|Thomas K. Norment, Jr.|
|Member of the Virginia Senate
from the 3rd district
January 8, 1992
|Preceded by||William E. Fears|
April 12, 1946 |
Richmond, Virginia, U.S.
|Residence||James City County, Virginia|
|Alma mater||Virginia Military Institute
Marshall-Wythe School of Law
|Committees||Commerce and Labor; Courts of Justice; Finance; Rules|
Thomas K. "Tommy" Norment, Jr. (born April 12, 1946, in Richmond, Virginia) is the current Republican Majority Leader of the Senate of Virginia. He has served in the Virginia General Assembly since 1992. He represents the 3rd senatorial district of the Virginia Senate, which includes parts of the Virginia Peninsula, plus New Kent County and Gloucester County on the Middle Peninsula.
William and Mary
In 2008, Norment requested an opinion from Attorney General Robert McDonnell stating "at no time will I assume a relationship of 'attorney-client' that would result in the exercising of any attorney client privilege or any work product privilege. It is my understanding the College would continue to rely upon legal services through the Office of Attorney General." Attorney General McDonnell concludes his opinion to Norment that "it is my opinion that you do not have an impermissible conflict of interest under the Act based on the facts herein." McDonnell writes "I affirm the intention that your relationship with the College will not be that of attorney and client."
Current Attorney General, Kenneth T. Cuccinelli, released the Norment opinion to the public and issued a press release on September 2, 2011. The press release states the following: "Recent public statements made by state Senator Thomas Norment suggest that for the past several years, he assumed a role of legal counsel for the College of William & Mary. One of his reported statements also incorrectly implied that a 2008 opinion he requested from the Office of the Attorney General affirmed that such an arrangement would be acceptable under the law."
- Senate of Virginia
- William and Mary Law School
- Virginia Gazette
- Case Finder
- Virginia Attorney General
- "Senator Thomas K. Norment, Jr.; Minority Leader; Republican - District 3". Senate of Virginia. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "William and Mary Law School; Adjunct Faculty". William and Mary Law School. Retrieved 2011-09-10.
- "Virginia Gazette; Q&A with Tommy Norment". Virginia Gazette. Retrieved 2011-09-10.
- "Norment Attorney General Opinion Request". CaseFinder. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- "Attorney General Norment Opinion". Virginia Gazette. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- "Attorney General Sept. 2, 2011 Press Release". Virginia Attorney General. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- Tommy Norment; Virginia Senate (constituent website)
- "Virginia Public Access Project; Thomas K. Norment, Jr.". Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Virginia State Board of Elections; Election Information; Election Results". Retrieved 2008-11-01.
|This article about a Virginia State Senator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|