The Weather Prophets
|The Weather Prophets|
|Associated acts||The Loft|
|Past members||Peter Astor
Following the breakup of The Loft, Peter Astor (vocals, guitar) and Dave Morgan (drums) formed The Weather Prophets (named after a line in the opening paragraph of Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer) in 1986. An early incarnation saw Creation Records head-honcho Alan McGee playing bass, but he soon reverted to manager as new members David Greenwood Goulding (bass) and Oisin Little (guitar) were recruited to complete the line up.
The debut single, "Almost Prayed" (Creation, 1986), seemed to carry on where The Loft had left off; consequently both interest and critical approval were high for the record, and a second single was issued on Creation that same year.
After a German mini-album, for the release of their debut album proper, McGee had successfully managed to sign the band to Elevation Records - the WEA subsidiary with which he was associated. Expectations were high when the Lenny Kaye-produced Mayflower appeared in 1987, but the album was greeted with a mixed response by the critics and the band were eventually dropped from the label.
All was not lost, however, as they eventually returned to Creation for a further album, Judges, Juries and Horsemen in 1988. By this time, Oisin Little had departed, and interest in the band had waned. A final single, "Always the Light", was issued before the band decided to split up.
After the split
An odds'n'ends compilation, Temperance Hotel, was released by Creation in 1989, with '87 Live appearing in 1991. Blue Skies & Freerides – The Best of 1986-1989 was issued by Cherry Red in 2004.
- Diesel River (Creation/Rough Trade RTD/CRE CD 2-40, 1986 - German Import)
- Mayflower (Elevation ELV1, May 1987) (UK #67)
- Judges, Juries and Horsemen (Creation CRELP033, 1988)
- Temperance Hotel (Creation CRE50, 1989)
- Blue Skies & Freerides – The Best of 1986-1989 (Cherry Red CDM RED 251, 2004)
- '87 Live (Creation CRELP 085, 1991)
- "Almost Prayed" (Creation CRE029, June 1986)
- "Naked as the Day You Were Born" (Creation CRE031, October 1986)
- "She Comes from the Rain" (Elevation ACID1, March 1987) (UK #62)
- "Why Does the Rain" (Elevation ACID2, 1987)
- "Hollow Heart" (Creation CRE054, April 1988)
- "Always the Light" (Creation CRE056, August 1988)