Terror in a Texas Town
|Terror in a Texas Town|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Joseph Lewis|
|Produced by||John Seltzer|
|Written by||Dalton Trumbo|
|Music by||Gerald Fried|
|Edited by||Stefan Arnsten|
|Distributed by||United Artists|
The script of Terror in a Texas Town was written by Dalton Trumbo one of the infamous "Hollywood Ten" who was blacklisted during the McCarthy-era witch hunts of the late forties and early fifties. Due to Trumbo's status on the Hollywood Blacklist, Ben Perry initially received screenwriting credit.
Director Lewis was set to retire when his friend, the actor Nedrick Young, handed him the script. Young had been blacklisted and this picture was his chance to get back into the business. Excited by the script, Lewis agreed to do it because he had nothing to fear from working with blacklisted artists as this was going to be his last film anyway.
The wealthy McNeil wants to control Prairie City and the land around it. He tries to burn out small ranchers and then hires gunfighter Johnny Crale to run them off.
Sven Hansen learns from neighbor Jose Mirada that there is oil on his land. Sven stands up to Crale, his only weapon a harpoon from his past as a whaling fisherman, and Crale shoots him dead.
The dead man's son, George Hansen, arrives in town and finds out that his father has died, but isn't sure how. The sheriff is in McNeil's pocket and unwilling to help. George tries talking to Molly, the wife of Crale, but ends up beaten unconscious and dumped on a train leaving town.
Mirada is the next one gunned down by Crale, but his courage impresses the killer, who in a fit of rage shoots McNeil, the man who hired him. George Hansen returns to town for a showdown and is wounded before getting the better of Crale with his father's harpoon.
- Sterling Hayden as George Hansen
- Sebastian Cabot as McNeil
- Carol Kelly as Molly
- Eugene Mazzola as Pepe Mirada
- Nedrick Young as Johnny Crale
- Victor Millan as Jose Mirada
- Frank Ferguson as Deacon Matt Holmes
- Marilee Earle as Mona Stacey
- Hank Patterson as Brady
- Ted Stanhope as Sven Hansen
- Sheb Wooley as Baxter
- Tyler McVey as Sheriff Stoner
- Glenn Strange as Train Passenger
- "Terror in a Texas Town film article at". tcm.com. Retrieved 2014-08-24.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Terror in a Texas Town.|
- Terror in a Texas Town at the Internet Movie Database
- Terror in a Texas Town at AllMovie
- Terror in a Texas Town at the TCM Movie Database
- Terror in a Texas Town at the American Film Institute Catalog
|This 1950s Western film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|