The Ultra-High-Performance lamp, a high-pressure mercury arc lamp often known by the Philips trademark UHP, was originally known as the ultra-high-pressure lamp. It was developed by Philips in 1995 for use in commercial projection systems, home theatre projectors, MD-PTVs and video walls. Unlike other common mercury vapor lamps used in projection systems, it is not a metal halide lamp, but uses only mercury. Philips claims a lifetime of over 10,000 hours for the lamps. These lamps are highly efficient compared to other projection lamps – a single 132 watt UHP lamp is used by DLP manufacturers such as Samsung and RCA to power their DLP rear-projection TV lines, however Laser Display technology could be the superseding technology due to its increased longevity and display characteristics.
Known manufacturers of high pressure discharge lamps (UHP or similar)
- Iwasaki (HSCR)
- Osram/Sylvania (P-VIP)
- Panasonic, Matsushita (HS)
- Philips (UHP)
- Phoenix (SHP)
- Ushio (NSH)
- Panasonic (UHM)
Devices using UHP lamps
- Samsung DLP rear-projection TV sets.
- Sony LCD rear-projection TV sets.
- Most Digital Projectors Manufactured post 2001 (except LED projectors)
- Olympus ILP-2 High Intensity Light Source
- Mitsubishi DLP Projection Televisions
- Barco Sim7 series LCoS simulation projectors
- Guenther Derra et al. (2005). "UHP lamp systems for projection applications". J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 38 (17): 2995–3010. doi:10.1088/0022-3727/38/17/R01.
- Pavel Pekarski et al. (2003). "UHP Lamps for Projection Systems". International Conference on Phenomena in Ionized Gases (Philips Research Laboratories, Weisshausstr.2, D-52066 Aachen, Germany).
- Flesch, Peter (2006). Light and Light Sources: High-intensity Discharge Lamps. Springer. p. 39. ISBN 9783540326854.
- Richard, Cadena (2012). Automated Lighting: The Art and Science of Moving Light in Theatre, Live Performance and Entertainment. CRC Press. p. 565. ISBN 9781136085253.
-  Philips, UHP lamp manufacturer.
-  DLP information site, FixYourDLP.com.
-  Texas Instruments' DLP website.
-  Where to find original UHP FRONT PROJECTION replacement lamps: Philips Digital Projection Lighting website
-  Make sure it's an original! : Philips Digital Projection Lighting official brochure to educate people on the importance of buying and using an ORIGINAL lamp