Te Manawa is hosted adjacent to the New Zealand Rugby Museum as part of the civic center, adjacent to The Square in Palmerston North, on land which was historically the railway station, before the trains were moved from the center of city to the west of the city. Some dozens of the holdings are contributed to NZMuseums, the combined catalog of museums across New Zealand.
Te Manawa's public spaces include permanent exhibits, local exhibits, touring exhibits, events and a shop. Te Manawa is highly ranked as a tourist attraction by both Trip Advisor and Lonely Planet. It was a finalist in the 2012 New Zealand museum awards.
- "Charities Register entry for Te Manawa Art Society Incorporated". register.charities.govt.nz. 2011. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "Te Manawa on NZMuseums". nzmuseums.co.nz. 2011. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "Dame Lynley Dodd exhibition at Te Manawa Palmerston North.". schools.natlib.govt.nz. 2011. Retrieved 21 December 2011. "Dame Lynley Dodd exhibition at Te Manawa Palmerston North."
- "Cultures bridged 'by the belly'". 2012. Retrieved 2 May 2012.
- "Te Manawa - Palmerston North". tripadvisor.com. 2011. Retrieved 21 December 2011. "Ranked #3 of 5 attractions in Palmerston North"
- "Te Manawa in Palmerston North, New Zealand". lonelyplanet.com. 2011. Retrieved 21 December 2011. "#5 of 36 things to do in Palmerston North"