Thunderbird High School
|Thunderbird High School|
|1750 W Thunderbird Rd
Phoenix, Arizona, 85023
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Glendale Union High School District|
|Enrollment||1,503 (October 1, 2012)|
|Website||Thunderbird High School|
Some schools in the Washington Elementary School District feed into Thunderbird High School.
Feeder junior high schools include Mountain Sky Junior High School and Cholla Middle School.
The school opened in 1972. Greenway High School opened the following year; both schools share the same architectural blueprints. Thunderbird had rotating walls and open concept classrooms when it opened. By 1976, the school had filled up with more than 2,100 students, in 1977 the first class to have gone all four years (freshman-senior) at the school graduated, and by 1979, that number reached its peak, with 2,742 students attending Thunderbird. Over time, enrollment declined, however; by the mid-1980s, the school's size increased at just below 2,000 students and has since slowly decreased to its current size.
- Danielle Ammaccapane, LPGA golfer
- Rhonda Rajsich, racquetball world champion
- Dexter Davis, professional football player
- Ron J. Friedman and Steve Bencich, Hollywood screenwriters for Chicken Little, Brother Bear, Open Season, and Cats & Dogs 2
- Kevin Long, batting coach, New York Yankees
- Nick DeLeon, soccer player
- Pablo Mastroeni, soccer player
- Georganne Moline, 2012 Olympian in track & field
- Jennifer Rubin, model and actress, Class of 1980
- Eric Sogard, current MLB player (Oakland Athletics)
- Anthony Burch, Leader Writer of Borderlands 2, Gearbox Software