Thomas James Longley
|Thomas James Longley|
Longley at a fashion show for Reiss, July 2011
|Born||Thomas James Longley
22 April 1989
Canterbury, Kent, England, UK
Thomas James Longley (born 22 April 1989) is a British actor and model. Hailing from Canterbury, Kent, he grew up performing in plays throughout the Kent and London fringe scenes. In 2004, he achieved some prominence after garnering critical acclaim from The Times for his performance as the Archangel Gabriel in a revival of The Mystery Plays at Canterbury Cathedral.
Longley continued with occasional theatre work, including originating the role of Ben Leyton in the London tour of Kindred Spirits – The Musical, before being offered a place at the National Youth Theatre in London in 2008. After graduating, he went on to gain wider notice appearing in the independent British films Sparrow (2010) and Island (2012). In 2011, he became one of the new faces of Reiss fashion house.
Longley was born 22 April 1989 in Canterbury, Kent. The son of former Canterbury City F.C. chairman Keith and reflexologist Jill Longley, he grew up playing piano and attending drama classes. As a young writing student of Catherine Aird, Longley spent his youth training to write fiction. However, his interest in drama ultimately led him to both writing and acting in fringe theatre.
He continued in stage productions before being offered a place at the National Youth Theatre in London. While at drama school, he was trained by Amy Leach and Victoria Gould, and studied alongside actress Aruhan Galieva. In 2009, Longley graduated from the National Youth Theatre, and began to seek professional acting work.
Prior to joining the National Youth Theatre, Longley had received critical acclaim for his work in fringe theatre. In 2004, he was cast out of hundreds to feature as the Archangel Gabriel opposite Edward Woodward and Joseph McManners in a revival of The Mystery Plays at Canterbury Cathedral. For his performance, Longley achieved critical acclaim from The Times. For a short while, he was also associated with the Dickens Players, performing in works such as Hard Times and Macbeth. He also gained work appearing in a few stage plays, most notably as Benedick in a teen revival of Much Ado About Nothing and also as Ben Leyton in Kindred Spirits: The Musical written and produced by Dream Productions.
In March 2010, Longley was offered a lead role in Shaun Troke's horror Sparrow, which was filmed on location in Poland in July. It premiered in Katowice in October and is set to be released on DVD in late 2011. In February 2011, Longley was attached to appear as the lead character in the found footage film HAYZE. In March, production slowed down and he ultimately left the project. In August 2011, it was reported that Longley would appear in the apocalyptic thriller Island.
- England & Wales, Birth Index: 1984-2005
- "5 questions with Thomas James Longley". Portis Wasp. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "Revival of Medieval Mystery Plays". BBC News. 2004-08-05. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- "Sparrow's Thomas James Longley - A Badass Interview". Mediasaurs. 2010-08-11. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- "An interview with Thomas James Longley". Cinema Assassin. 2010-08-02. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- "Guy Candy: Thomas James Longley". Any Post For Me. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Hottie Of The Week: Thomas James Longley". 081978. 16 November 2011. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "New British Film ‘Island’ – a new take on Lord of the Flies with a very HOT cast member!". Popledge. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "Thomas James Longley Biography". Internet Movie Database. 2010-08-05. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- Kingston, Jeremy (2004-08-09). "The Mystery Plays: The Creation". The Times (iss.68149) (London). p. 31.
- Information attainable on the official Kindred Spirits website. Archived and offline.
- "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Trivia". Dark Horizons. 2009-07-15. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- "Preview: Indie Horror Film Sparrow". The Athletic Nerd. 2010-08-12. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- "Longley to explore Poltergeist Folklore in new found footage flick". THEIAPOLIS. 2011-02-02. Retrieved 2011-04-02.
- "Actor Thomas James Longley drops out of new British Indie Thriller "Hayze"". 2011-03-25. Retrieved 2011-04-02.
- "Thomas James Longley to star in the movie Island, a Lord of the Flies homage". In Rumor. 1 November 2011. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "Thomas James Longley is destined for the 'Island'". Pluz Media. 4 November 2011. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "The Island of dr. HELLO!". Boy Culture. 2 November 2011. Retrieved 1 December 2011.