||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008)|
5 July 1966 |
Kingston-upon-Thames, London, England
Susannah Doyle (born 5 July 1966) is an English actress, playwright and film director, best known for her roles in the situation comedies Drop The Dead Donkey (as Joy Merryweather), and Ballykissangel (as Avril Burke).
The daughter of the Irish actor Tony Doyle, she realised that she wished to follow in his footsteps when, aged about five or six, she was taken to see him work, often in tiny theatres with audience and actors close together.
Her big TV break came in 1991 with the role of Joy, the intelligent, acid-tongued secretary and foil to her corporate-speak boss, in the Channel 4 comedy Drop The Dead Donkey. Other TV roles followed, including two episodes of A Touch of Frost in 1997. When her father died in 2000, the producers of Ballykissangel asked whether she would take on the role of his daughter. She had reservations over her ability to cope emotionally but took on the part of Avril Burke. In 2001, she also appeared in an episode of Cold Feet and one of Pie in the Sky. In 2012 she appeared in an episode of police comedy Vexed.
Since 2001, she has been pursuing parallel careers of scriptwriting and acting.
- Scandal (1989) ... Jackie
- Don't Go Breaking My Heart (1999) ... Diane
- About a Boy (2002) ... Bitter Ex-Girlfriend
- A Congregation of Ghosts (2009) .... Barbara Baxter
- "Birthdays". The Independent (findarticles.com). 5 July 2005.[dead link]
- Wills, Colin (18 February 2001). "Interview - Susannah Doyle: I still don't allow myself to miss dad". Sunday Mirror (findarticles.com).
- IMDb Scandal (1989) Full Cast & Crew
- IMDb Don't Go Breaking My Heart (1999) Full Cast & Crew
- IMDb About a Boy (2002) Full Cast & Crew
- IMDb A Congregation of Ghosts (2009)