System Center Data Protection Manager
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012)|
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (October 2012)|
|Stable release||2012 / 2012|
|Operating system||Windows Server|
|Type||Near-continuous data protection, data recovery|
|License||Commercial proprietary software|
System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM) is a software product from Microsoft that provides near-continuous data protection and data recovery in a Microsoft Windows environment. It is part of the Microsoft System Center family of products and is Microsoft's first entry into the near-continuous backup and data recovery. It uses Shadow Copy technology for continuous backups.
Data Protection Manager delivers centralized backup of branch offices and within the data center, by near-continuously protecting changed files at the byte-level to a secondary disk, which can then be backed up to tape. This also enables rapid and reliable recovery from an easily accessible disk instead of waiting to locate and mount tapes.
Data Protection Manager 2006 was released on September 27, 2005 at Storage Decisions in New York. The current version, Data Protection Manager 2012, supports protection of Windows file servers, Exchange Server, Microsoft SQL Server, SharePoint and Microsoft Virtual Server. It features bare-metal restore.
Following versions of the servers are supported:
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Exchange Server 2003 with SP2
- Exchange Server 2007
- Exchange Server 2010
- Exchange Server 2013
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 with SP4
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 with SP1 or SP2.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012
- Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
- SharePoint 2007
- SharePoint 2010
- SharePoint 2013
- Windows XP SP2
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Ganger, Devin; Ryan Femling. Mastering System Center Data Protection Manager 2007. ISBN 978-0-470-18152-2.
- Buchanan, Steve. Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2010. ISBN 978-1-84968-202-2.
- Buffington, Jason. Data Protection for Virtual Data Centers. ISBN 978-0-470-57214-6.
- Robert, Hedblom; Steve Buchanan, Islam Gomaa, Flemming Riis. Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2012. ISBN 978-1-849-68630-3.
- Official website
- Data Protection Manager blog
- All Backed Up – DPM product manager's blog
- DPM Version and Service Pack Information
- Data Protect Manager on Microsoft TechNet