Typhoon (American band)
|Labels||Tender Loving Empire, MapleMusic Recordings (Canada)|
|Associated acts||The Thermals, The Decemberists|
Typhoon is an American indie rock band from Oregon. The band has eleven members. They have released four albums, two EPs, a split 7-inch record with Olympia-based band Lake, and have contributed to a number of compilations. The band originated in Salem, Oregon in 2005 but is now based in Portland, Oregon. They are signed to the indie record label Tender Loving Empire.
Typhoon's music is marked by complicated arrangements and careful orchestration. Live performances routinely involve 12 or more band members playing at once. According to Lauren Rosenthal at mySpoonful which describes new music: "The group masterfully combines indie rock instrumentals and vocals with violins, percussion, hand claps, xylophone, horns and a choir of other instruments, making for inspiring and catchy songs."
Their early recordings reveal a greater degree of experimentation with various styles, including a number of "sea shanties", country western and Eastern European-inspired songs. Their more recent output, including their album Hunger & Thirst and its companion EP, A New Kind of House, show a more focused and consistent sound, and a greater focus on creating a cohesive thematic through-line. Many of the songs are preoccupied with mortality and directly reference lead singer and primary songwriter Kyle Morton's own struggle with Lyme Disease as a child.
In 2010 Typhoon was voted number two on Willamette Week's annual list of the top ten best new bands in Portland. Their music has appeared on the SyFy series Being Human and the NBC series Chuck. They have opened for The Thermals, Quasi, Yann Tiersen, Explosions in the Sky, The Decemberists, and The Shins and toured with Lady Lamb the Beekeeper. Their song "The Honest Truth" was ranked #3 in Paste magazine's list of the 50 best songs of 2011.
- Kyle Morton (lead vocals, guitar)
- Toby Tanabe (bass, vocals)
- Dave Hall (guitar, vocals)
- Pieter Hilton (drums, vocals)
- Alex Fitch (drums, vocals)
- Tyler Ferrin (horns, vocals)
- Ryan McAlpin (trumpet, vocals)
- Eric Stipe (trumpet, vocals)
- Devin Gallagher (percussion, ukulele, vocals)
- Shannon Steele (violin, vocals)
- Jen Hufnagel (violin, vocals)
- Jordan Bagnall (viola, accordion, keyboard, vocals)
- Casey O'Brien (drums)
- Conlan Murphy (guitar, percussion, banjo, vocals)
- Paige Morton (violin, vocals)
- Samantha Kushnick (cello, vocals)
- Nora Zimmerly (vocals, piano)
- Grant Hall
- 2005 Typhoon
- 2010 Hunger and Thirst
- 2011 From Boy Gorilla and Beyond, a compilation of songs released before signing to record label Tender Loving Empire
- 2013 White Lighter
- 2007 Dearborn Sessions
- 2011 A New Kind of House
- 2007 Split, with Lake
- "Watch Typhoon on The Late Show with David Letterman". Typhoon. Retrieved 2011-08-06.
- Rosenthal, Lauren. "Typhoon". mySpoonful. Retrieved 13 July 2011.
- Allen, Dave. "An Interview with Kyle of Typhoon". Pampelmoose.com. Retrieved 24 July 2011.
- Mannheimer, Michael. "Best New Bands of 2010". Willamette Week. Willamette Week. Retrieved 13 July 2011.
- "The 50 Best Songs of 2011", Paste, November 2011.