Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon
|Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Mike Myers|
|Produced by||Beth Aala|
|Edited by||Joseph Krings|
|Running time||84 minutes|
Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon is a 2013 American documentary film about talent manager Shep Gordon, directed by Mike Myers. The film is the account of Gordon's career and his clients such as Alice Cooper, Blondie, Teddy Pendergrass, and Pink Floyd (for 9 days). The film also addresses Gordon's personal life and his interest in cooking, producing films, and his Buddhist beliefs. The film was screened in the Gala Presentation section at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival. It won the audience award for best documentary at the 2014 Sarasota Film Festival, and also screened at the 2014 Tribeca Film Festival. It was released theatrically on June 6, 2014.
- Shep Gordon as himself
- Alice Cooper as himself
- Michael Douglas himself
- Emeril Lagasse as himself
- Anne Murray as herself
- Willie Nelson as himself
- Derek Shook as himself
- Sylvester Stallone as himself
- Mike Myers as himself
Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon received generally positive reviews upon its release. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gave the film a score of 76% based on reviews from 67 critics. Metacritic gives the film a score of 64/100 based on reviews from 26 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews". David Rooney of The Hollywood Reporter described Myers's film as a "sloppy kiss on an entertainment industry maverick" and called it "brisk", "entertaining", and "somewhat scattered". Similarly, Mark Adams of Screen Daily described the work as "warm-hearted", "enjoyably fluffy", and "a genially non-critical film that leaves audiences with a smile". David Plumer of The Young Folks.com praises Supermensch as being "well made, entertaining, funny, and interesting. It is a perfect documentary for all rock and roll fans, pop culture buffs, and just about anybody else."
- "Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 19 August 2014.
- Amy Kaufman, "Mike Myers to direct documentary about talent manager Shep Gordon", Los Angeles Times, July 22, 2013.
- "Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon". TIFF. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- Wade Tatangelo, "Sarasota Film Festival awards announced", Sarasota Herald-Tribune, April 12, 2014.
- Ashley Lee, "Tribeca: 'Supermensch' Shep Gordon Talks Maui Parties, Rap Music and Advice for Today's Managers", The Hollywood Reporter, April 27, 2014.
- Amber Ray, "'Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon' trailer: Meet the guy behind the guy", Entertainment Weekly, April 27, 2014.
- "Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- "Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon Reviews". Metacritic. 2014-06-06. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- David Rooney, "Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon: Toronto Review", The Hollywood Reporter, September 12, 2013.
- Mark Adams, "Supermensch: The Legend Of Shep Gordon" (review), Screen Daily, March 15, 2014.