Tina O'Brien in July 2011
7 August 1983 |
Rusholme, Manchester, England
|Occupation||Actress, Drama School Teacher|
|Height||1.54 m (5 ft 1 in)|
|Television||Waterloo Road (2010-2011)
Coronation Street (1999-2007)
|Partner(s)||Ryan Thomas (2003–09)|
|Children||Scarlett Jacqueline Thomas (born 2008)|
Born in Rusholme, Manchester, O'Brien left Trinity C.E. High School with nine GCSEs. She starred in the drama Children's Ward in 1997, The Cops in 1998 and Clocking Off in 2000, playing the on-screen half sister of actor Jack P. Shepherd who later became her on-screen brother David in Coronation Street. At the age of sixteen, she joined Coronation Street in October 1999, taking over the role of Sarah-Louise Platt from Lynsay King (she was three years older than her character). Sarah's pregnancy with baby Bethany won O'Brien Best Storyline at the British Soap Awards. She has also won best newcomer at the National Television Awards, and the TV Quick Awards. O'Brien revealed in the British press in April 2007 that she would be leaving Coronation Street before the end of the year. Her first role after leaving Coronation Street was in the 2007 pantomime at Manchester Opera House, where she played the title character of Cinderella. Her first television role post-Coronation Street was in the ITV police drama Blue Murder, filmed whilst four months pregnant, in which she played a character called Amy Kirkland. O'Brien expressed interest in doing televised dramas and theatre work, although after becoming pregnant, she decided to put her career on hold.
In 2010, O'Brien starred in the sixth series of BBC school drama Waterloo Road as Bex Fisher, the eldest daughter of the new headmistress Karen Fisher. In 2010, she also appeared in The Secret Diaries of Miss Anne Lister, in which she played the character of Miss Browne, a role which required her first on-screen lesbian kiss. Later in 2010, she appeared as a character in new television drama The Accused written by Jimmy McGovern, as well as starring in the 2010 series of Strictly Come Dancing. Her partner was Jared Murillo and she was unable to perform in the 3rd week due to illness. She was eliminated in the 5th week of the competition after failing to impress the viewers with her Argentine Tango. She fell into the bottom two alongside Felicity Kendal who was saved thanks to the public vote.
From December 4, 2010 to January 3, 2011 she played Snow White in Manchester Opera House's 2010/11 pantomime. Between 14 January and 13 February 2011, she participated in the 2011 Strictly Come Dancing Live Tour.[clarification needed]
O'Brien is the godmother of Emily Walton, who plays Bethany, her on-screen daughter. O'Brien was in a relationship with Ryan Thomas, who played her on-screen husband Jason Grimshaw from 2003 to 2009. Their daughter, Scarlett Jacqueline Thomas was born at Manchester General Hospital on 26 October 2008.
O'Brien is a patron of the charity Animals in Distress Sanctuary.
|2012||Crime Stories||Justine Peplow|
|2012||Call the Midwife||Cathy Powell|
|2010||Accused||Leanne Lang||Legal Drama|
|2010–11||Waterloo Road||Bex Fisher||Guest in 6x01 and 6x10, Regular from 6x11-6x20|
|2010||The Secret Diaries of Miss Anne Lister||Miss Browne||TV Programme|
|2009||Blue Murder||Amy Kirkland||TV Programme|
|2005||Coronation Street Pantomime||Sarah Louise Platt|
|2002||Dick Wittington||Maid of Tonga||TV Adaptation|
|2000||Clocking Off||Adele Kolakowski|
|1999–2007||Coronation Street||Sarah-Louise Platt|
|1998||The Cops||Underage Girl|
- "Tina: I'm quitting Corrie". The Sun. 2007-04-04. Retrieved 2007-04-04.
- TV - News - Ali G clears up at TV Quick Awards - Digital Spy
- Soaps - News - Tina O'Brien wants "meaty" drama role - Digital Spy
- Soaps - News - O'Brien: 'Corrie return might be a strain' - Digital Spy
- TV - News - Ex-Corrie star joins 'Waterloo Road' - Digital Spy
- TV - News - Tina O'Brien: 'Lesbian kiss felt normal' - Digital Spy
- TV - News - Tina O’Brien signs up for 'Strictly'? - Digital Spy
- Corrie's Tina O'Brien is Snow White - News - Whatsonstage.com
- "The Show - Strictly Come Dancing - The Live TourStrictly Come Dancing - The Live Tour". Strictlycomedancinglive.com. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- Showbiz - News - Ex-Corrie star Tina buys new home - Digital Spy
- "Coronation Street stars Tina O'Brien and Ryan Thomas split after furious rows" Daily Mail Reporter, 9 November 2009
- Showbiz - News - Tina O'Brien is expecting first child - Digital Spy
- Showbiz - News - Tina O'Brien gives birth to daughter - Digital Spy
- "FHM 100 Sexiest Women in the World 2005". Yahoo Entertainment. Retrieved 2007-04-23.
- "FHM 100 Sexiest Women in the World 2006". The Sun. Retrieved 2007-04-04.
- "Our patron, Tina O'Brien". Animals in Distress. 2006-07-27. Retrieved 2007-04-04.
- News Article
- [dead link]
- BBC - Press Office - Accused: cast and crew