Tom M. Apostol
|Tom M. Apostol|
|Born||1923 (age 89–90)
|Institutions||California Institute of Technology|
|Alma mater||University of Washington (B.S., Chemical Engineering, 1944; M.S., Mathematics, 1946)
University of California, Berkeley (Ph.D., Mathematics, 1948)
|Doctoral advisor||Derrick Henry Lehmer|
|Doctoral students||Basil Gordon
He was born in Helper, Utah in 1923. His parents, Emmanouil Apostolopoulos and Efrosini Papathanasopoulos, originated from Greece. Mr. Apostolopoulos's name was shortened to Mike Apostol when he obtained his United States citizenship, and Tom Apostol inherited this Americanized surname.
Apostol received his Bachelor of Science in chemical engineering in 1944, Master's degree in mathematics from the University of Washington in 1946, and a PhD in mathematics from the University of California, Berkeley in 1948. Apostol has since been a faculty member at UC Berkeley, MIT, and Caltech. He is the author of several influential graduate and undergraduate level textbooks.
He is a well-known teacher. He is the creator and project director for Project MATHEMATICS! producing videos which explore basic topics in high school mathematics. He has helped popularize the visual calculus devised by Mamikon Mnatsakanian with whom he has also written a number of papers, many of which appeared in the American Mathematical Monthly. Apostol also provided academic content for an acclaimed video lecture series on introductory physics, The Mechanical Universe.
- Albers, Donald J.; Apostol, Tom (1997). "An Interview with Tom Apostol". The College Mathematics Journal (Mathematical Association of America). 28, No. 4 (4): 250–270. doi:10.2307/2687147. JSTOR 2687147.
- Tom M. Apostol at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- «Professor Elected to Greek Academy», Caltech Media Relations.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2012-11-03.
- Mathematical Analysis: A modern approach to advanced calculus, (1957) Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-00288-4
- Introduction to Analytic Number Theory, (1976) Springer-Verlag, New York. ISBN 0-387-90163-9
- Modular Functions and Dirichlet Series in Number Theory, (1990) Springer-Verlag, New York. ISBN 0-387-90185-X
- Calculus, Volume 1, One-variable calculus, with an introduction to linear algebra, (1967) Wiley, ISBN 0-536-00005-0, ISBN 978-0-471-00005-1
- Calculus, Volume 2, Multi-variable calculus and linear algebra with applications to differential equations and probability, (1969) Wiley, ISBN 0-471-00008-6
- The Mechanical Universe: Mechanics and Heat, Advanced Edition ISBN 0-521-30432-6 (with Steven C. Frautschi, Richard P. Olenick, and David L. Goodstein)
- Tom M. Apostol, Professor of Mathematics, Emeritus, Caltech
- A VISUAL Approach to CALCULUS problems
- Entry on IMDB
- Project MATHEMATICS!
|This article about an American mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Greek mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|