The Tiffen Company is a company in Hauppauge, New York, U.S.A. which manufactures filters for photography, and other professional film and photography-related products. Founded in 1938, by Nat Tiffen with brothers Leo and Sol, the company has won several Academy Awards for technical achievements in filtration.
The company's main competitors are Harrison & Harrison Optical Engineers, Inc., Heliopan, Hoya, Schneider, Formatt, and Lee. Tiffen also owns the Steadicam, Domke, Lowel Light, Davis&Sanford, Listec, Stroboframe, Zing Designs brands and product lines.
Nat Tiffen of Tiffen Manufacturing Corporation received an Academy Award for technical achievements in filtration. The commendation reads:
- "For the production of high-quality, durable, laminated color filters for motion picture photography. Materials of uniform color characteristics are implanted between layers of optical glass and bonded together under extremes of heat and pressure. The outer surfaces are ground and polished to specified close tolerances, free of distortion and resistant to changes in temperature or humidity, then bound with a protective metal ring."
The 1999 award was presented on March 4, 2000.
- "In Loving Memory of Nat Tiffen".
- "1984 (57th Academy Awards)". Archived from the original on August 27, 2007.
- "1992 (65th Academy Awards)". Archived from the original on August 27, 2007.
- "Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences - 1999 Scientific & Technical Awards Winners". Archived from the original on August 21, 2008.
- "12 Win Academy Awards in Sci-Tech competition". Archived from the original on June 11, 2007.
|This filmmaking article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|