|Born||Bruce Wallace Bibby
November 20, 1960
Dallas, Texas, U.S.
|Occupation||Gossip columnist, journalist|
Ted Casablanca (born Bruce Wallace Bibby; November 20, 1960) is an American entertainment journalist and gossip columnist. He had an E! Online column called The Awful Truth, which ran for sixteen years, ending in July 2012.
Casablanca began writing for Premiere magazine in 1987, where he originally conceived his gossip column "The Awful Truth" before transferring it to E! in 1996 as a weekly (later daily) column. He regularly presented it on E! Television and sometimes appeared as a correspondent and commentator for various E! Television events. As Bruce Bibby, he has written for a number of entertainment magazines and has been a contributor to the television magazine Hard Copy.
Television and Film Appearances
Casablanca has appeared on several television series, usually as a commentator, but he has also appeared as himself on Grosse Pointe and, most recently, in an episode of General Hospital in February 2007.
In 2006, he provided commentary alongside cast member Barbara Parkins for the special edition DVD of Valley of the Dolls. He also appeared in the featurette on the bonus DVD entitled, The Divine Ms. Susann. Casablanca has been a long-time fan of the film. The name "Ted Casablanca" was borrowed from a minor character from Valley of the Dolls.
Casablanca's birth date was found to have been November 20, 1960. According to Ancestry.com’s Texas Birth Index 1903-1997 Bruce Wallace Bibby was born November 20, 1960 in Dallas county Texas to Robert and Alice Wallace Bibby. Casablanca's alter ego also earned a degree in sculpture from the California Institute of the Arts before turning to journalism.
According to his own column, Casablanca married Jon Powell in Hawaii in May 2008. But on September 16, 2009, Casblanca announced that he and Powell had, after a separation, decided to end their union. Casablanca was also notably paired with actor Harvey Fierstein from 1987 to 1992.
- Casablanca, Ted (July 5, 2012). "Thank You". The Awful Truth. E! Online; retrieved July 6, 2012.
- "Ted Casablanca MIA in New E! Online Redesign". The Wrap. July 9, 2012.
- Ted Casablanca at the Internet Movie Database
- "In". Soap Opera Weekly. 2007-02-27. p. 5.
- Kroll, Gerry (20 August 1996), "The Naked Truth: Hollywood journalist Bruce Bibby — also known as gossip columnist Ted Casablanca — bares all", The Advocate: 79–80
- Casablanca, Ted (28 April 2008). "Psst List!". The Awful Truth. E! Online. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
I’m getting married in less than a week, [...] woo-friggin’-hoo!
- Casablanca, Ted (16 September 2009). "Morning Piss: Burning and Just Plain Sad". The Awful Truth. E! Online. Retrieved 16 September 2009.
- Kroll, Gerry (20 August 1996), "The Naked Truth: Hollywood journalist Bruce Bibby — also known as gossip columnist Ted Casablanca — bares all", The Advocate: 79,
But for Harvey Fierstein, Bibby's partner from 1987 to 1992, the difference between the two is clear. 'Bruce Bibby is a real person. Ted Casablanca is a son of a bitch. Bruce puts his worst ego in Ted.'