The Prayer of Jabez
The Prayer of Jabez: Breaking Through to the Blessed Life is a book Bruce Wilkinson published in 2000 by Multnomah Books as the first book in the "BreakThrough" book series. It is based on the Old Testament passage 1 Chronicles 4:9-10
- Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez, saying, "I gave birth to him in pain." Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, saying, "Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from the evil one." And God granted his request. (NIV)
In the book, Wilkinson encourages Christians to invoke this prayer for themselves on a daily basis:
- I challenge you to make the Jabez prayer for blessing part of the daily fabric of your life. To do that, I encourage you to follow unwaveringly the plan outlined here for the next thirty days. By the end of that time, you'll be noticing significant changes in your life, and the prayer will be on its way to becoming a treasured, lifelong habit.
The book became an international bestseller, topping the New York Times bestseller list and selling nine million copies. It received the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association Gold Medallion Book of the Year award in 2001.
The popularity of the original book has led its publisher, Multnomah Press, to extend the line to a number of derivative works targeted at niche audiences, as well as to offer the books in audio and video formats. They also authorized a wide array of official "Prayer of Jabez" merchandise including key chains, mugs, backpacks, Christmas ornaments, scented candles, mouse pads and a framed artist's conception of Jabez himself. A line of jewelry was introduced in 2002.
- Three versions rewritten for children, one each targeted at preschoolers, 8-12 year olds and teens
- The Prayer of Jabez Journal
- The Prayer of Jabez Devotional (one edition for children, one for adults)
- The Prayer of Jabez Bible Study
- The Prayer of Jabez for Women written by Wilkinson's wife, Darlene
- a musical companion, The Prayer of Jabez Music ... A Worship Experience (ForeFront Records)
- The Healing of Jabez by John W. Mauck ('Credo House Publishers, ISBN 978-1-935391-29-6) was published in 2009.
Jabez has been compared to the "prosperity gospel" and has received the reproaches often addressed toward that doctrine, e.g. that the Jabez prayer suggests that God ought to do what man wants, instead of man following God's will. Some have taken issue with the form of the prayer, citing Jesus' admonition against "vain repetitions" in Matthew 6:7-9. The commercialization of Jabez has also attracted criticism.
The Mantra of Jabez : A Christian Parody by Douglas M. Jones (Canon Press, ISBN 1-885767-88-9) was published in 2001.
- New York Times Best Seller List
- 'Jabez' Enlarges Multnomah's 'Territory' at Publishers Weekly
- What's in a name? Jabez Jewelz at St. Louis Business Journal.
- In Defense of 'Jabez,' First Things, October 2001.
- Critical reviews of Jabez
- A theological critique of Jabez
- Review of the theological implications of the book by the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
- Van Biema, David, "A Prayer with Wings", Time magazine