June 15, 1950 |
|Alma mater||Hacettepe University|
Board member of
|International Olympic Committee, National Olympic Committee of Turkey|
Uğur Erdener (born June 15, 1950) is a Turkish physician specialized in ophthalmology and professor at the Hacettepe University, Ankara. He is currently a member of the International Olympic Committee and President of the National Olympic Committee of Turkey.
Uğur Erdener was born on June 15, 1950 in Trabzon. Due to his father's profession, he completed the prinmary school in Van and the secondary school in Bandırma. After graduating from the Gazi High School in Ankara, he studied in the Faculty of Madicine at Hacettepe University, graduating in 1977 with a degree.
He carried out his specialization in oculoplastic surgery. Erdener became associate professor at Hacettepe University in 1996, and full professor in 2001. His research fields consists of oculoplastics, orbital implants and ocular prostheses in theory and praixis.
From 2000 on, Erdener served as the director general of the university's hospitals. On December 25, 2007, he was appointed Rector of the university and served at this position until December 2011. Even though he received the most votes at the rector election, his second term was not approved by the President of Turkey.
During his youth, Erdener was an active amateur sportsman competing in athletics, particularly in triple jump, and playing basketball, where he in later years was a successful coach.
After functioning as a judge in archery competitions, he was elected four times president of the Turkish Archery Federation over a time span of 23 years. He served five years long as the president of the European and Mediterranean Archery Union (EMAU). In 2005, Erdener was elected President of the International Archery Federation (FITA) that changed its name to World Archery Federation (WA) in 2009 under his leadership.
A member of the National Olympic Committee of Turkey, Erdener was admitted to the board of International Olympic Committee at its assembly held on August 7, 2008 in Beijing, China. On April 12, 2011, he was elected President of the Turkish National Olympic Committee after his predecessor Togay Bayatlı resigned due to his health problems.
- "Prof. Dr. Uğur Erdener'in Özgeçmişi" (in Turkish). Üniversite Hastaneleri Birliği. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- "Prof Dr Ugur Erdener (TUR), World Archery President". Archery. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- Dielen, Tom (2011-04-12). "Dr Erdener elected Turkish NOC President". World Archery. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- Lıcalı, Mahmut (2011-12-02). "Hacettepe'de sıra değişti". Cumhuriyet Eğitim (in Turkish). Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- "Bayatlı’nın yerine Uğur Erdener". Hürriyet Spor (in Turkish). 2011-04-13. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- "Eski eşler rakip". Hürriyet Spor (in Turkish). 2004-10-15. Retrieved 2012-10-26.