Teri Meri Kahaani
|Teri Meri Kahaani|
Teri Meri Kahaani Promotional Poster
|Directed by||Kunal Kohli|
|Produced by||Kunal Kohli
|Screenplay by||Robin Bhatt|
|Story by||Kunal Kohli|
|Editing by||Suresh Raina|
|Distributed by||Nadiawala Grandson Entertainment|
|Budget||300 million (US$4.6 million)|
Teri Meri Kahaani (English: Our Story) is a Hindi romance drama film directed by Kunal Kohli. The film stars Shahid Kapoor, opposite Priyanka Chopra in the lead roles, paired together for the second time after Kaminey. The tagline is "thrice upon a love story", as the premise is set between 1910, 1960, and 2012. Each actor plays a different character in each time period, but each character they play is linked to one another. The film was released on 22 June 2012 in 1500 screens across India. The theatrical trailer was revealed on 6 April 2012, along with Housefull 2 in cinemas.[dated info]
In 1960, an aspiring musician, Govind (Shahid Kapoor), meets Ruksar (Priyanka Chopra), a young woman who ran away from her home with her best friend to become a famous film star, on a train heading to Bombay, India. The two bond over their careers but part ways after arriving in Bombay. Govind befriends Mahi (Prachi Desai), a confident and modern girl. Ruksar meets Govind again and the two hit it off at a party. When Govind notices a photo journalist following him and Ruksar, he holds Mahi's hand to mislead him, unaware that Mahi has fallen in love with him. It is then revealed that Mahi is the best friend of Ruksar had ran away with, and the two tell each other about the man they've fallen in love with, not realising it is the same person. When Ruksar, Mahi and Govind all meet, the three realise what happened and brokenheartedly part ways.
In 2012, Kapoor is a college student named Krish,and Chopra is a college student named Radha. On his birthday, Krish breaks up with his girlfriend, Meera (Neha Sharma), and bumps into Radha. After a misunderstanding between the two is cleared, they become friends and spend the entire night travelling around the city. Krish and Radha text everyday, getting to know each other and falling in love. He goes to meet her to spend the day with her. When Meera learns that he is with Radha, she angrily uploads embarrassing photos of him on Facebook that instantly go viral. Radha learns Krish spent the night with her on his birthday only 2 hours after he broke up with Meera. Krish ignores Radha when she tries to talk to him about this, being too busy retaliating to Meera. Frustrated and heartbroken, Radha leaves.
The film rewinds to 1910 in Lahore during the times of the British Empire. Kapoor is Javed, a womanising villager with a talent for reciting poetry, and Chopra plays Aradhana, a young woman in the village. Javed and Aradhana become acquainted with each other, but when Aradhana realises his flirty nature, she becomes upset. Javed insists she is special and decides to put all his attention on her, allowing the two to bond. Javed joins Aradhana's father in a protest for freedom against the British, but when the officers begin to physically abuse the protestors, Javed hides while Aradhana's father is hit. Seeing this, Aradhana gets angry. To appease her, Javed gets himself beat and arrested in front of her. She visits him in jail and tells him their love cannot happen but he tells her to wait. 3 months later, Javed is freed but is informed that she got married a month ago. Aradhana tells Javed in tears that she only got married to make her father happy. Soon, it is the night of Javed's marriage, also for his father's happiness. Aradhana comes to the wedding to see him one last time. During the vows, Javed objects to the wedding and insists he wants to marry Aradhana only.
The actual ending of all 3 love stories is then shown: In 1960, Govind packs up and boards a train, intending to leave. However, he is followed by Ruksar and the two reconcile. In 2012, Krish calls Meera and Radha to his college one last time, and tells Meera that they might have been in love, but it's over now. He then professes his true love for Radha, and the two reconcile. In 1910, Javed and Aradhana are finally together, vowing that their love will not only last this lifetime but for all the lifetimes to come, revealing the main purpose of the film.
- Shahid Kapoor .... Govind / Javed / Krrish
- Priyanka Chopra ... Ruksar / Aradhana / Radha
- Prachi Desai ... Mahi
- Neha Sharma ... Meera
- Greg Heffernan ... Officer Green
- Omar Khan ... Mihir
Chinni Prakash has choreographed two songs for the film, while Ahmed Khan has choreographed one song. The music launch was earlier announced to be held on 15 May 2012, as confirmed by the films director, Kunal Kohli. However, it has been postponed to an unannounced date, although the soundtrack is expected to release in the week of 21 May 2012. The digital download version was released on 18 May 2012. The Tracklist comprises 5 original tracks along with 2 remixes. Singers such as Wajid, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Sonu Nigam, Sunidhi Chauhan, Shreya Ghoshal, Mika, Shabir Bro, Shaan have lent their voices for the album. The soundtrack of the film was launched officially on 28 May 2012 on the stage of Dance India Dance Li'l Masters.The music is composed by Sajid-Wajid,with lyrics penned by Prasoon Joshi.
|Teri Meri Kahaani|
|Soundtrack album by Sajid Wajid|
|Released||1 June 2012|
|Sajid Wajid chronology|
|2.||"Allah Jaane"||Rahat Fateh Ali Khan||05:25|
|3.||"Jabse Mere Dil Ko Uff"||Sonu Nigam & Sunidhi Chauhan||04:41|
|4.||"Humse Pyar Kar Le Tu"||Wajid, Mika Singh, Aftab Sabri, Hasim Sabri, Shabab Sabri & Shreya Ghoshal||05:43|
|5.||"That's All I Really Wanna Do"||Shaan & Shreya Ghoshal||03:59|
|6.||"Mukhtasar (Remix by DJ Suketu)"||Wajid||06:46|
|7.||"Humse Pyar Kar Le Tu (Remix by DJ Suketu)"||Wajid, Mika Singh, Shreya Ghoshal||04:51|
The soundtrack got positive reviews critics. Music expert Joginder Tuteja from Bollywood Hungama gave it 4 stars out of 5 and said: "The music of Teri Meri Kahaani is all set to be a very good success, especially so since it has melody at its base and stars like Shahid Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra to further accentuate its appeal. With aggressive promotion of the album further helping its cause, Sajid-Wajid and Prasoon Joshi can be rest assured that their music would reach out to the masses in a big way and find very good appreciation. A winner!" They cited 'Jabse Mere Dil Ko Uff', 'Mukhtasar', 'Humse Pyaar Kar Le Tu' and 'Allah Jaane' as their picks. Planet Bollywood stated: "Overall Sajid-Wajid do a good job composing tracks that moves through ten decades (almost) with Prasoon Joshi making every word count with his artistic skills. Listeners seeking something monumental or groundbreaking stuff (like in an Amit Trivedi venture) will leave empty handed as Sajid-Wajid sticks to their basic approach of catchy, easy on the ear music. "Mukhtasar", "Allah Jaane" and "Humse Pyar Kar Le Tu" will grab instant attention while "Jabse Mere Dil Ko Uff: has in it to be a rage if choreographed well and promoted aggressively. To conclude, a much better effort by Sajid-Wajid!" Rumnique Nannar of Bollyspice gave the soundtrack 3 out of 5 stars stating: "Teri Meri Kahaani is definitely one of the better albums by Sajid and Wajid where they prove their mettle outside of masala soundtracks. Yet the album is pleasing in the ears which means it's going on the strength of 3 good songs, along with the curiosity factor of Shahid and Priyanka on screen again. Give this one a try."
The film was released on 22 June 2012. The Red carpet premiere took place in London on 21 June 2012 at Cineworld Cinema, Feltham. UK based Canadian-French desi popstar Abbas Hasan performed at the London premiere event.
The film's official theatrcial trailer was released alongside Sajid Nadiadwala's Housefull 2, to a positive response. The films first song promo, Mukhtasar, was released on 2 May 2012, to a positive response from critics along with audiences. The lead pairs on-screen chemistry has often been praised. The song promo was aired on Television from 6 May 2012. Another song promo titled Humse Pyaar Kar Le Tu was launched on 8 May 2012. The films lead actor, Shahid Kapoor, along with the films director, Kunal Kohli, were seen promoting the film at 92.7 BIG FM. A third song promo, Jabse Mere Dil Ko Uff, was released online on 23 May 2012. The lead pair appeared on Extra Innings T20 just before the final round of 2012 Indian Premier League to promote the film on 27 May 2012. The soundtrack of the film was launched on 28 May 2012 by the actors and director on the stage of Dance India Dance Li'l Masters. The said episode will be telecast on 2 June 2012. Another song promo Allah Jaane was released on 31 May 2012. The second theatrical trailer was released on 2 June 2012 to a highly positive response. Another song promo, That's All I Really Wanna Do was released later to another positive response.
|The Times of India|
The film received mixed to positive reviews from critics. Shahid Kapoors performance was well received. Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama gave the film 3.5 out of 5 saying on the whole, TERI MERI KAHAANI is uncomplicated and charming. Sonia Chopra of Sify rated it three stars out of five and said "Teri Meri Kahaani holds your attention whether it's the writing, storytelling, or the technical aspect. It's a popcorn cruncher, but that's also fairly intelligent and hearty. Recommended if you're in the mood for a rom-com". Pankit Narang of Apunkachoice rated it 3 stars out of 5 stating: "Teri Meri Kahaani is without a doubt a well-acted and well-directed movie! We give it 3 stars out of 5 for offering a decent romantic Bollywood film after a drought! Go, relish being in love!" Business of Cinema rated it three stars out of five saying "Predictable, but beautifully told, 'Teri Meri Kahaani' is for die-hard romantics." Rummana Ahmed of Yahoo! Movies gave a positive review saying "Kunal Kohli's 'Teri Meri Kahaani' is a breezy romantic comedy which makes for an effortless watch." Sukanya Verma of Rediff gave 2.5 stars saying, "till the point the make-up doesn't wear off, Teri Meri Kahaani is a far better film than I came to see." Rajeev Masand of CNN IBN Live rated it 2/5 saying "Teri Meri Kahaani feels soulless, superficial." Anupama Chopra of Hindustan Times gave 2 stars and said "Teri Meri Kahaani is a banal romance that wants to cover all bases". Saibal Chatterjee of NDTV gave the film 2 stars out of 5 finding the film "soulless".
Teri Meri Kahaani did well at the box office in the first week,but lost some significant screen space in its second week
The film opened to a response of 30%. The film opened averagely in the Delhi area. Teri Meri Kahaani collected 52.3 million (US$800,000) nett approx on day one. Teri Meri Kahaani collected 55 million (US$840,000) nett approx over its first weekend. The film ended its theatrical run at around 230 million.
According to early trends the overseas collection of Teri Meri Kahaani on day one was estimated to be 22.0 million (US$340,000) nett. The three-day overseas total was around 70 million (US$1.1 million) nett taking the world wide collection to 235 million (US$3.6 million). Teri Meri Kahaani has fared well in the international arena. Teri Meri Kahaani then finished with "average" business overseas of around 147.3 million (US$2.3 million), thus becoming a moderate success
The film released on home media on 28 August 2012.The DVD release is priced at Rs. 299/-.The DVD comes with no bonus features.
- "Teri Meri Kahani". movies.sulekha.com.
- Will 'Gangs of Wasseypur' overshadow 'Teri Meri Kahaani'? IBN Live (20 June 2012)
- Malik, Sunny (30 July 2011). "Exclusive: Teri Meri Kahani in England … !". Bolly Spice. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- Teri Meri Kahaani And Gangs Of Wasseypur Struggle On Day One. Boxofficeindia.com (22 June 2012). Retrieved on 11 July 2012.
- Why did Ahmed Khan choose Ranbir over Shahid? Times of India (9 April 2012). Retrieved on 11 July 2012.
- "Teri Meri Kahaani: Music Review". Bollywood Hungama.
- Saraf, Mitesh. "Music Review of Teri Meri Kahaani". PlanetBollywood.com.
- "Music of Teri Meri Kahaani". bollyspice.com.
- "Times of India: Abbas Hasan’s single stars Humaima Malick". Times of India. 20 February 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "Biz Asia: Abbas Hasan shoots video with Humaima Malick". BizAsia. 25 February 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "Digital Spy: Abbas Hasan shoots new music video with Humaima Malick". Digital Spy. 23 February 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "Asian Image: Abbas Hasan's new video stars Humaima Malick". Asian Image. 20 February 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- Narang, Pankit. (3 May 2012) Watch: Shahid Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra's sizzling chemistry in 'Mukhtasar' from 'Teri Meri Kahaani' | Priyanka Chopra | Shahid Kapoor | Teri Meri Kahaani. ApunKaChoice.com. Retrieved on 11 July 2012.
- Teri Meri Kahaani (2012) | Hindi Movie Critic Review By Taran Adarsh. Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved on 15 September 2013.
- Movie Review:Teri Meri Kahaani review: A fun and hearty flick!. Sify.com. Retrieved on 11 July 2012.
- Narang, Pankit. (22 June 2012) movie_review_teri_meri_kahaani_takes_you_on_a_lovable_ride/ Movie Review: 'Teri Meri Kahaani' takes you on a lovable ride | Shahid Kapoor | Priyanka Chopra | Prachi Desai. ApunKaChoice.com. Retrieved on 11 July 2012.
- Samira Pillai (22 June 2012). Review: Teri Meri Kahaani. Businessofcinema.com. Retrieved on 11 July 2012.
- Ahmed, Rummana. (22 June 2012) Review: Teri Meri Kahaani | Movie Reviews – Yahoo! Movies India. In.movies.yahoo.com. Retrieved on 11 July 2012.
- Review: Teri Meri Kahaani is charming – Rediff.com Movies. Rediff.com (22 June 2012). Retrieved on 11 July 2012.
- Masand: 'Teri Meri Kahaani' feels soulless, superficial. http://ibnlive.in.com (22 June 2012). Retrieved on 11 July 2012.
- Teri Meri Kahaani movie review. www.hindustantimes.com (22 June 2012). Retrieved on 11 July 2012.
- Review: Teri Meri Kahaani. Movies.ndtv.com (22 June 2012). Retrieved on 11 July 2012.
- Boxofficeindia.com. Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved on 15 September 2013.
- Teri Meri Kahaani Opens upto the Mark. Boxofficeindia.com (22 June 2012). Retrieved on 11 July 2012.
- "Teri Meri Kahaani First Day Territorial Breakdown". 23 June 2012.
- "Teri Meri Kahaani Weekend Territorial Breakdown". 25 June 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Teri Meri Kahaani.|