The American Naturalist
|The American Naturalist|
|Abbreviated title (ISO 4)||Am. Nat.|
|Discipline||Ecology, evolution, population biology|
|Edited by||Mark A. McPeek|
|Publisher||University of Chicago Press on behalf of the American Society of Naturalists (United States)|
The American Naturalist is a monthly peer-reviewed scientific journal that was established in 1867. It is published by the University of Chicago Press on behalf of the American Society of Naturalists. The journal covers research in ecology, evolutionary biology, population, and integrative biology. As of 2009[update], the editor-in-chief is Mark McPeek. According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2011 impact factor of 4.736, ranking it 21th out of 131 journals in the category "Ecology" and 10th out of 45 journals in the category "Evolutionary Biology".
History of The American Naturalist 
The journal was founded by Alpheus Hyatt, Edward S. Morse, Alpheus S. Packard Jr., and Frederick W. Putnam in 1866 at the Essex Institute in Salem, Massachusetts; the first issue appeared in print in 1867. In 1878 the journal was for sale and Edward Cope bought half the rights. He moved the journal to Philadelphia and arranged to edit it jointly with Professor Alpheus S. Packard Jr. Cope became editor-in-chief in 1887 and continued in that capacity until his death in 1897. In 1897, a group of professors from M.I.T., Harvard, and Tufts bought the rights from the Cope estate and kept the journal in publication until 1907 when J. McKeen Cattell acquired control.
- Journals Ranked by Impact: Ecology. "2011 Journal Citation Reports". Web of Science (Science ed.) (Thomson Reuters). 2012.
- Journals Ranked by Impact: Evolutionary Biology. "2011 Journal Citation Reports". Web of Science (Science ed.) (Thomson Reuters). 2012.
- Dunn, L. C. (Sept.-Oct. 1966). "The American Naturalist in American Biology". The American Naturalist 100 (915): 481–492.
- National Academy of Sciences Biographical Memoir of Edward Drinker Cope
- Conklin, Edwin G. (1943). "The Early History of The American Naturalist". The American Naturalist 78 (774): 29–37.
- Official website
- Archive Records of the American Society of Naturalists (1884) containing out of copyright issues of the American Naturalist and other records of the society