The Atomic Bitchwax
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014)|
|The Atomic Bitchwax|
The Atomic Bitchwax live 2013
|Origin||Neptune, New Jersey, United States|
|Genres||Heavy metal, hard rock, stoner rock, psychedelic rock|
|Labels||Tee Pee, MeteorCity|
|Associated acts||Monster Magnet, Godspeed, Solace, Core, Raging Slab, Black NASA|
|Past members||Ed Mundell
The Atomic Bitchwax is an American rock band from Long Branch N.J. formed in 1993 by bassist/vocalist Chris Kosnik, guitarist Ed Mundell and drummer Keith Ackerman. Atomic Bitchwax mixes elements of 60s psychedelic rock and 70s riff rock, filtered though modern progressive rock. Their music has appeared in popular TV shows including Jackass, Home Wrecker and various Fox Sports broadcasts.
The group originated as a jam band playing local bars in the New Jersey and New York area. This lineup released two full length records, the self-titled debut in 1999, and Atomic Bitchwax 2 in 2000 via Tee-Pee Records. In addition, they released the Spit Blood EP in 2002 via the Meteor City Label.
Shortly after, the very established Monster Magnet was touring and recording extensively, leaving little time for Atomic Bitchwax to write a proper third album. As a result, Ed left Atomic Bitchwax in late 2004. Ed was replaced in 2005 by guitarist/vocalist Finn Ryan (formerly of Core). The band focused on writing and touring for a year before entering Trax East Studios in South River, New Jersey to record their follow up, aptly titled 3. The 2005 release included two European and North American tours, along with a visit to Seattle's "Sound House" to record the 2006 EP, Boxriff. Engineered by Jack Endino, the EP included a DVD of live show filmed in Seattle's Sunset Tavern. At the end of 2006, Keith Ackerman left the band for unknown reasons.
Current Monster Magnet drummer Bob Pantella joined the band in 2007, and Atomic Bitchwax commenced more touring. The year concluded with the recording and release of the full-length album 4 on Teepee and Meteor City. In 2011, the band released The Local Fuzz, one 42 minute track with over 50 riffs back-to-back. The band spent 2012-2013 touring Australia, New Zealand, England, Germany, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, the Netherlands, Italy, Switzerland, Austria and North America.
The band will release Gravitron on April 21, 2015.
- Chris Kosnik - bass, vocals -currently of Monster Magnet (formerly of Godspeed and Black NASA)
- Bob Pantella - drums, percussion - formerly of Raging Slab, currently of Monster Magnet (and Riotgod)
- Finn Ryan - guitar, vocals - (formerly of Core)
- Atomic Bitchwax I CD/LP (1999 MIA Records/Tee Pee Records)
- Atomic Bitchwax II CD/LP (2000 Tee Pee Records)
- 3 CD (2005 MeteorCity)
- TAB 4 CD/LP (2008 MeteorCity)
- The Local Fuzz CD/LP (2011 Tee Pee Records)
- "Hey Alright" on Welcome to Meteor City (1999 MeteorCity Records)
- "Combination" on Right in the Nuts: A Tribute to Aerosmith (2000 Small Stone Records)
- "Kiss the Sun" on Doomed (2000 This Dark Reign Records)
- "Liquor Queen" on The Mighty Desert Rock Avengers (2002 People Like You Records)
- "Hey Alright" on Guerrilla Jukebox Vol 1 (2003 Tee Pee Records)
- "STD" & "The Destroyer" on ...And Back to Earth Again (2007 MeteorCity Records)