The Night the Prowler
|The Night the Prowler|
|Directed by||Jim Sharman|
|Produced by||Anthony Buckley|
|Written by||Patrick White|
|Music by||Cameron Allan|
|Edited by||Sara Bennett|
New South Wales Film Corporation
|Distributed by||International Harmony (US)|
|2 June 1978
(Sydney Film Festival)|
15 June 1979 (Australia)
The Night the Prowler (aka. Patrick White's The Night the Prowler) is a 1978 Australian film produced by Anthony Buckley and directed by Jim Sharman and written by Patrick White. Ruth Cracknell was nominated in 1979 for an AFI Award for Best Actress in a Lead Role for her part.
Paul Byrnes from Australian screen described:
The film is a savage satire on the neuroses of the privileged of Sydney’s eastern suburbs, where White lived, and the director Jim Sharman grew up. Much of the satire verges on invective, and the film was criticised for being ponderous, pretentious and condescending. Parts of it are like that – especially some of the dialogue – but the film also has some moments where everything works.
- Ruth Cracknell as Doris Bannister
- John Frawlwy as Humphrey Bannister
- Kerry Walker as Felicity Bannister
- John Derum as John
- Maggie Kirkpatrick as Madge Hopkirk
- Terry Camilleri as The Prowler
- Harry Neilson as Old man
Sharman had worked successfully with White directing the latter's play Season at Sarsaparilla. While doing that White suggested thought his book The Night the Prowler might make a film; Sharman agreed and White wrote a screenplay.
The film was shot in November and December 1977.
- David Stratton, The Last New Wave: The Australian Film Revival, Angus & Robertson, 1980 p167-169
- The Angus & Robertson Concise Australian Encyclopedaedia. North Ryde, Sydney, Australia: Angus & Robertson. 1983, second revision 1986. p. 505. ISBN 0-207-15305-1. Check date values in:
- IMDb awards
- The Night the Prowler at the Australian screen
- Robyn Anderson & Sue Adler, "Jim Sharman", Cinema Papers, March–April 1979 p270
- Anna Dzenis, "Patrick White's the Night the Prowler", Australian Film 1978-1992, Oxford Uni Press 1993 p46
- Murray, Scott; (ed.) (1994). Australian Cinema. St.Leonards, NSW.: Allen & Unwin/AFC. ISBN 1-86373-311-6.
|This article related to an Australian film of the 1970s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a comedy-drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|