Sydney Howard Vines FRS (1849–1934) was a British botanist who held the Sherardian Chair of Botany at Oxford University from 1888 to 1919, served as President of the Linnean Society of London from 1900 to 1904, and directed the publication of the Annals of Botany from 1887 to 1899.
Education and career 
Vines studied at Christ's College, Cambridge, obtaining his Bachelor of Sciences in 1873, Bachelor of Arts in 1876, Master of Arts in 1879, and his Doctorate in 1883. He became a member of the Linnean Society of London in 1885. He wrote Lectures on the Physiology of Plants (1886) and in 1895 published A Student’s Text-Book of Botany, and among the books he co-wrote are Science Lectures at South Kensington (1878), An Elementary Text-book of Botany (1880), A Course of Practical Instruction in Botany (1887), Text-book of Botany, Morphological and Physical (1892), An Account of the Herbarium of the University of Oxford (1897), An Elementary Text-book of Botany: From the German of Dr. K. Prantl (1898), The Dillenian Herbaria, (1907).
Additional information 
His parents birthnames were William Reynolds and Jessie Robertson. He married an Agnes Bertha Perry in 1884. The Vines, Oxford was built for him.
- ^ r., A. B. (1934). "Sydney Howard Vines. 1849-1934". Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 1 (3): 185. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1934.0003.
- ^ "Prof. S. H. Vines, F.R.S". Nature 133 (3363): 562–560. 1934. doi:10.1038/133562c0.
- ^ a b c d e Allen G. Debus (dir.) (1968). World Who’s Who in Science. Debus (ed.) (1968). World Who's Who in Science. A Biographical Dictionary of Notable Scientists from Antiquity to the Present. Marquis-Who’s Who (Chicago) : xvi + 1855 p. A Biographical Dictionary of Notable Scientists from Antiquity to the Present.-Marquis Who's Who (Chicago): xvi + 1855 p.
- ^ Venn, J.; Venn, J. A., eds. (1922–1958). "Vines, Sydney Howard". Alumni Cantabrigienses (10 vols) (online ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- ^ Google Books, Lectures on the Physiology of Plants by Sydney Howard Vines (1886), accessed 01-17-2009
- ^ Google Books, A Student's Text-book of Botany by Sydney Howard Vines (1895), accessed 01-17-2009
- ^ Google Books, Books by Sydney Howard Vines, accessed 01-17-2009
- ^ "Author Query for 'Vines'". International Plant Names Index.