The Story of Luke
|The Story Of Luke|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Alonso Mayo|
|Produced by||Julien Favre
|Written by||Alonso Mayo|
|Starring||Lou Taylor Pucci
|Music by||Mateo Messina|
|Edited by||Vikash Patel|
|Distributed by||Gravitas Ventures|
The Story Of Luke is a 2012 American comedy-drama film written and directed by Alonso Mayo. It is Mayo's first feature-length film and tells the story of Luke, a young man with autism who embarks on a quest for a job and a girlfriend. It stars Lou Taylor Pucci, Seth Green, Cary Elwes and Kristin Bauer.
Abandoned as a child by his mother because of his autism, Luke was raised by his grandparents who offered him a loving but sheltered upbringing. When his grandmother suddenly dies, Luke, now 25, and his senile grandpa Jonas are forced to move in with "the relatives": uncle Paul, aunt Cindy and cousins Brad and Megan. The adjustment is difficult for everybody and grandpa Jonas is soon moved to a nursing home, not before leaving Luke with his final coherent words: “Get a job. Find a girl. Live your own life. Be a man!” Although his dysfunctional relatives don't know what to do with him, Luke now has a mission.
Easier said than done since Luke knows nothing about the world outside of his grandparent's home. With help from his youngest cousin Megan, and aided by his freakishly good cooking skills, Luke sets off on a quest that takes him all around the city visiting temp agencies and special-needs service centers. Finally Luke lands a training opportunity at a large company. But his quest is only just about to begin as he now finds himself at the mercy of Zack, the antisocial loudmouth owner's son who gets a kick out of making Luke's life miserable, but who also understands him in a way no one else does, and who holds the key to his future.
- Lou Taylor Pucci as Luke
- Seth Green as Zack
- Cary Elwes as Paul
- Kristin Bauer as Cindy
- Kenneth Welsh as Jonas
- Tyler Stentiford as Brad
- Mackenzie Munro as Megan
- Sabryn Rock as Maria
- Lisa Ryder as Sara
- Dewshane Williams as Sam
- Art Hindle as Mr. Nichols
- Zoë Belkin as Charlene
- Michael Kinney as Counselor Bobby
- John Boylan as Mr. Harrison
The film was inspired by director Alonso Mayo's experiences at Centro Ann Sullivan del Perú. While finishing his undergrad studies in film and journalism in Peru, Mayo helped produced a series of training videos for creating supported employment programs and met many men and women with autism and other developmental disabilities. Later, while writing the screenplay for The Story of Luke, Mayo returned to Centro Ann Sullivan del Perú on a research trip and shot the documentary Just Like Anyone.
The Story Of Luke was produced by DViant Films and Fluid Film. Filming took place in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada in 23 days in August and September 2011. To prepare for the role of Luke, Lou Taylor Pucci spent time with young men with autism and Asperger syndrome in Sault Ste. Marie.
The Story Of Luke premiered at the 2012 San Diego Film Festival, where it won Best Film. It has gone on to win over 20 film festival awards including Best Film at San Antonio Film Festival, Garden State Film Festival and San Luis Obispo International Film Festival. It was released theatrically and on demand in the United States and Canada on April 5, 2013 by Gravitas Ventures. It was released on DVD on August 6, 2013.
Autism community reception
The Story of Luke received positive reviews from the autism community, especially for Lou Taylor Pucci's portrayal of an autistic man. Psychology Today columnist and autism advocate Chantal Sicile-Kira wrote, "Most parents of youths with autism will find this movie uplifting and encouraging—we all hope and wish our youths will be successful in finding employment and someone to love… Lou Taylor Pucci's portrayal of Luke is spot on. His manners, gestures and tone of voice feel authentic."
The film also received the endorsement of advocacy organization Autism Speaks. Leslie Long, Director of Housing and Adult Services wrote, "Luke transforms the people around him that were under the assumption they would be caring for him. This is not unique but not often discussed either. Most people have not had the pleasure of really knowing someone with autism in all facets of their lives so they miss the nuances of their humor or the effortless ways they tell the whole truth."
The Story of Luke garnered mostly positive reviews from film critics. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gives the film an 80% approval rating based on 5 reviews.
Mark Olsen of the Los Angeles Times wrote, "Mayo's script avoids turning Luke into some wise holy fool, allowing him to make missteps along the way... "The Story of Luke" is not a saga of epic proportions, but with a huge assist from Pucci’s layered performance, takes a premise that could easily be movie-of-the-week sappy and finds a humanizing lightness."
Daniel M. Gold of The New York Times wrote, "Mr. Pucci (“Thumbsucker,” “The Music Never Stopped”) gives a thoughtful and nuanced performance but gets few favors from the script, which puts him front and center in almost every scene… the film serves as a modest reminder that the challenges of autism may sometimes be no more daunting or fearsome than those that face anyone in search of an independent life."
In a more mixed review, Chuck Wilson of The Village Voice called it "a charming little film in need of a bit more grit… Luke faces challenges, to be sure, both within himself and out in the world, but even the meanies at the office are only sitcom-mean. In the end, Luke's path to self-empowerment is funny and sweet and a little too easy."
|Award||Date of ceremony||Category||Recipients and nominees||Result|
|San Diego Film Festival ||September 29, 2012||Best Film||The Story of Luke||Won|
|Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival ||November 14, 2012||Audience Award for Best American Indie||The Story of Luke||Won|
|Bahamas International Film Festival ||December 9, 2012||Audience Award for Best Narrative||The Story of Luke||Won|
|Irvine International Film Festival ||January 21, 2013||Best Feature Narrative||The Story of Luke||Won|
|Best 1st Time Director||Alonso Mayo||Won|
|Best Actor||Lou Taylor Pucci||Won|
|Best Trailer||The Story of Luke||Won|
|The Saint Augustine Film Festival ||January 25, 2013||People’s Choice Award for Best Film||The Story of Luke||Won|
|San Francisco IndieFest ||February 22, 2013||Audience Award for Best Narrative Feature||The Story of Luke||Won|
|Festivus film festival ||February 23, 2013||Best Narrative Feature||The Story of Luke||Won|
|San Luis Obispo International Film Festival ||March 9, 2013||Best Narrative Feature||The Story of Luke||Won|
|Audience Award for Best Narrative Film||The Story of Luke||Won|
|Omaha Film Festival ||March 12, 2013||Audience Choice Award for Best Feature Film||The Story of Luke||Won|
|Green Bay Film Festival ||March 14, 2013||Film Lovers Choice Award||The Story of Luke||Won|
|Best Screenplay||Alonso Mayo||Won|
|Phoenix Film Festival ||April 8, 2013||Special Jury Prize||Lou Taylor Pucci||Won|
|Garden State Film Festival ||April 8, 2013||Best Narrative Feature||The Story of Luke||Won|
|Sunscreen Film Festival ||April 23, 2013||Best Film||The Story of Luke||Won|
|Arizona International Film Festival ||April 28, 2013||Special Jury Award for Best Performance||Lou Taylor Pucci||Won|
|San Antonio Film Festival ||June 24, 2013||Grand Prize for Best Film||The Story of Luke||Won|
|Cinéfest Sudbury International Film Festival ||September 23, 2013||Best Northern Ontario Feature Film||The Story of Luke||Won|
- "Seth Green On ‘The Story of Luke,’ Autism, ‘Star Wars’ & More". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Seth Green and Lou Taylor Pucci Talk The Story of Luke". MovieWeb. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "Autism Gets Hollywood Treatment In ‘Story Of Luke’". Disability Scoop. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- "Life story: Lawrence native’s film opens across U.S.". Lawrence Journal-World. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- "Alonso Mayo realizes filmmaking dream". The Herald-Mail. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- Ng, Philiana (17 August 2011). "Seth Green to Star Opposite Lou Taylor Pucci in 'The Story of Luke'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- "Luke tells his story at Shadows". The Sault Star. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- "Cinefest: Story inspired by students in Peru". Sudbury Star. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- "THE STORY OF LUKE TAKES TOP PRIZE AT SAN DIEGO FILM FESTIVAL". UT San Diego. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "The 2013 SAFILM-San Antonio Film Festival:and the winner is ...". La Prensa San Antonio. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- "Garden State Film Festival 2013 winners". Asbury Park Press. Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- "2013 Film Competition Award Winners". San Luis Obispo Film Festival. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- "A light hearted view of autism, "The Story of Luke" hits theaters and iTunes today". SFGate. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "‘The Story of Luke’ Team Goes for the Humor". Variety. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "The Story of Luke". VideoETA. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "The Story of Luke – The autism movie you have to see". Autism from a Father's Point of View. Retrieved 13 March 2013.
- ""The Story of Luke" breaks the Hollywood mold". Easter Seals Disability Services. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- "The Story of Luke". Autism Wonderland. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- "Autism at the Movies: The Story of Luke". The Autism Channel. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "The Story of Luke comes to Autism Live: Lou Pucci". Center for Autism and Related Disorders. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- "Coming of Age: The Story of Luke". Psychology Today. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "The Story of Luke". Autism Speaks. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "The Story Of Luke (2013)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- Olsen, Mark (4 April 2013). "Review: A humanizing lightness in 'The Story of Luke'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- Gold, Daniel M. (4 April 2013). "Young Man’s Wobbly Steps to Independence". The New York Times. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- "The Story of Luke Could Use More Grit". The Village Voice. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- "Past Award Winners". San Diego Film Festival. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "2012 San Diego Film Festival Announces Awards". Sandiegoville. Retrieved 4 Oct 2012.
- "Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival". The Promenade. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "BIFF 2012 Competition Winners Announced". Bahamas International Film Festival. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "IRVINE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL ANNOUNCES 2013 WINNERS". Irvine International Film Festival. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "The Saint Augustine Film Festival". The Saint Augustine Film Festival. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "Congratulations to this year’s Award Winners!". San Francisco Indiefest. Retrieved 22 February 2013.
- "This year's Best Narrative Feature". Festivus Film Festival. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "2013 Film Competition Award Winners". San Luis Obispo International Film Festival. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "Arts news and notes: Omaha Film Fest hands out awards". Omaha.com. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "And the 2013 Winners are…". Green Bay Film Festival. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "Winners & Happenings at the 2013 Phoenix Film Festival!". Phoenix Film Festival. 7 April 2013. Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- "GSFF 2013 Winners". Garden State Film Festival. 7 April 2013. Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- "2013 Award Winners (8th Annual Fest, April 18-21)". Sunscreen Film Festival. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- "2013 Arizona International Film Festival Best of Category". Arizona International Film Festival. 28 April 2013. Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- "The Story of Luke Wins 2013 SAFILM Grand Prize!". San Antonio Film Festival. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "Gabrielle tabbed top Canadian feature at Cinefest Sudbury". The Sudbury Star. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- Official website
- The Story Of Luke at the Internet Movie Database
- The Story Of Luke at AllMovie
- The Story Of Luke at Rotten Tomatoes
- The Story of Luke on Facebook