The Squeeze (1977 film)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
|Directed by||Michael Apted|
|Produced by||Stanley O'Toole|
|Screenplay by||Leon Griffiths|
|Based on||Whose Little Girl Are You?
by James Tucker
|Music by||David Hentschel|
|Cinematography||Dennis C. Lewiston|
|Edited by||John Shirley|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
The Squeeze is a 1977 British gangster thriller, directed by Michael Apted, based on a novel by Bill James (under the pseudonym, "David Craig"). The screenplay was written by Minder creator Leon Griffiths.
Largely neglected, this production headlines a major cast made up of American actor Stacy Keach, and British actors Edward Fox and David Hemmings. Irish actor Stephen Boyd was also featured in a major (and final) role as a gangster.
To create realism in the film, the producers of The Squeeze enlisted an ex-gangster called Bob Ramsey to act as a contact between the film unit and the local underworld in order to cut down on harassment and keep everybody unharmed and happy. This was due to location shooting taking place in rather undesirable areas where the criminals were.
Local people in the area were hired as extras.
The Squeeze is now considered a forgotten crime masterpiece that usually gets mentioned in books on British cinema of the 1970s but usually gets overlooked in the light of Get Carter (1971) & The Long Good Friday (1981).
On its release tabloid paper The News of The World called The Squeeze, "A nail-biting thriller...".
- Stacy Keach .... Jim Naboth
- David Hemmings .... Keith
- Edward Fox .... Foreman
- Stephen Boyd .... Vic
- Carol White .... Jill
- Freddie Starr .... Teddy
- Hilary Gasson .... Barbara
- Rod Beacham .... Dr. Jenkins
- Stewart Harwood .... Des
- Alan Ford .... Taff
- Roy Marsden .... Barry
- Leon Greene .... Commissionaire
- Lucinda Duckett .... Sharon
- Alison Portes .... Christine
- Marjie Lawrence .... Beryl
- The Writers of Wales Database: Bill James. Accessed 27 August 2014
- The Squeeze at the Internet Movie Database
- Ninnis, John (21 March 2013). "The Squeeze Film Release: March 20th 1977, Film Review, Magazine ad,,Video Covers & Trailer".