aired on TVB Jade in Hong Kong and on TVBS and TTV in Taiwan.
Karin Kokubu (Kassie Carlen) is late for school one day when she comes across an apparently injured yellow pig. It turns out the pig wasn't injured but just hungry, and he gets back his health when he eats Karin's apple. When Karin gets to her school called St. Ringo School, she discovers that the pig has stowed away in her backpack which causes her more trouble.
Later, she meets the pig again and finds out he can talk and fly. The pig gives her a "Dream Tonpact" which she opens and a pig snout appears from it and attaches itself to her nose! She finds the pig again who explains that he is actually Prince Tonrariano the 3rd (Iggy Pig) of the apple-shaped planet Buringo (Oinko). He tells her how she can transform: by saying "Ba Bi Bu Be Burin!" she transforms into a superpowered pink piglet called Tonde Burin (Super Pig). This is not something Karin is happy about at all as she'd rather transform into a magical girl heroine like her idol the henshin hero tokusatsu character "Cutey Chao" (who is possibly a reference to Cutie Honey). Tonrariāno (who she calls Ton-chan) tells her if she can collect 108 pearls by doing good deeds as Burin, she can do so. The pearl collection operates on karma meaning if Burin abuses her powers, she will lose pearls.
Whenever someone is in danger, Karin would become Tonde Burin to thwart the crisis and even use her new abilities to help other people in need.
- Karin Kokubu (国分果林 Kokubu Karin?) / Kassie Carlen
- Voiced by: Yuri Shiratori (Japanese), Julie Maddalena (English)
- The main protagonist of the series. Karin Kokubu was an ordinary 13 year old school girl in 7th grade who came across Tonrariano the 3rd one day while on her way to school and gave him an apple. When she gets to school, she discovers that the pig has stowed away in her bag which causes her more trouble. Later, she meets the pig again and finds out he can talk and fly. She finds a compact which she opens and a pig snout appears from it and attaches itself to her nose! Karin learns that Tonrariano comes from the Buringo World and that she can transform into Tonde Burin, the Pig Girl of Love and Courage. Tonrariano tells her if she can collect 108 pearls by doing good deeds as Buurin she can do so. The pearl collection operates on karma meaning if Tonde Burin abuses her powers, she will lose pearls. There is another drawback to the Tonde Burin alias....If anyone finds out her identity, she will be stuck in the form of a pig for the rest of her life. Karin has a crush on Koichi Mizuno who happens to like Burin. She also has a hobby in painting. When in her Burin alias, she worries about her secret being found out by her father, her little brother, and Jimmy Matsumoto.
- Tonrariano the 3rd (トンラリアーノ３世 Tonrariāno San-sei?) / Iggy Pig
- Voiced by: Yuriko Fuchizaki (Japanese), Derek Stephen Prince (English)
- He is a yellow pig who is a prince from Buuringo and the son of Tonrariano the 2nd. Tonrariano the 3rd came to Earth to undergo a trial to become king. He was found by Karin who he chose to become Burin and later starts to live in Karin's room. He is carefree and well-read yet regrets that Karin hates her Burin plight. Like Burin, Tonrariano can also fly and acts as an advisor to Burin.
- Masami Yamakawa (山川真実 Yamakawa Masami?) / Prudence Plumm
- Voiced by: Chie Satō (Japanese), Caryn Rosenthal (English)
- Masami Yamakawa is Karin's best friend. She would often encourage her in love matters and other things where she would often help her out on some occasions. Masami also has a crush on Hiromi Kashiwagi.
- Kaoru Hidaka (日高薫 Hidaka Kaoru?) / Penny Round
- Voiced by: Junko Asami (Japanese), Wendee Lee (English)
- Kaoru Hidaka is the class cutie in Karin's class. Unlike Karin, Kaoru has an inward personality and is also full of all kinds of fears. She is an expert at cooking and often prepares refreshments for the soccer team.
- Koichi Mizuno (水野光一 Mizuno Kōichi?) / Lance Romero
- Voiced by: Akira Ishida (Japanese), Richard Cansino (English)
- Koichi Mizuno is the captain of the school soccer team. Even though he has to put up with the every female students having a crush on her (which also includes Karin Kokubu and Kaoru Hidaka), Koichi actually has a crush on Tonde Burin (who Koichi became a fan of) unaware that Tonde Burin is actually Karin.
- Takuma Mushanokoji (武者小路琢磨 Mushanokōji Takuma?) / Radford Tammack
- Voiced by: Tsutomu Kashiwakura (Japanese), Tom Romero (English)
- A student in Karin's class and an expert tennis player who has a crush on her and is admired by Keiko Kuroha.
- Hiromi Kashiwagi (柏木広海 Kashiwagi Hiromi?) / Harley Hoover
- Voiced by: Yoshiharu Yamada (Japanese), Anna Garduno (English)
- A student in Karin's class and a close friend of Koichi. He is known for his adventurous spirit and occasional mean comments.
- Jimmy Matsumoto (ジミー松本 Jimī Matsumoto?) / Milton Massen
- Voiced by: Wataru Takagi (Japanese), Kirk Thornton (English)
- A nerd in Karin's class who has developed a crush on Kaoru Hidaka. He is good at astronomy, movie making, and science. He has begun investigating the appearance of Tonde Burin which has made Karin nervous.
- Keiko Kuroha (黒羽競子 Kuroha Keiko?) / Heather Hogwash
- Voiced by: Rica Matsumoto (Japanese), Laura Summer (English)
- The class representative who is Karin Kokubu's rival and the sole daughter of a wealthy businessman that owns a huge enterprise called the Kuroha Group. She has a crush on Takuma Mushanokoji and always thinks that Karin is trying to steal him from her. She is not welcomed by the other girls in her class due to her arrogance, gossipy ways, talks about her wealth, and going into the affairs of other students. While her parents are always away, Keiko's only companions are a pet alligator and a pet octopus. She knows how to control the air as seen in one episode where she operated a hot air balloon as well as operated an airship in the last episode.
- Shinichiro Kokubu (国分信一郎 Kokubu Shinichirō?) / Ken Carlen
- Voiced by: Kenichi Ono (Japanese), Michael Sorich (English)
- Rikako Kokubu (国分リカコ Kokubu Rikako?)
- Shuhei Kokubu (国分周平 Kokubu Shūhei?)
- Voiced by: Satomi Kōrogi
- The younger brother of Karin Kokubu who is a fan of Tonde Burin.
- Makoto Arashiyama (嵐山誠 Arashiyama Makoto?) / Fowley Fastback
- Voiced by: Tarō Arakawa (Japanese), Bob Papenbrook (English)
- A social studies teacher at Sei Ringo Gakuen. Makoto Arashiyama is also the coach of the soccer team and the staff sponsor. He also has a secret crush on Nanako Tateishi. Makoto is always pressured by his relatives to get married to someone where the pressure is so great, he doesn't return home for the new year.
- Nanako Tateishi (立石菜々子 Tateishi Nanako?)
- Voiced by: Maria Kawamura
- The school nurse at Sei Ringo Gakuen. Nanako Tateishi is much welcomed by the students and is admired by the other male teachers where each one tries to get her to go one a date with them. Nanako bears a resemblance to Cutey Chao and is either volunteered or forced several times to dress as her.
- Kondo Masayoshi (近藤正義 Masayoshi Kondō?)
- Voiced by: Keiichi Sonobe
- The tennis coach at Sei Ringo Gakuen who is a fan of "Cutey Chao". He is always competing against Makoto Arashiyama for the attention of Nanako Tateishi.
- Tonrariano the 2nd (トンラリアーノ２世 Tonrariāno Ni-sei?) / Theodorix Pig
- Voiced by: Takao Ōyama (Japanese), R. Martin Klein (English)
- He is the King of Buringo World and the father of Tonrariano the 3rd. Tonrariano the 2nd sent Tonrariano the 3rd to Earth to undergo a trial that would enable his son to become the next king. He is not seen in this series, but often contacts his son through the Dream Tonpact. Tonrariano the 2nd plays a key role in Burin's scoring as he decides how many pearls she gets for every heroic action that she does.
- Kobuta (Kobūta?)
- The Kobuta are a red pig, a green pig, and a blue pig who appear on the show to emphasize on a joke.
- Butan (ブータン Būtan?)
- Voiced by: Maruo Tomoko
- A professional wrestler dressed up as Tonde Burin since the professional wrestler admired Tonde Burin. She would always make a good substitute when someone makes a movie of Tonde Burin.
- Goro Tatsumaki (Tatsumaki Goro)
- Voiced by: Nishimura Tomohiro
- Goro Tatsumaki is the leader of a soccer team at Warasuno Junior High School and the older brother of Hitomi Tatsumaki. He is always seen with two unnamed friends of his and prefers to use tricks so that his soccer team can win.
- Hitomi Tatsumaki (Tatsumaki Hitomi)
- Voiced by: Tange Sakura
- Hitomi Tatsumaki is the younger sister of Goro Tatsumaki. She is in the same class as Shuhei Kokuba.
A "pilot" story titled Bibbidi Bobbidi Būrin!! (ビビデ·バビデ·ぶ〜りん!! Bibide Bobide Būrin!!?) appeared in the fall 1993 issue of Ciao DX. The manga series subsequently appeared in Ciao from the October 1994 issue through the September 1995 issue. The tankōbon, or collections, were released in three volumes by Shogakukan's Flower Comics label.
- Volume 1, ISBN 4-09-136451-9 (released April 1995)
- Volume 2, ISBN 4-09-136452-7 (released August 1995)
- Volume 3, ISBN 4-09-136453-5 (released October 1995)
- Love is Uncool (愛はカッコわるい Ai wa Kakko Warui?)
- Burin à la mode (ぶーりん あ·ら·もーど Būrin a ra mōdo?)
|1||"The Super Girl Burin is Born"
"Chō shōjo Būrin Tanjō" (超少女ぶーりん誕生)
|September 3, 1994|
|2||"Shoot of Love and Youth"
"Ai to Seishun no Shūto" (愛と青春のシュート)
|September 10, 1994|
|3||"Smash of Love and Friendship"
"Namida to Yūjō no Sumasshu" (涙と友情のスマッシュ)
|September 17, 1994|
|4||"The Youth Bet in the Ring"
"Ringu ni Kaketa Seishun" (リングに賭けた青春)
|September 24, 1994|
|5||"Entering a Friendship Tug-of-war"
"Tsunahiki ga Musunda Yūjō" (綱引きが結んだ友情)
|October 1, 1994|
|6||"Discovery! A Clay Doll of Burin"
"Hakken! Būrin no Dogū" (発見！ぶーりんの土偶)
|October 8, 1994|
|7||"The Scarred Heroine"
"Kizudarake no Hiroin" (傷だらけのヒロイン)
|October 15, 1994|
|8||"The Great Diet Battle!"
"Daietto Dai Sakusen!" (ダイエット大作戦！)
|October 22, 1994|
|9||"Warriors of the Circuit"
"Sākitto no Senshi-tachi" (サーキットの戦士たち)
|October 29, 1994|
|10||"The Fire of a Journalist's Soul"
"Honō no Jānarisuto Tamashī" (炎のジャーナリスト魂)
|November 5, 1994|
|11||"Aim to be the Best Couple!"
"Besuto Kappuru wo Nerae!" (ベストカップルを狙え！)
|November 12, 1994|
|12||"The Super Boy Kashiwagi is Born!"
"Chō Shōnen Kashiwagi Tanjō!" (超少年カシワギ誕生！)
|November 19, 1994|
|13||"Mission Sworn to the Galazy"
"Ginga ni Chikau Misshon" (銀河に誓うミッション)
|November 26, 1994|
|14||"Cheers and Applause of the Theatre"
"Hakushu to Kassai no Teatoru" (拍手と喝采のテアトル)
|December 3, 1994|
|15||"Grief of the Young Girl's Monpe"
"Wakaki Monpe Shōjo no Nageki" (若きもんぺ少女の嘆き)
|December 10, 1994|
|16||"Least Favorite Christmas!?"
"Honmei no Inai Kurisumasu!?" (本命のいないＸマス！？)
|December 17, 1994|
|17||"The Girl who Shook Fate"
"Unmei ni Yureru Shōjo" (運命にゆれる少女)
|December 24, 1994|
|18||"Homsick Story of the New Year"
"Shinshun Hōmushikku Sutōrī" (新春ホームシック物語)
|January 7, 1995|
|19||"Love Dancing in a Silvery White Storm"
"Shirogane ni Mau Koi no Arashi" (白銀に舞う恋の嵐)
|January 14, 1995|
|20||"A Giant Keiko Plant Appeared!"
"Kyodai Shokubutsu Keiko Shutsugen!" (巨大植物ケイコ出現！)
|January 21, 1995|
|21||"Carousel of Love and Anguish"
"Ai to Kunō no Kaitenmokuba" (愛と苦悩の回転木馬)
|January 28, 1995|
|22||"Ton-chan's Fated Love"
"Ton-chan no Koi no Yukue" (トンちゃんの恋の行方)
|February 4, 1995|
|23||"Valentine of Law and Courage"
"Giri to Yūki no Barentain" (義理と勇気の２・１４)
|February 11, 1995|
|24||"Love Beyond God's Control"
"Ai wa Omiwatari wo Koete" (愛は御神渡りを越えて)
|February 18, 1995|
|25||"Karin Takes Over the Hinamatsuri"
"Karin ga Uketsugu Hinamatsuri" (果林が受け継ぐひな祭り)
|February 25, 1995|
|26||"Only One Rival!"
"Raibaru wa Tada Hitori!" (好敵手はただ一人！)
|March 4, 1995|
|27||"Shock! Burin is Annihilated!?"
"Shōgeki! Būrin Shōmetsu!?" (衝撃！ぶーりん消滅！？)
|March 11, 1995|
|28||"A Little Rhapsody of Love"
"Chīsana koi no Rapusodī" (小さな恋の狂詩曲)
|March 18, 1995|
|29||"Taken Course to the Island of Eternal Summer"
"Tokonatsu no Shima e Shinro wo Tore" (常夏の島へ進路をとれ)
|March 25, 1995|
|30||"A Friend Disappeared in the Jungle"
"Mitsurin ni Kieta Tomo" (密林に消えた友)
|April 1, 1995|
|31||"A Storm Called over the Student Council Election"
"Arashi wo Yobu Seito-kai Senkyo" (嵐を呼ぶ生徒会選挙)
|April 8, 1995|
|32||"The Innocent Boy's Late-blooming Cherry Blossoms of Love"
"Junjō Shōnen Osozaki no Koi Sakura" (純情少年遅咲きの恋桜)
|April 15, 1995|
|33||"Trapped Pollen Drifting in Broad Daylight"
"Hakujitsu ni Tadayou Kafun no Wana" (白日に漂う花粉のワナ)
|April 22, 1995|
|34||"Swimming Koinobori of Friendship"
"Oyoge Yūjō no Koinobori" (泳げ友情のこいのぼり)
|April 29, 1995|
|35||"The Secret of Takuma's Birth"
"Takuma Shussei no Himitsu" (琢磨・出生の秘密)
|May 6, 1995|
|36||"Legend of the Goddess Dancing in the Countryside"
"Denen ni Mau Megami no Densetsu" (田園に舞う女神の伝説)
|May 13, 1995|
|37||"A Love Letter is a One-way Ticket to First Love"
"Koibumi wa Hatsu Koi no Katamichikippu" (恋文は初恋の片道切符)
|May 20, 1995|
|38||"The Man who Opened the Forbidden Door"
"Kindan no Tobira wo Hiraku Otoko" (禁断の扉を開く男)
|May 27, 1995|
|39||"Mystery of the Hidden Family Crest"
"Himerareta Kamon no Nazo" (秘められた家紋の謎)
|June 3, 1995|
|40||"The Woman who Failed to be the Heroine"
"Hiroin ni Nari Sokoneta Onna" (主役になりそこねた女)
|June 10, 1995|
|41||"Tenacious Man Jimmy Matsumoto"
"Shūnen no Otoko Jimī Matsumoto" (執念の男ジミー松本)
|June 17, 1995|
|42||"Burin vs Burin"
"Būrin tai Būrin" (ぶーりんｖｓぶーりん)
|June 24, 1995|
|43||"Ghost Stories - A Midsummer Night's Mistake"
"Kaidan - Manatsu no Yoru no Ayamachi" (怪談・真夏の夜の過ち)
|July 1, 1995|
|44||"The Lost Tonpact"
"Ushinawareta Tonpakuto" (失われたトンパクト)
|July 8, 1995|
|45||"Proud Moment of Promise"
"Yakusoku no Haresugata" (約束の晴れ姿)
|July 15, 1995|
|46||"Footsteps of a Creepy Farewell"
"Shinobiyoru Wakare no Ashioto" (忍び寄る別れの足音)
|July 22, 1995|
|47||"The House of a Noble Woman"
"Kedakaki Onna no Yakata" (気高き女の館)
|July 29, 1995|
|48||"When the Evil Flower Garden Laughs"
"Aku no Hanazono ga Warau Toki" (悪の花園が笑うとき)
|August 5, 1995|
|49||"Crisis! The Academy is Targeted"
"Kiki! Nerawareta Gakuen" (危機！狙われた学園)
|August 12, 1995|
|50||"Metamorphosis of Tears"
"Namida no Metamorufōze" (涙のメタモルフォーゼ)
|August 19, 1995|
|51||"The Super Girl's Future"
"Chō Shōjo no Mirai" (超少女の未来)
|August 26, 1995|
- Karin Kokubu: Yuri Shiratori
- Tonrariāno III/Narrator: Yuriko Fuchizaki
- Kōichi Mizuno: Akira Ishida
- Keiko Kuroha/Buta Session/Buta Session G: Rika Matsumoto
- Masami Yamakawa/Buta Session/Buta Session B: Chie Satō
- Nanako Tateishi/Cutey Ciao: Maria Kawamura
- Kaoru Hidaka: Junko Asami
- Hiromi Kashiwagi: Yoshiharu Yamada
- Makoto Arashiyama: Tarō Arakawa
- Masayoshi Kondō: Keiichi Sonobe
- Takuma Mushanokōji: Tsutomu Kashiwakura
- Shin'ichirō Kokubu: Kenichi Ono
- Rikako Kokubu: Yumi Hikita, Yūko Mizutani
- Shūhei Kokubu/Buta Session/Buta Session R: Satomi Kōrogi
- Tonrariāno II: Takao Ōyama
- Jimmy Matsumoto: Wataru Takagi
- Gorō Tatsumaki: Tomohiro Nishimura
- Hitomi Tatsumaki: Sakura Tange
- Buritī Koizumi: Yumi Tōma
- Būtan: Tomoko Maruo
- Midori: Tamao Hayashi
- Minsei Kitagawa: Kanemaru Jun'ichi
- Mucchi: Megumi Ogata
- Maccho/Announcer: Kōji Ishii
- Kotoko Mushanokōji: Yuri Amano
- Kurama Mushanokōji: Masami Kikuchi
- Richard Cansino - Lance Romero
- Anna Garduno - Harley Hoover
- R. Martin Klein - Theodorix Pig
- Wendee Lee - Penny Round
- Julie Maddalena - Super Pig/Kassie Carlen
- Bob Papenbrook - Fowley Fastback
- Derek Stephen Prince - Iggy Piggy
- Tom Romero - Radford Tammack
- Caryn Rosenthal - Prudence Plumm
- Michael Sorich - Ken Carlen
- Laura Summer - Heather Hogwarsh
- Kirk Thornton - Milton Massen
- Stephen Apostolina - Script Adaptation
- Robert Axelrod - Script Adaptation
- Tifanie Christun - Music Assistant
- Marc Handler - Voice Director, Script Adaptation
- Wendee Lee - Voice Director, Script Adaptation
- Kevin Newson - Voice Director, Script Adaptation
- Eric S. Rollman - Executive Director
- Michael Sorich - Script Adaptation
- Tonde Buurin at Nippon Animation's official website (Japanese)
- Tonde Buurin at Internet Movie Database
- Tonde Burin (anime) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
- Tonde Buurin at Absolute Anime