His 21 books of photographs, poems, and essays primarily cover the gay male experience.
In 1990, St. Martins Press published Out of the Studio, Bianchi’s book of male nudes, frankly gay and affectionally connected. Thereafter, 20 of Bianchi’s books have been published, three documentary films about Bianchi’s work have been distributed, and Bianchi’s work has been published in more than thirty anthologies on the male nude. His On the Couch series, Deep Sex, Erotic Triggers and "Fine Art Sex deal with the expression of conscious sexual energy. His most recent book made with his lover / partner Ben Smales, Fire Island Pines Polaroids 1975 - 1983 was honored by Time Magazine's list of the Best Photo Books of 2013.
Personal life and AIDS activism
Bianchi was born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago. He got a law degree at Northwestern and practiced corporate law for ten years. At thirty -four he left his position as Senior Counsel at Columbia Pictures, tore up his law degree, pasted it into a painting and had his first one man show with Betty Parsons and Carol Dreyfuss in New York. Shortly thereafter, He had his first major museum retrospective at the Spoleto Festival in 1984. Bianchi studied Political Science at the University of New Mexico, and subsequently law at Northwestern University. He worked as a lawyer in Chicago and Washington, D.C. Bianchi currently resides in Palm Springs, California.
Bianchi, who is HIV positive, has been active in several projects devoted to the fight against AIDS. He is the cofounder of a biotech company and manages the funding for the development of new AIDS medication.
- 2013 TOM BIANCHI GALLERY – Solo Show - "Fire Island Polaroids | Men In Blue Water | Classic Black and Whites"
- 2009 EXPOSURE GALLERY, PALM SPRINGS - MEN IN BLUE WATER – SOLO SHOW – photos
- 2008 PHILIP HITCHCOCK GALLERY, ST LOUIS - FIRE ISLAND PINES – SOLO SHOW – Polaroid SX-70s Fire Island Pines in the 1970s
- 2008 EXPOSURE GALLERY, PALM SPRINGS - FIRE ISLAND PINES – SOLO SHOW – Polaroid SX-70s taken in the Pines in the 1970s
- 2007 JEAN ALBANO GALLERY, CHICAGO - RELATIONSHIPS – GROUP SHOW – photos
- 2006 JEAN ALBANO GALLERY, CHICAGO – SOLO SHOW – photos
- 2006 EXPOSURE GALLERY, PALM SPRINGS - TOM BIANCHI, MEN IN BLUE WATER – SOLO SHOW – photos
- 2006 EXPOSURE GALLERY, PALM SPRINGS - ARCHITECTURE – GROUP SHOW – photos
- 2006 EXPOSURE GALLERY, PALM SPRINGS - CLASSIC NUDES – GROUP SHOW – photos
- 2005 JERRY MILLER GALLERY, PALM SPRINGS - SOLO SHOW – drawings
- 2005 JERRY MILLER GALLERY, PALM SPRINGS – On The Couch - SOLO SHOW – photos
- 2005 DENNIS O’CONNOR GALLERY, TORONTO - On The Couch – SOLO SHOW – photos
- 2003 PHOTOGRAPHY INSTITUTE, TOKYO - SOLO SHOW LIVING WITH DICKENS
- 2002 MILWAUKEE ART INSTITUTE, MILWAUKEE – GROUP SHOW – The Male Figure – photos – curated by William Doan
- Out of the Studio (1991)
- Living with Dickens (1993)
- Bob and Rod (1994)
- Extraordinary Friends (1995)
- In Defense of Beauty (1995)
- Bianchi: Outpost (1996)
- Among Women (1996)
- In the Studio (1998)
- Men I've Loved: Prose, Poems and Pictures (2001)
- On the Couch Vol. 1 (2002)
- On the Couch Vol. 2 (2004)
- Deep Sex (2006)
- Murphy, Tim. "Once On This Island". Out.com (Regent Entertainment Media Inc.). Retrieved 2009-01-30.