|Lahore was a good articles nominee, but did not meet the good article criteria at the time. There are suggestions below for improving the article. Once these issues have been addressed, the article can be renominated. Editors may also seek a reassessment of the decision if they believe there was a mistake.|
|Lahore has been listed as a level-4 vital article in Geography. If you can improve it, please do. This article has been rated as B-Class.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|This article has been mentioned by a media organisation:|
- 1 Lahore Area
- 2 Un neutral History
- 3 JINAAY LAHORE NAHIN WAKHIYA WOH JAMIYA HI NAHIN
- 4 Article Rearranged
- 5 Sikh History
- 6 History Rearranged
- 7 Sikh History
- 8 Hindu History
- 9 REQUEST
- 10 Buddhist History
- 11 Lahore fort
- 12 Todo
- 13 Famous Lahoris
- 14 Shimla Pahari
- 15 Mohammadan Anglo Oriental College
- 16 Lahore Spelling
- 17 pictures
- 18 Spelling of Lahore
- 19 Spelling of Lahore
- 20 Sites of Interest Section Sorting out
- 21 Holidays
- 22 The LHE-infobox
- 23 Rule of the Mughals
- 24 Removed one image and put another
- 25 Area
- 26 Switching sides of pictures
- 27 Lots of changes & Improvements to the article done
- 28 Improvements made
- 29 Amusement Parks for Youngsters
- 30 Shopping
- 31 Administrative Town
- 32 Love Tale of Ghaznavi and Ayaz
- 33 Too many photos
- 34 GA review
- 35 Preservation of Architecture
- 36 Unreferenced Sources/Grammar
- 37 The History Section
- 38 Climate
- 39 Featured article status
- 40 Image copyright problem with File:100px-Pk-punj.PNG
- 41 peer Review
- 42 Why Lahore written in Gurmukhi Script?
- 43 Hi
- 44 Ayaz is connected with Lahore, please add the story of Ayaz again!
- 45 Demographics
- 46 File:Daewoo Express.jpg Nominated for Deletion
- 47 File:Imran Khan Lifting World Cup for Pakistan in 1992.jpg Nominated for speedy Deletion
- 48 Map image breaches policy & has been removed
- 49 Lahore - why not also in (native) Sanskrit script?! or (native) Punjabi Gurmukhi script?
- 50 Recent edits by Lilpiglet & My suggestions
- 51 May 27 2014 Murder in front of courthouse
Please write about the Lahore Area in KiloMeters
Un neutral History
please please write neutral history. Muslims always say they have created Lahore. There was Sikh Buddhist and Hindu contrubution. Lahore was Hindu/Sikh Majority town until 1947.
No offence all the Buddhists in Lahore and Multan were converted into Islam and taken the control of the towns.
JINAAY LAHORE NAHIN WAKHIYA WOH JAMIYA HI NAHIN
I have rearranged all the article according to articles of other international cities so but still it needs more and better qualtity of information
Safiuddinkhan 15:17, 17 February 2007 (UTC)
I have put something neutral here but it is fact that sikhs destroyed many momentums of lahore and misused many others and fought with each other until ranjit singh came and in his reign things became stable and tried to remove many things but still many building were still misused . it is not about that they treated muslims bad or hindus and sikhs good . it is that these things happens . in many areas where muslims ruled they misused many hindu and sikh buildings . so plz dont remove this section i have put it from some authentic source put neutrality is disputed sign over it if you dont agree with me. Safiuddinkhan 15:17, 17 February 2007 (UTC)
really??where are your facts and where is your source???--all bullshit.
I have rearranged the history . Divided it into sections .. dont remove the sikh section . it is a fact that sikhs destroyed many old mughal momentums and what they build was not compare to that of the old mughal architechture but i'll try to add more neutral information or if some one can .i also removed the persian empire thing lahore was never the capital of punjab before late dehli sultantat and mughal perioded and was never under persian empire . they never came east of indus.
We need a section on the Sikh History of Lahore, when it was a capital of the Sikh Empire. There are many famous Gurudwaras (Sikh places of worship) in Lahore proper and environs. This would create a more complete picture of Lahore. Please keep this proposed new section neutral. The goal is NOT to re-visit old fights. Just document history.
We need a section on the Hindu history of Lahore. Till 1947 Lahore was a Hindu majority town (a fact not known by most people). Let us talk about the culture, temples etc. Please keep this proposed new section neutral. The goal is NOT to re-visit old fights. Just document history.
That's because it is not a fact but a figment of your imagination.
Yes I agree, a section is certainly needed. In fact Lahore was not a Hindu majority town at partition, but most businesses were owned by Hindus. no most hindus were working for muslims once the british came it changed the stole from muslims and handed over there wealth to hindus.
The famous saying about Lahore is the main thing about Lahore. These sayings are heard by every Lahori who has lived there and I did not make this up on my own so please keep this new section there. You may want to update them if you want. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Mohammadkidwai (talk • contribs) 02:10, 9 December 2007 (UTC)
- This is WIKIPEDIA - not Youtube or Yahoo or Geocities or a blog. IF these are famous sayings then provide a reliable source - for example an academic source or a newspaper or a book. It is simply not good enough for you to say that your edit is true. Yey baatan ko koi khas beyan hai ya ney? Green Giant (talk) 02:40, 9 December 2007 (UTC)
I would like to see the Buddhist history of Lahore. During the time of Ashoka, Buddhism was widely practiced in the region.Are there any monuments remaining? Any artwork? Please keep this proposed new section neutral. The goal is NOT to re-visit old fights. Just document history.
Lahore fort is the famous landmark of lahore but its picture is not displayed at the main page of lahore.so i put it there as well as a good picture of lahore railway station —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Safiuddinkhan (talk • contribs) 18:00, 29 December 2006 (UTC).
- pre-1252 history
- Post-1700 history
- age distribution
- Famous Lahorians (sp?)
- Rule of the Mughals
- Maps of Lahore
Removed from the article:
Most of the names in Famous Lahori section do not belong to Lahore. Please dont spread misinformation via wikipedia. I have added the name of governor general of Pakistan (1951-55) Malik Ghulam Muhammad in the list, who was born in Lahore in 1895. M. Imran, 2 February 2006, 11:15 (UTC)
- I agree with M. Imran. Please remove names that are not related with Lahore. --Spasage 06:10, 4 February 2006 (UTC)
REMOVED from Famous Lahoris
Mohammad Waseef Aadil , never heard of him and doesnt seems to me a famous person. Can anyone coment on it? i know him :) if u dun knw it dzt mean dat every 1 dun knwz abt hm Fahadhabib 11:30, 6 December 2005 (UTC)
Can anyone substantiate the existence of this tomb, and the veracity of the linked article? -- The Anome 22:36, 14 May 2004 (UTC)
what is the area of Lahore/
- Reply This tomb does exist. It is located off of a road off the Durand Road near Shimla Pahari at the end of a tiny street that has such a small entrance that you could easily walk past it and not even realize that at the end of the street is this tomb. But the tomb is very famous in the area and is the cause of much economic activity by people selling flowers and such. Go to Queen Mary College for Women or the Convent of Jesus & Mary, and ask ANYONE where's Bi Bi Pak Daman and he/she will show you the way. The pictures in the Bi Bi Pak Daman article are real and are of the genuine article.
Mohammadan Anglo Oriental College
The cricinfo article on Dilawar Hussain  says that he was the Principal of MAO College in Lahore. I couldn't find the name of the college in the list in the article. Is the college still around ? Tintin 04:56, 31 August 2005 (UTC)
- Yes, the college is very much around. It is commonly called M.A.O. college and very few Lahoris are aware that that stands for Mohammadan Anglo Oriental College!
I changed the ه in لاهور to a چهوٹى ەے . Also capitalized a few proper nouns and adjectival nouns, like Lahori, which conforms with the wikipedia policy on capitalization. Then added Bapsi Sidhwa to famous Lahoris. Besides Lollywood, a film that had a wider audience - Earth - was set in Lahore. Although I have no idea where it was really filmed. Good luck to anyone with finding any reliable religious demographics, since the Pakistani government is going to pad the Sunni stats. Khirad 23:12, 24 September 2005 (UTC)
we need tutorials for you guys on uploading images. also - where is Foreign Service Academy? lahore, nei? Shazzamm 16:10, 7 October 2005 (UTC)
Spelling of Lahore
Hi, the Urdu version of lahore needs to join the ChoTi he to the vav that is precedes.
Spelling of Lahore
Hi, the Urdu version of Lahore needs to join the ChoTi he to the vav that is precedes.
Sites of Interest Section Sorting out
The site of interest in the Lahore article needs to be redone again with subheading such as momuments, parks, shopping, mosques, moseleoums etc with a list under each subheading leading to the articles.
At the moement it is very hard to understand? The information seems to be very mixed up!
- Agreed, this section needs to sorting out with proper heading and sections. User talk:Fast track 26 January 2006
What do Eid-ul-Fitr & Eid-ul-Adha have to do with Lahore ? do Lahoris celebrate is different then the rest of Pakistan ?, these two holidays dont seem to be linked to lahore, for example u can say that the horse and cattle show is linked with Lahore, or that basant is very celebrated in Lahore, but the same cant be true for Eid-ul-Fitr & Eid-ul-Adha. These two holidays are mentioned in the Pakistan article. I suggest their removal from this article. Please discuss digitalSurgeon 12:40, 23 February 2006 (UTC)
I have moved the information from the infobox directly into the article so that the infobox can be deleted. Just in case anyone is considering creating new infoboxes, please remember that the purpose of such templates is to share them between several articles. One article having it's own infobox is a waste of wikipedia resources, no matter how unique that article is. Green Giant 16:35, 4 March 2006 (UTC)
- The new infobox is called Template:Pakistani Cities which will be used for the major cities of Pakistan. Green Giant 17:44, 4 March 2006 (UTC)
Rule of the Mughals
Removed one image and put another
I have removed on of the images on this page and put another. The removed image is Image:Mr(1935).jpg and the replaced image is Image:Gawal Mandi.JPG. I removed the picture because it was not of a good quality. --Andy123(talk) 15:37, 15 April 2006 (UTC)
Is there an official source for the 1014 km2 and 404 km2 figures in the article. Geohive.com lists the old Lahore district as 1,772 km2. If the city district and old Lahore district are coterminous, then the area should be updated. My impression is the 404 km2 figure excludes Lahore Cantonment. Polaron 22:28, 18 April 2006 (UTC)
Switching sides of pictures
I have noticed something in this article - all of the pictures are on the right hand side. I think that they should be switched around. This will make the article look more professional. If any new pictures are added, please make them in accordance with the new sides. Thanks. Stallions2010 00:36, 24 April 2006 (UTC)
Lots of changes & Improvements to the article done
I have redone the article to improve its quaality;
- Infobox images changes from Badshahi Mosque to Minar-ePakistan
- Formed paragraphs for many of the sections and removed excessive images that crowded many of the sections
- Moved the text relating to the Walled City to the Walled City of Lahore article and added links to the Gates which can be expanded upon.
- Made a list of the sites of interest like the Karachi article that should be expanded upon in the articles and not this article!
- Combined the Georgaphy and Climate sections and wrote separate paragraphs for each
- Combined the Industry and Manufacturing section with the Economy sections as they were talking about similiar things
- Festivals and Celebrations are now under the heading of Culture and formed paragraphs for each festivals.
- Education and univeristy list have their own article, so if you wich to add more university and colleges to the list add in the appropriate articles.
- Transport section, formed paragraphs out of the sub sections and releated it to Lahore and removed the excessive pics in that section.
I shall continue improving this article. Do leave comments about what you think of the changes and recommend any suggestions -- Fast track 02:49 15 June 2006 (UTC)
Add virtual university of pakistan(vu)govt. of pakistan) in universities of lahore.
I've added/replaced some pictures, to help show a better face of Lahore. Some remaining pictures may also need to be changed or added with better ones (such as for the Horse and Cattle Show, airport, parks, stadia and cultural events). Let's try to get the best one's available before inserting them at random. I've also rearranged their alignment to improve the format, as per earlier comment. In the text, I've modified the list of famous roads to make it more complete and informative for a first-time user (otherwise, just street names are useless), and edited the para on the restaurants and food street.
Hope this improves the page. If I've missed out on any copyright info on the images, please provide it so that they are not automatically deleted.
I fixed up the history portion a little. Removed the rudyard kipling reference under history- it was pretty much picked up off the main kipling article and was irrelevant to the history of the city.. if at all it should be mentioned under culture (or the famous lahoris section but that's been removed) but I couldn't really see where it fits in. Also added dates for sikh rule (1799-1849). added cricket world cup in 1996. If anyone has any other ideas for historical events please do add. and someone please fix the Nightlife subheading.. its rather funny but not appropriate.
Amusement Parks for Youngsters
For youngsters, there is no information on Amusement/Theme parks. Can any body come up with a list and locations. I know of Joy Land and Sindbad that are close to Fortress Stadium. Then there ale Jallo Park and Sozo Park nera the canal Benk (northern part of Lahore) Please let me know others
- They have been added to the article, thankyou for point in them out. --Fast track 19:51, 15 November 2006 (UTC)
The Shopping section needs to be re-written, it seems like an advertisment. Also, you can't label restaurants and shops "world class" without citations. Ozzykhan 20:36, 25 August 2006 (UTC)
I am quite sure that Faisal Town, Wapda Town are not considered administrative towns in the local government setup.Whoever has written this portion has mixed/confused localities with administrative towns.Awais 06:18, 16 October 2006 (UTC)
I am unable to figure out the connection between Lahore and the love affair. If someone wants to narrate the connection, one must do it at the articles concerning Mahmood and Ayaz. This article has got nothing to do with King becoming the slave of his own slave and everyhting else. All that is required is the conquest and the appointment of Ayaz as governor. There is no citation for the affair too. I am removing the unrelated passage from the article.voldemortuet 20:09, 2 December 2006 (UTC)
Too many photos
There are too many photos on the page, some of them don't deserve to be there, many are clogged up at the bottom, I'm removing some of them, the rest need to be arranged as well. 188.8.131.52 06:44, 12 February 2007 (UTC)
e.g. "A shopping mall in downtown Lahore", "The magnificent Catholic Cathedral built by the British" 184.108.40.206 06:49, 12 February 2007 (UTC)
Article is well organized into good sections. Prose looks good overall. However, there is a serious lack of reference citations. For an article this long, it only has five citations, which is insufficient. I could list specific items that need cited, but it's really most of the article, so that's pointless. WP:CITE would have some useful information in how to format and use inline citations.
The 'sites of interest' and 'other sites' sections are also just lists. These sections should be written out as prose. I would also recommend combining these sections, and possibly including them as a subsection under 'culture', since they're primarily cultural attractions. The 'Lahore in literature' section might also be moved to a subsection under 'culture' as well, possibly creating a new section for 'in popular culture', containing other pop culture, music, song, and other literature references.
The long list of business in the economy section would probably also be better if it was moved to a separate page (e.g. List of Businesses in Lahore) and linked as a see also at the end of the section.
The 'external links' section is a bit long, and several links could probably be removed. You might find it useful to review WP:EL here.
Preservation of Architecture
"Due to Lahore's rich history, the Mughal and colonial architecture has still been preserved in all its splendour." This does not make sense anyone know what was meant? Thehalfone 20:58, 11 May 2007 (UTC)
- Maybe something like "Mughal and colonial architecture belonging to Lahore's rich history has still been preserved in all its splendour." --Webkami 12:09, 12 May 2007 (UTC)
This article needs to cite its sources. I tagged it three days ago, but since then the banner has been removed. I am re-tagging the article for citations, and I will use the "citation needed" note wherever sources are not cited. If we want to make this a good and later a featured article, we will have to cite our sources.
Also, the grammar and spelling of this article are not very good. I'm tagging the article for this, too.
If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
--Stallions2010 20:31, 4 June 2007 (UTC)
|This article, or a portion of it, was copyedited by the League of Copyeditors in September 2007. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the project and see a list of open tasks.
Hello! I am from the WP:LoCE and wanted to let you know that we will not complete a proofread of this article until you have resolved the many citation tags in the article. You are welcome to relist it with us once the only remaining issues are with style, grammar, etc. Thanks! Galena11 14:24, 29 October 2007 (UTC)
The History Section
Why is the history section so long when it already refers to a main article?. I think it should be trimmed down to two or at most three paragraphs and something also should be done about those images. The are not serving any real purpose. 05:42, 10 February 2008 (UTC)
The climate section suffers from two problems - first of all, the average temperatures are completely incorrect, according to Climate Zoneand Weather Base - however, bizarrely enough, Weather Base is cited for the chart. Additionally, the graph (which has the correct temperatures) overlaps the incorrect figures - I'm not sure the article can be rearranged to fit it in as long as the chart is there. I'm changing the monthly chart to conform with the Weather Base numbers, and I'll leave the graph alone for now - perhaps someone else can find a way to fit it.
Featured article status
The article on many Indian cities like Delhi and Mumbai are featured articles. This article is good but not as good as the one on Delhi. However, if effort is made, it can reach FA status too. I will try make some improvements. --220.127.116.11 (talk) 08:34, 14 September 2008 (UTC)
Image copyright problem with File:100px-Pk-punj.PNG
The image File:100px-Pk-punj.PNG is used in this article under a claim of fair use, but it does not have an adequate explanation for why it meets the requirements for such images when used here. In particular, for each page the image is used on, it must have an explanation linking to that page which explains why it needs to be used on that page. Please check
- That there is a non-free use rationale on the image's description page for the use in this article.
- That this article is linked to from the image description page.
The following images also have this problem:
- Please expand the lead to conform with guidelines at Wikipedia:Lead. The article should have an appropriate number of paragraphs as is shown on WP:LEAD, and should adequately summarize the article.[?]
- Per Wikipedia:What is a featured article?, Images should have concise captions.[?]
- Avoid including galleries in articles, as per Wikipedia:Galleries. Common solutions to this problem include moving the gallery to wikicommons or integrating images with the text.[?]
- Per Wikipedia:Manual of Style (numbers), there should be a non-breaking space -
between a number and the unit of measurement. For example, instead of 404 km, use 404 km, which when you are editing the page, should look like: 404 km.[?]
- As per Wikipedia:Manual of Style (dates), dates shouldn't use th; for example, instead of (if such appeared in the article) using January 30th was a great day, use January 30 was a great day.[?]
- This article may need to undergo summary style, where a series of appropriate subpages are used. For example, if the article is United States, then an appropriate subpage would be History of the United States, such that a summary of the subpage exists on the mother article, while the subpage goes into more detail.[?]
- There are a few occurrences of weasel words in this article- please observe WP:AWT. Certain phrases should specify exactly who supports, considers, believes, etc., such a view.
- Please make the spelling of English words consistent with either American or British spelling, depending upon the subject of the article. Examples include: flavour (B) (American: flavor), fiber (A) (British: fibre), organize (A) (British: organise), organise (B) (American: organize), recognize (A) (British: recognise), isation (B) (American: ization), jewelry (A) (British: jewellery).
- Watch for redundancies that make the article too wordy instead of being crisp and concise. (You may wish to try Tony1's redundancy exercises.)
- Vague terms of size often are unnecessary and redundant - “some”, “a variety/number/majority of”, “several”, “a few”, “many”, “any”, and “all”. For example, “
Allpigs are pink, so we thought of a number ofways to turn them green.”
the year [of]1860”
- Vague terms of size often are unnecessary and redundant - “some”, “a variety/number/majority of”, “several”, “a few”, “many”, “any”, and “all”. For example, “
- As done in WP:FOOTNOTE, footnotes usually are located right after a punctuation mark (as recommended by the CMS, but not mandatory), such that there is no space in between. For example, the sun is larger than the moon . is usually written as the sun is larger than the moon.[?]
- Please ensure that the article has gone through a thorough copyediting so that it exemplifies some of Wikipedia's best work. See also User:Tony1/How to satisfy Criterion 1a.[?]
Huntthetroll comments: This is a beautiful article about a beautiful city, but it's not quite FA-quality yet. A few nitpicks, mostly about grammar and style because I only have a passing knowledge of Pakistan's history:
- The following sentence in the introduction needs to be re-written for clarity: "Mughal structures such as the Badshahi Mosque, Ali Hujwiri, Lahore Fort, Shalimar Gardens and the mausoleums of Jehangir, and Nur Jehan are popular tourist spots in the city." The multiple conjuctions and inclusion of scholar Ali Hujwiri as a "structure" could confuse some readers—I mean, you and I can tell, for instance, that the sentence is referring to Hujwiri's tomb rather than the man himself, but less astute readers might not.
- The next sentence states that some older structures in Lahore "still retain their Mughal-Gothic style." This piques my curiosity. What, exactly, is "Mughal-Gothic style"? Is it a kind of architecture? I can't tell from this sentence, or, for that matter, from the rest of the article—indeed, this is the only mention of Mughal-Gothic anything in the entire text. Perhaps a link or two would help, or maybe additional information in the body of the article.
- In the second introductory paragraph, the comments about linguistic change in Lahore and the nickname Lahori Punjabi could definitely use some citations.
- Throughout the article, there are quite a few glaring  tags that need to be addressed, especially in the History and Culture sections—which, come to think of it, might also benefit from being broken into subsections. The citations themselves could use some formatting; I tend to use templates from Wikipedia:Template_messages/Sources_of_articles#Citations_of_generic_sources when I have to format citations.
- There is also a light smattering of subtle grammatical errors throughout the article: missing definite articles, run-on sentences, random capitalization, random boldface, etc. I think some of it is just sneaky vandalism.
- Cleaned up the History section—still needs citations, subsections and POV-checking, though. Huntthetroll (talk) 18:07, 18 February 2009 (UTC)
- Organized the History section into subsections & organized images into a gallery so they don't mess up the formatting. Huntthetroll (talk) 18:46, 18 February 2009 (UTC)
- Also cleaned up geography & climate, civic administration & economy sections. Huntthetroll (talk) 19:39, 18 February 2009 (UTC)
- Finally, a big no-no: one of the citations refers to another Wikipedia article, the List of countries by GDP (PPP). We can't have Wikipedia articles citing other Wikipedia articles; otherwise the encyclopedia would tend to become a giant echo chamber, entirely divorced from anything resembling objective reality.
I can definitely help out with fixing the grammar and cleaning up the style, but the lack of citations worries me. I'm not sure I can help with that, as I suspect that I would have to sift through sources written in languages that I do not understand (like Punjabi and Urdu). All in all, though, this is a detailed and fascinating article with great FA potential. Keep up the good work representin' Pakistan on Wikipedia. Huntthetroll (talk) 16:58, 18 February 2009 (UTC)
Update: To be honest, this article needs a lot of work. It's full of dubious information, and often poorly written misinformation at that. However, it also contains a lot of useful, relevant and verifiable information. I think that you could greatly improve the article simply by finding more references, and double-checking what's already in the article against those references. Given the size of the article and the importance of its subject, it needs at least twice as many citations as it has. If you can fix that, this article will be much, much closer to being FA material. Huntthetroll (talk) 19:39, 18 February 2009 (UTC)
At the bottom of Article, In sister cities of Lahore section Tel Aviv (Israel) is mentioned. This is incorrect. Pakistan never had any relations with Israel. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Sydney2020 (talk • contribs) 10:00, 29 October 2009 (UTC)
Why Lahore written in Gurmukhi Script?
- The whole language Punjabi is not recognised in Pakistan. So we should remove it too?
Ayaz is connected with Lahore, please add the story of Ayaz again!
QadeemMusalman (talk) 17:38, 22 May 2010 (UTC)Ayaz was the slave of Mahmud of Ghazni, when Mahmud conquered Punjab, he made Lahore the capital of his Indian dominions. Moreover, he bestowed the Vilayat of Lahore on Ayaz, Ayaz's grave is also located in Lahore. So there is a connection!!!
The figures quoted for the various nationalities under demographics appear to bear no relation to the total population given in the 1998 census. For example, 6.8 million is not 80 per cent of 6.3 million. The citation given is not from a reliable source. If more reliable figures cannot be found, the numbers should be removed, leaving just the proportions. Skinsmoke (talk) 13:39, 1 June 2010 (UTC)
File:Daewoo Express.jpg Nominated for Deletion
|An image used in this article, File:Daewoo Express.jpg, has been nominated for deletion at Wikimedia Commons in the following category: Media without a source as of 3 November 2011
Don't panic; a discussion will now take place over on Commons about whether to remove the file. This gives you an opportunity to contest the deletion, although please review Commons guidelines before doing so.
File:Imran Khan Lifting World Cup for Pakistan in 1992.jpg Nominated for speedy Deletion
|An image used in this article, File:Imran Khan Lifting World Cup for Pakistan in 1992.jpg, has been nominated for speedy deletion at Wikimedia Commons for the following reason: Copyright violations
Don't panic; deletions can take a little longer at Commons than they do on Wikipedia. This gives you an opportunity to contest the deletion (although please review Commons guidelines before doing so). The best way to contest this form of deletion is by posting on the image talk page.
Map image breaches policy & has been removed
There is currently a deletion discussion taking place at Commons regarding File:Map on Dialects Of Punjabi Language.jpg, which can be viewed here. Regardless of whether the map image is deleted at Commons, I think that it needs to be removed from all English Wikipedia articles because it breaches our synthesis policy. The image creator has provided a long list of sources in the deletion discussion and it is evident from those that none contain all of the information shown in the image, nor is it a simple task to work out which bits of information were gleaned from which source(s). We simply do not permit people to aggregate information in this way. It should also be noted that the chances are very high that the various sources did not even adopt the same methodology in compiling their data, which makes the analysis of the creator even more suspect.
- Map was deleted on two reasons. 1... Commons deletion discussion but now Deletion request by Sitush has been rejected on Wikimedia Commons. 2... Sitush has a self perception that map is synthesis, which is actually not because it is based on latest research of 2007 in the Publication named 'The Indo-Aryan Languages' by George Cardona and Dhanesh Jain. So I am re inserting it. Unless Sitush prove it again as a synthesis and refer me the areas of map being synthesized also mentioning the different publications along with page numbers where from in his kind opinion I have synthesized the map.Maria0333 (talk) 08:25, 22 March 2013 (UTC)
Lahore - why not also in (native) Sanskrit script?! or (native) Punjabi Gurmukhi script?
If Lahore is such an ancient city, why is there no script showing the how Lahore would look like in Sanskrit? Some people might say it should be in Indian Punjabi, I believe it is called Gurumukhi Punjabi? Well from what I have come across is that there were more Hindus living in Lahore than Sikhs. Then the question is whether they wrote and spoke Punjabi or Hindi? Especially because Sir Ganga Ram, who as per the article, is attributed to much of Lahore's gorgeous architecture in the early 1900s. Also, should there even be Lahore written in the persianized script of Punjabi (Shahmukhi??) if it is not even recognized language in the province of Punjab, Pakistan? lilpiglet 09:07, 19 February 2014 (UTC)
There was a reference to Lahore being 8th largest city of Islamic countries which was removed by Lilpiglet, i want someone to look into this and restore that. There was a Vogue tower image added by Wanishahrukh which was also removed by her. I want someone to look into that as well, although i could have restored it myself since placing of that image by another user and then re-adding by me constitutes WP:CONSENSUS on Wikipedia: Manual of Style but i want to calm the situation and have somebody else play as mediator.
Regarding Urdu spelling of Lahore, at its current setting, it looks very odd since the link between "hey" and "wow" should extend a little more, it does not look aesthetically beautiful and i suggest small "hey" should be replaced with big "hey", the one with two eyes or however you describe it. Sajjad Altaf (talk) 19:54, 13 March 2014 (UTC)
- First of all, I am glad that you have begun address things in talk pages. However, I am busy at this moment and will respond by later on tonight or tomorrow. In the meantime, just a few things on from on top of my head, you can read Wikipedia:Polling is not a substitute for discussion and consensus buidling is WP:NOTDEMOCRACY. Another reason was because it does not belong in the intro of the article because it is not mentioned in the article as per WP:MOS and is not consistent WP:MOS#Link as none of the other cities of that organization also do not mention that in their intro (or even article at all), which makes sense due to WP:BETTER#STAYONTOPIC and WP:ISNOT. As for the pictures, have you seen the article? Until either you or someone else does not conform it to Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Images regretfully no matter how good the pictures will be, will be deleted when comparing it to other cities in featured content articles. Lastly, can you provide a source from reliable source the spelling of Lahore in Punjabi. Thanks lilpiglet 22:21, 13 March 2014 (UTC)
- (talk), I do agree that perhaps if you strongly believe List of largest cities in Organisation of Islamic Cooperation member countries needs to be included on the page, that's a great place to put the information. Now you must finish off what you started, which would be to have that mentioned on every city that is part of that organization ... that way it will help to build a consensus. When do you think you will have that done by? Furthermore I will be making other redundant deletions on the article as well as the picture (FYI: I am the one who put up the new display picture of the city as well as many other minor but significant details ... so I am not against you or Pakistanis, just updating information that is relevant to the international encyclopedia standards to make it eventually a featured article). lilpiglet 05:34, 14 March 2014 (UTC) — Preceding unsigned comment added by Lilpiglet (talk • contribs)
- This is no argument that if articles about other cities do not mention something then Lahore should not mention too and this is also not fair that one person keeps talking and the other person keeps doing her controverical edits. I will urge you to stop editing all those pages where controversy exists and start talking and come to a resolution before making anymore edits. In the meantime, i will be reverting all of your controvercial edits to the point from where you started making those and then let's start talking and come to a resolution before adding them again. Controvercial edits done by you should be removed first then both of us cease to edit, talk, resolve and then start editing. Sajjad Altaf (talk) 12:57, 14 March 2014 (UTC)
May 27 2014 Murder in front of courthouse
To not include a comment about the murder of a pregnant woman in front of the Lahore courthouse in the middle of the day by 20 family members is outrageous. While the content of the comment can be debated and edited, to completely ignore and hide this story which is being published by Reuters, Associated Press and virtually every major news outlet in the world, it throws a light on wikipedia as being selective in the information it shares. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 05:14, 28 May 2014 (UTC)
- This was a horrible crime and decent people are revolted by it. However:
An encyclopaedia is not a news sheet and should not try to record every crime committed. In this case the crime is apparently commonplace in Pakistan "Around 1,000 Pakistani women are killed every year by their families in honor killings, according to Pakistani rights group the Aurat Foundation." The crime is apparently accepted by the authorities (see the full text of the Reuters link provided by 22.214.171.124)
The crime is not specific to Lahore, so does not belong in this article An expanded version, showing the widespread nature of the crime and the culpability of the Pakistan authorities may perhaps belong in Culture of Pakistan. Apuldram (talk) 12:38, 28 May 2014 (UTC)